United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmb
I went to look at your collection as recommended and noticed your rankings. Since you gave Battletech an 8 that probably makes it the safer choice. I enjoy Federation Commander but since you rated Star Trek: STCS a 1 I'd be afraid that Federation Commander might have a similar element that you would strongly dislike even though I tend to think of all 3 as being in the same family of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
I enjoy Federation Commander but since you rated Star Trek: STCS a 1...

Oh, jeez - I totally forgot about that, I rated a ton of GW games a 1 as a joke on someone a long time ago. I need to go in and fix that!

Any way I can get the community to ignore that particular blunder on this?

Oh, okay. Since your group wants to stick together you might consider scenarios that allow each player 2 or more units where the scenario is likely to end before a player loses all of their units. Having an individual player's multiple units start apart, with different assignments also staves off player elimination.

I mention this because it impacts the game decision.

It has been a loooong time since I played Battletech but it seems like it would take a long time to complete for that many players with multiple units.

Federation Commander might work better for that with the fleet scale ships. Still the parsing of the movement and the damage allocation in Federation Commander can still add up for that many players/units. While one is allocating damage, all others can be awaiting their next move.

I'm not trying to talk you out of FC which I enjoy but have you considered other tactical space systems already in getting to FC?

Between the two I'd go with FC. Fair warning though, I'm a sucker for the space genre so that weighs in on my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmb
On the off chance you have not found it yet there is a thread http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3206/item/198761#item19876... for tactical combat starhip games.

Full thrust (free online rules - consistently rates high for many years), Starmada (which now has a star trek version), and A call to arms (which just released a star trek version) might be worth looking at for you. And yes, still Federation Commander

Great gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
galathonredd wrote:
I'm not aware of any other space systems outside of Star Trek with the same scope. Feel free to recommend some, though.

I love Battletech. I spent many of my formative years playing Battletech. But it doesn't, let's be honest, have much tactical depth. It's more of a beer-and-pretzels+ game. There's nothing wrong with that, but if it's scope and depth your group is looking for, I'd go with with FC. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.