Hide
7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5 player game without the Starks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ka D'argo
msg tools

My gaming group has played this game 4 times now and although I'm not sure yet if I'm convinced that the game is broken in a 5 player setup, I think it can be frustrating to watch Tyrell and Baratheon easily pick up neutral territories while everyone else struggles to grab at new land. We've also noticed that the Starks seem to be the hardest house to figure out what you can do to really influence others on the board. One idea our group had was to try a 5-player where House Stark was the one house not represented.

In lieu of putting in neutral tokens up north and letting the Greyjoys just go at it, we were thinking that the whole area north of the river could just be cut off. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious what others here think. I think this setup would cause more intense interact between the houses (if it can be any more intense) and I could see it causing some problems for Greyjoy.

Looking forward to thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it will work. Greyjoy has such powerful cards that taking away one of their two main threats, merely in exchange for not having access to Winterfell and White Harbour, will leave them overpowered. Sure, Baratheon may head north and contest Moat Cailin, but they'll also be busy further south, and I really don't think it will be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting variant, let me know how it goes.

As a supplementary idea, while cutting off the lands, perhaps you could keep the oceans there and "connect" them, allowing fleets to go one way or the other via a northern passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tagore Nakornchai
United Kingdom
Putney
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that 5 player is broken with Greyjoy - with Lannister occupied with Greyjoy, it's often too easy for Barateon to expand pretty much uncontested, and removing Stark removes a major threat to Baratheon's northern flank (in particular, it would allow Bara to just walk into the Eyrie without fighting Stark for the Narrow Sea), which would further tilt the game in Bara's favour.

Stark will be stronger in a Greyjoy-less game (with, say, an unassaultable Pyke) and will be less threatend, so this would keep the strengthened Lannister and Baratheon in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to playtest this (keeping House Martell with less than 6 players + cutting off access to the northern territories) the other day but my gaming group cancelled at the last second I think this has potential for the 5 player game. Or even a 4 player game - the key being House Martell may be able to better limit the "Baratheon dominanation" of games with less than 6 players. Call this variant "Southron Squabbles" devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Played a game last night without Greyjoy (and made Pyke off limits, so Lannister couldn't get a free stronghold), and Tyrell ended up winning. I think the game as a whole worked really well. With Greyjoy out and Martell to the south, Baratheon ended up pushing North and Stark and Lannister went at it around Seagard early. I think with first time players, it might be best to leave Martell out, but if you've played a game or two, I think leaving Greyjoy out feels really balanced.

However, I can't say this was a representative game. It went Clash of Kings on Turn 2, Supply on Turn 2-3 (which left everyone with 3 or less all game), and then 3 consecutive musterings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Walker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 5 player game with Stark tonight. It worked very well, as far as I could tell. I had played many games, 3 players had played once, and 1 player was new but picked it up quickly. We cut off all the land above Moat Cailin and Greywater Watch, including the Shivering Sea and the Bay of Ice.

The compact area made it interesting and intense. Things started slowly, with all players consolidating the territory surrounding their capitols, but after the first two turns battles were happening all over. I was Lannister, and ended up winning. I crushed Greyjoy's navy and (after a failed attempt that destroyed one siege engine) took Pyke with a siege engine. Tyrell played fairly well and (after taking Flint's Fingers) almost won a surprise victory. (We were only playing to 6 castles.) The next turn, I took two castles for the win, but the battles involved were very close. Tyrell drew a TOB card of +3 at Flint's Fingers, which almost won the battle for him, but I drew a +1 card to tie (and win on Fiefdoms).

I will play this again if possible. Having an experienced player on Lannister, combined with a relatively inexperienced player on Greyjoy, may have made it a better game. Without Stark, Greyjoy might be overpowered. But promising so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.