Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2-sided (red/green) session tonight, one card display, and while the game ended up being a blowout (green had to go Lazarus twice due to Catastrophes and some weak planning), a few things were reinforced with me:

1) Agriculture - frankly I had previously thought that this was one of the weaker Cultures, even with the added rule that a player's Homeland is immune from extinction when being farmed.

However, with a tumultuous and somewhat sparse Earth, green found his Homeland (which doesn't shift since it's an orogeny tile) surrounded by vacant slots. It dawned on me that here was a chance for a comeback, and with Agriculture green was able to quickly re-populate the board (via Farms) to tie red in animals, which was pretty remarkable after having to Lazarus twice.

When a third Catastrophe struck, it seemed like green was OK as his two species were under the threshold limit. But with the Greenhouse level rising to 1600ppm, all those vacant slots flooded and another green species was wiped out! If only the species was an [M] Amphibian, it would have survived. Lesson learned.

2) Birds - red formed a child species of Birds (size 1, [SS] via Flow-Through Lungs and [S] via Digitigrade Hopping mutation cards), who was able to roam the map and prey upon one of green's (size 2) species who had no Roadrunner defense. This was so cool to see in action, until it was realized that all green had to do was resize his species up to 3, and red's bird predators would have to resize up to 2, thus losing their flight ability (and a valuable Husker size 1 back-up card). Now stuck with [SSS] and probably other needed DNA, such animals are in danger of being "comet bait".

Birds are probably better off being Herbivores (Rooters?) rather than predators, unless prey is well-established and has an essential card (or cards) as part of its DNA chain which if discarded due to the size change, would cause it great harm.

And remember, Birds cannot cross the Atlantic rift - there was a potential survivable Biome in the Arctic 1 slot, but red's bird couldn't reach it because the Rift had already formed.

3) Atlantic Rift - before I had viewed this effect on the slots east of the Atlantic being cut-off, but here they were well served. Red had an Archetype species who developed into marine to match sea Biomes in range. Not only could they swim back and forth across the ocean, but red's sea Biomes were protected because the Rift forms a new map edge and certain Biome spaces don't shift/collide because of Greenhouse changes (since the Rift creates a new map edge), and are therefore relatively safe. Nice!

The strategic depth - and fun factor - of this game continues to amaze me.

[edit: size clarification]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
when you say the homeland cannot go extinct, means animals on the homeland cannot die? or what does it mean exactly?

er when prey resize, predators can resize as well yea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric...

duckizz wrote:
when you say the homeland cannot go extinct, means animals on the homeland cannot die? or what does it mean exactly?

The Homeland tile cannot be removed, say via Biome's shifting/colliding because of a Greenhouse effect (the lower climax tile normally goes to the tarpit) or via a Milankovich event (which removes a tile in a latitude), for example.

So the Homeland tile - and the player's animal(s) on it - survive, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have the birds all migrate out to become predators and then have them grow and simply lose their flight. It won't make them go extinct. And remember, if a predator's prey changes size, it gets to change size for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks Eduardo (I edited my OP) - got swept away with the game being a blowout (my first) and went for something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
The Homeland tile cannot be removed, say via Biome's shifting/colliding because of a Greenhouse effect (the lower climax tile normally goes to the tarpit) or via a Milankovich event (which removes a tile in a latitude), for example.

I've seen a Homeland biome lost in a collision with a higher climax Cenozoic biome, and I dimly recall one orogeny Homeland being lost to a card event (Milankovich or erosion, don't remember which).

Basically, once you get to the Cenozoic Era, your Homeland is potentially at risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.