Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey hey,

So I take a lot of inspiration from computer games, a few years back someone wrote a game which was played as if you were blind. A black screen with only sounds to guide you.

I do enjoy a good game co-operatively and have been thinking, can anyone see a game where one player was denied the ability to see and one the ability to hear? I don't know how it would work per-se, the one who couldn't see would be responsible for moving a character from one end of the board to the other, with the other player communicating the dangers faced....

Random I know but wondered what people might be able to take from the idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might work.

There's one event in Funfair that works with one player unable to see; they play a grabbing crane "arm" and their partner, who can see the prizes directs them with vocal commands.

Hanabi allows each player to see the other player's cards, but not their own - and communication is very restricted. So a very minimalist form of sensory deprivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
StormKnight wrote:
There's one event in Funfair that works with one player unable to see; they play a grabbing crane "arm" and their partner, who can see the prizes directs them with vocal commands.

Visionary uses a similar idea.

One of my favorite interactive fiction titles, Suspended: A Cryogenic Nightmare, had various sensory robots you operated remotely to solve the puzzles. It was all text-based, but the idea was brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
blunder1983 wrote:
a few years back someone wrote a game which was played as if you were blind. A black screen with only sounds to guide you.

Papa Sangre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jimenez
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of similar is a game called something like 'Click to win' that's used to teach principles of positive reinforcement to dog trainers. One person isn't blind, but no talking is allowed - all the 'trainer' can do is communicate 'good' by snapping a clicker. The trainer gets a card and has to shape the trainee into doing what's on the card. Not quite 'blind' but trying to communicate the desire for someone to do a complex task without words is... interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of taking away a person's ability to hear in a game. Games should be social, and taking away the chatting and the laughter just ruins that.

Blindness or the inability to see something important could be interesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game did this in a way as you blundered about a dark dungeon. Your only clues where walls or the dragon were was when you bumped into a wall when trying to move. It used sound cues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.