Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
With approximately one in twenty males suffering from Deuteranomaly (affecting red-green hue discrimination), you might not think this is such a big deal. And in fact, as someone who does suffer from this, I find that, in most games, it still isn't a problem.

However, in 1st and Goal, it is very much a problem. In particular, I find it nearly impossible to distinguish between the brown and green football icons on the cards (yet do not have nearly so much a problem with the relevant dice), and even some difficulty between the red, and either the brown or green icons.

Since the designer has already used D to indicate the defensive die on the cards, and P for the Play die, I'd like to recommend that in future versions of the game the other dice also have letters printed on them. Red and Green are no problem, using R and G, but blue and brown start with the same letter, and the type can only be so small, in a practical sense, so I might suggest L and R for blue and brown. Another option would be to go for icons within the football icon, that is matched in the corner of each die sticker, such as hexagons for one color, circles for another, squares for a third, etc.

The funny thing is that, if I look at the two cards shown in the gallery, for this game on BGG, I do not have nearly as much difficulty in distinguishing the colors, as I do with the cards themselves. This may indicate that the gamma level for the printing process is significantly lower, than it is for the digital images of the cards in the gallery.

In any case, I guess I'm going to find myself going through each card of my new game holding a Sharpie, having my wife tell me which is brown, and which is green, so I can mark them. A pain in the butt that can easily be avoided in the future, by the graphics designer and printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Darrell.

I do consider 1 in 20 males not being able to play 1&G without difficulty a big deal. I wish that had occurred to me during the development, but I'm afraid it didn't. Perhaps future editions can alleviate this issue.

Going through each card with a sharpie must be a drag. But I won't deny that it makes me feel pretty good that someone would go through that extra effort to play our game. I hope that means you like it.

Stephen
Who has no red-green issues, but sure wishes they'd start making text on cards a little larger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent suggestion, I think we will look into doing that on the next run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Hi Darrell.

I do consider 1 in 20 males not being able to play 1&G without difficulty a big deal. I wish that had occurred to me during the development, but I'm afraid it didn't. Perhaps future editions can alleviate this issue.

Going through each card with a sharpie must be a drag. But I won't deny that it makes me feel pretty good that someone would go through that extra effort to play our game. I hope that means you like it.

Let's say that I expect to like it, as I only played it solitaire long enough to cry out to my wife for help. I love games that play with numbers, like this, and expect to do some serious crunching of my own, in reaction to the anticipated playing and enjoyment of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

It would be nice, too, if you offer a card-only upgrade, for a reasonable proportion of the full game's price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
rnrgames wrote:

It would be nice, too, if you offer a card-only upgrade, for a reasonable proportion of the full game's price.

Should be easy enough. Just have to print extra for the upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this fix isn't much better than the sharpie option, but perhaps you could make a cheatsheet, maybe in excel or something, that lists each play and the dice for each potential defense. You would use the cards as normal, but reference the cheatsheet to get the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bolin
United States
CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I know this fix isn't much better than the sharpie option, but perhaps you could make a cheatsheet, maybe in excel or something, that lists each play and the dice for each potential defense. You would use the cards as normal, but reference the cheatsheet to get the dice.

Granted I ain't as sharp as a stick, but I still did not follow your statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

Not a bad suggestion, but I'm inclined to keep things simple, where possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much to add to this thread except that I wanted to say that I find it cool that both the publisher and designer are listening to the customer base.

Have only played one game of 1st and Goal so far, but really enjoyed it. Hoping to get my 15 year old son interested...

Al
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Leadfoot5 wrote:
Not much to add to this thread except that I wanted to say that I find it cool that both the publisher and designer are listening to the customer base.

They're both pretty swell guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leadfoot5 wrote:

Totally agree on this point. I love it when the designer(s)/publisher(s)/play testers field rule questions, talk about variants, or give insight as to why they designed the game one way or another. It shows a love for the hobby and enthusiasm for their game. It also makes me follow future products associated with them more closely and certainly weighs on my decision to purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to listen - it really does mean a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
rhpenland wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:

Totally agree on this point. I love it when the designer(s)/publisher(s)/play testers field rule questions, talk about variants, or give insight as to why they designed the game one way or another. It shows a love for the hobby and enthusiasm for their game. It also makes me follow future products associated with them more closely and certainly weighs on my decision to purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to listen - it really does mean a lot.

+ thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.