Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ystari games but am not sure I need another civilization game. If I enjoy 7 Wonders... Should I consider Olympos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because Olympos is a much better, richer, more complicated game.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Olympos, but I've read reviews and the rules. I don't think these games are remotely similar; if you think Olympos seems fun, I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're very different types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
They're very different types of games.

This. These games are so different, the question nearly doesn't make sense. I'd say just look the rules over and make a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what Dave and Gary said. This is less apples and oranges and more apples and benches, the games are nothing alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Yeah, what Dave and Gary said. This is less apples and oranges and more apples and benches, the games are nothing alike.

Well, it's more like red delicious apples and red benches.

You see, there's the same color. So clearly, you don't want both...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these answers. I know I need to read the rules but wanted to see if I could save myself the trouble

Regardless, though, what is interesting in this discussion is that you all seem to think that games are different enough if they have different mechanics while sharing a similar theme (ie civilization building in antiquity).

As I enjoy themes immensely, I tend to feel that games are different based on theme first and mechanics second. How many western games do I need? How many games taking place in antiquity do it need? How many WWII games do I need? etc...

Anyway, thanks for answering my question and I am off to print out the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
7 Wonders is a great ~30 minute mid-weight filler that plays from 2-7 players. It's arguably the "best in class" game in that genre.

Olympos takes 2-3 times as long to play, is a heavier game and plays from 3-5 players.

Disregarding some thematic similarities, as others have said... the games are very different and I don't think owning one precludes having the other as well.

I could see restricting a gaming collection from having too many similarly themed games but in this case when the games are so different I think that's stretching things pretty far.

Personally I'd recommend 7 Wonders before Olympos just because of the flexibility to play with a wide range of players and the fact you can play several games in a couple hours... and squeeze in a game or two when you have odd numbers of people... say when waiting for another longer game to finish etc. For that reason alone I think 7 Wonders deserves a lot of credit as a game with solid tactical gameplay (if not the most strategic).

Olympos is also a decent game but is a little less "flexible" and it has a larger group of competitors in its class of "meaty 60-90 minute mid-weight Euros". Basically I'd reach for many other games to put on the table before Olympos if we wanted a reasonably heavy game to play for the next hour or so. Not that the game is bad... it's just not "tops in its class" imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.