Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi to all...

The other day played with the Banners of War expansion and I applied almost all the rules to the game. Among those was the Commander of the Battlefield variant.

But in an Autumn we draw the Season card from the expansion, Kalladra´s Trove, which states:

"Each hero matching its owner´s alignment immediately receives a single Reward card".

In the Banners of War rulebook it is said that "Commanders can receive and use Reward cards like any other hero."

So, according to that, the Commander receive a Reward card too if Kalladra´s Trove is drawn. Isn´t too unbalanced? (you have, minimum, two heroes from the start of the game) Above all, if a player draws Timorran Shards (it was my case, and I drew two!).

How do you see this? Too unbalanced? Am I playing it right? Should the heroes the only ones who can draw rewards cards and not the Commanders?

I think it is unbalanced since I winned the game thanks to that two dragon runes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kalladra´s Trove + Commander Cards rule: Umbalanced?
Commanders should also draw a reward, as they are still heroes.
decanox wrote:
I think it is umbalanced since I winned the game thanks to that two dragon runes.

This struck me as strange, as there are near-unlimited possibilities for a player to win by drawing a specific card or token: finding a dragon-rune exploration token, drawing a tactic that burns your opponents rune-city (with the Free Cities variant), getting lucky with your combat-draws, etc.

I do not find this any more unbalanced than almost everything else that is going on in this fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
Commanders should also draw a reward, as they are still heroes.
decanox wrote:
I think it is umbalanced since I winned the game thanks to that two dragon runes.

This struck me as strange, as there are near-unlimited possibilities for a player to win by drawing a specific card or token: finding a dragon-rune exploration token, drawing a tactic that burns your opponents rune-city (with the Free Cities variant), getting lucky with your combat-draws, etc.

I do not find this any more unbalanced than almost everything else that is going on in this fantastic game.

I know that this game is fantastic and I know that you can win more runes through other means. I know that.

But the problem is when you start with, at least, two heroes (the common hero and the commander) and the Season card Kalladra´s Trove is drawn. Every hero wins a Reward card directly, so if you have a commander you will draw 2 Reward cards (and you can have more heroes if you play the Order card 6, Rally Support).

If you are lucky you could draw a "Timorran Shard" (and I remeber that I drew two). I had 4 runes and I was far from the winner, we were playing with the Free Cities variant, so with these Timorran shards and one more rune I winned... I have said this example I played in my last game, but it could be unbalanced too with the Title card referring to Heroes (the one which changes 3 Rewards for 1 dragon rune).

Anyway, my post was not an opinion only, it is a question: If you play with the commanders of the battlefied, would you give the free Reward cards from Kalladra´s Trove to the common heroes only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
decanox wrote:
Anyway, my post was not an opinion only, it is a question: If you play with the commanders of the battlefied, would you give the free Reward cards from Kalladra´s Trove to the common heroes only?

As I answered, they are still heroes and as such should receive rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the reason its not 'imbalanced'(unbalanced?) is that everyone has 2 heroes, so everyone would get 2 rewards, so everyone would have the possibility of getting 2 shards. since it affects everyone equally, then it is not imbalanced.

could it make for an unsatisfactory game? sure. and house-ruling that commanders don't get the reward would be a valid thought. but no, not imbalanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Góngora
Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
the reason its not 'imbalanced'(unbalanced?) is that everyone has 2 heroes, so everyone would get 2 rewards, so everyone would have the possibility of getting 2 shards. since it affects everyone equally, then it is not imbalanced.

could it make for an unsatisfactory game? sure. and house-ruling that commanders don't get the reward would be a valid thought. but no, not imbalanced.

Sorry... I was writing fast, I wanted to say unbalanced...

I would change that rule to benefit common heroes only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that it's not balanced; that implies that it gives one player an advantage over another, and since every player has the same number of starting heroes, every player has equal opportunity to have this happen. Whether players LIKE this is another story.

I don't really see this as being any more of a problem than a player getting some "easy" quests near their home and happening to get a few Timmoran Shards in the process - sometimes luck just favors a player in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.