Subject: Vietnam Revolts + China Card 1 - 2 Punch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to make sure I'm understanding the rules correctly....

Say you are USSR and you hold China Card and Vietnam Revolts

USSR Headlines Vietnam Revolts
AR1 - Play China card

Essentially do I now have a +6 opps card to run rampant in SE Asia -

6 Opps should certainly uproot an early US involvement in Thailand, or simply take it out right if they aren't there already....

Yes/No??

Still learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
If the DEFCON isn't at least 3, then playing Vietnam Revolts means the US player will coup Vietnam with excellent odds, and although you can coup it right back, that means you've invested some ops doing it.

Also, Vietnam is only adjacent to Laos/Cambodia and Thailand, so, yes, the China card gives you 6ops, but do you really want to spend 6ops on the triangle all at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the China Card should be saved only for emergencies (you need the 5 ops in one shot, all your other cards are too low, you have so many bad cards that Space-ing one and holding one is not enough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative US response (if, say DEFCON is low enough already that the Vietnam coup isn't an option) is to just beef up Thailand. Say the US controls Thailand at 2-0. In response to Vietnam Revolts, they beef up Thailand to 4-0 for 2 ops, and then all 6 ops off the China Card amount to the US still being ahead 4-3, and they can recontrol for a paltry 1 op.

That said, Vietnam Revolts works decently as a headline. Then you can jump into Thailand with your first action before the US can really respond. The downside is that then your first action of the turn is spent placing influence and not couping, ceding the first (or maybe only) coup of the turn to the US. But it is a tactic to occasionally consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.