Subject: First session with Dragonspire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles the Dragon
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After spending a decent amount of time organizing the cards as we had just received the game in the mail that evening, it was fairly late. I simply requested of her that we get a game started so she knows what it is like. She loves Dominion afterall

She agreed to start a game so I chose the "First Game" setup. I had just recently played Thunderstone with the WotE expansion at a friend's house so I was familiar with the general rules. I setup the table and explained the general rules to her as we played. She grasped them very quickly and seemed to enjoy it from the start.

Anyway, I can't get into too much detail as I didn't take notes, but here is how it went in summary:

I immediately was interested in the Stoneguard Hero and was fortunate enough to get 8 coin early on to get one of them. Kelaru (My Wife's username) started off a bit slower but got the Scout fairly early on and used it a couple times to help her setup her next hand in hopes for an early dungeon success.

I was getting fortunate with my Stoneguard early on, allowing me a couple early successful Dungeon trips. I grabbed the Guardian sword early on and was able to pair it with my Stoneguard a couple times with some lucky draws. I ended up getting 2 more Stoneguards in my deck by the end.

Kelaru was having a slower Dungeon start but was buying up all sorts of things in the Village. She got Frost Bolt early on and liked that but was immediately realizing she needed more light because she was often getting "so close" to besting one of the monsters in the Dungeon but the light was always the limiting factor. She bought the soul gem fairly early on even though she only had level 1 heroes at the time.

Her first hero purchase was Balzur (sp?) the Cleric. He didn't help too much in the beginning of the game but she ended up leveling him to 3 and got a couple Stoneguards and the Thief Rat person. (this is all from memory right now so I'm forgetting the names) She definitely figured out her light problem as she was gaining momentum in the Dungeon trips and catching up to me as I was starting to stall out, getting monsters in my draws often.

I ended up with one level 3 and two level 2 Stoneguard heroes along with the Wizard hero that I never leveled up. I had 2 or 3 Guardian blades and that Gauntlet that I was often able to pair up with my Stoneguards... = awesome!

By the end of the game we were both drawing quite capable hands but, to our chagrin, the monsters were becoming easier and easier. I ended the game as soon as I was able by using the Scout to move the Thunderstone to the top of the deck. It was easy to breech the Thunderstone since the monsters were HP 3 and 4 that were out.

Back to the beginning of this post, notice that we finished the game? She ended up having enough fun that the time just flew. I even reminded her of the time mid-game and she said, "I'm having too much fun to quit now!"

Anyway the end score was me winning at 36 VP and her with 26. I thought she did a wonderful job of catching up to my early successes, especially for her first game.

We can't wait to start our next game using the randomizers and, hopefully, some Dungeon Features
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read your first-game session report, and it couldn't have been more different from mine! I'm quite jealous...

My partner loves Dominion too. So I was hopeful she'd like this game. I set up using the suggested "First Game" cards and kicked off with the explanations. Her face was filled with scorn from the first minute. (I suggested postponing for another night, but she insisted she'd give it a go.) Initial complaints from her were that there was too much information on the cards - too many numbers without explanations; she hated the artwork; she couldn't accept cards as representing magic (a particularly unfair complaint I thought); the writing was too small to read; she didn't like having additional plastic tokens; she couldn't understand the light system; it was all just too geeky etc.

After 75 minutes or so (fair play to her - she stuck with it! Despite looking very glum throughout - I did offer to stop playing many times...)
she asked "Will it EVER end?". So we counted up our points without finding the Thunderstone, and she won decisively. She said she thought it wasn't a game for her, and I doubt it will leave the shelf again. (Although I might give the solo-game a go, and might be able to get a game or two in with friends).

Not a fun first experience - saddest of all, I quite like the game...

Back to Dominion then. (And grateful to have a partner who loves this game at least!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we did a graphic redesign with Thunderstone Advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles the Dragon
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
I just read your first-game session report, and it couldn't have been more different from mine! I'm quite jealous...

My partner loves Dominion too. So I was hopeful she'd like this game. I set up using the suggested "First Game" cards and kicked off with the explanations. Her face was filled with scorn from the first minute. (I suggested postponing for another night, but she insisted she'd give it a go.) Initial complaints from her were that there was too much information on the cards - too many numbers without explanations; she hated the artwork; she couldn't accept cards as representing magic (a particularly unfair complaint I thought); the writing was too small to read; she didn't like having additional plastic tokens; she couldn't understand the light system; it was all just too geeky etc.

After 75 minutes or so (fair play to her - she stuck with it! Despite looking very glum throughout - I did offer to stop playing many times...)
she asked "Will it EVER end?". So we counted up our points without finding the Thunderstone, and she won decisively. She said she thought it wasn't a game for her, and I doubt it will leave the shelf again. (Although I might give the solo-game a go, and might be able to get a game or two in with friends).

Not a fun first experience - saddest of all, I quite like the game...

Back to Dominion then. (And grateful to have a partner who loves this game at least!)

Well you can't please everyone, I guess. I haven't tried the solo game yet but I gather that it seems pretty neat. You haven't wasted your money at least!

You say she didn't like the plastic tokens, which makes me curious if she'd prefer the original XP cards. I played one game of Thunderstone (original) and I'm superbly glad AEG went with the plastic tokens.

Also--and I'm not arguing but rather making an observation--about the complaint of too much information on the cards without explanation. Think what the cards would look like if each number and icon had an explanation on it! Talk about too much information! Really, though, if those are the complaints, it probably means she'll never really "get" the game. That's cool, though. To each their own. It's nice that she enjoys Dominion, which my Wife and I thoroughly enjoy, too.

All I can say is, don't let your partner's disdain for the game ruin it for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.