Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read over the rules a few time, but there are still a few things that I'm wondering.

1. Is the game 12 turns long? The rulebook mentions that the game lasts two weeks, with each turn being a day. That seems like it would be 14 turns. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

2. One of Floyd's directives says (if I remember right) that he can't play evidence on Thomas Haas. What is Thomas Haas isn't one of the suspects, due to having only 3 or 4 players? Seems like Floyd gets a lucky break if that happens.

3. With only 3 or 4 players, are there recommended characters that the players should play? Could that affect play? For example, if I'm playing Floyd in a 4 player game and Rachael is not being played, is it likely that the other players will be keeping leads on Earth since traveling up the Beanstalk takes so long (while I want to stay closer to Hass-Bioroid on the Moon).

4. Along the same lines, does seating order affect play? For example, if I'm playing Floyd in and the player to my right is Rachael, could it be more likely that she'll move leads closer to the Moon and Beanstalk since she starts near there?
Or am I just imagining that it is a problem?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I've seen the Director's Cut variants as well and would like to implement some of them IF there are game balance issues that need to be addressed. I typically don't like to add the confusion of errata and extra rules if not necessary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions before we play
Driver 8 wrote:
1. Is the game 12 turns long? The rulebook mentions that the game lasts two weeks, with each turn being a day. That seems like it would be 14 turns. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

It's 12 turns. In game terms, a "week" is 6 days (the time it takes for a plot to fully resolve). Perhaps unsurprisingly, they never made this explicit in the rulebook.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: A few questions before we play
Driver 8 wrote:
2. One of Floyd's directives says (if I remember right) that he can't play evidence on Thomas Haas. What is Thomas Haas isn't one of the suspects, due to having only 3 or 4 players? Seems like Floyd gets a lucky break if that happens.


Yep, in that case Floyd misses the drawback. But he still has to choose which way he wants to resolve his plot, and take the associated benefits and drawbacks of keeping or losing that ability. (I don't remember which one is associated with Thomas Haas though.)

Quote:
Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I've seen the Director's Cut variants as well and would like to implement some of them IF there are game balance issues that need to be addressed. I typically don't like to add the confusion of errata and extra rules if not necessary.


Don't add the "Director's Cut" (and wow, I really dislike that name) until you've had a chance to play the base game. It doesn't fix the game by any means; it just implements a suite of house rules to make some of the aspects more flavorful.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions before we play
Driver 8 wrote:
3. With only 3 or 4 players, are there recommended characters that the players should play? Could that affect play? For example, if I'm playing Floyd in a 4 player game and Rachael is not being played, is it likely that the other players will be keeping leads on Earth since traveling up the Beanstalk takes so long (while I want to stay closer to Hass-Bioroid on the Moon).


The exact combination of characters shouldn't make a difference. My advice: if it's your first time, don't play with Raymond; he's really powerful, but he's also a lot harder and more volatile than the rest. Caprice can be a little difficult too.

Driver 8 wrote:
4. Along the same lines, does seating order affect play? For example, if I'm playing Floyd in and the player to my right is Rachael, could it be more likely that she'll move leads closer to the Moon and Beanstalk since she starts near there?
Or am I just imagining that it is a problem?


Each player will indeed tend to move leads as close to themselves as the placement rules permit, but it tends to balance out overall. If you've got Floyd, Rachel and Louis, Floyd may be moving Louis's leads to the moon, and Rachel may be keeping Floyd's there, but Louis will be moving Rachel's back to Earth. As long as everyone's following up roughly the same number of leads, you're fine (and even if Louis does somehow out-investigate Rachel so thoroughly as to deplete his side of the board, there's nothing to keep him from flying up to the moon)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions before we play
Thanks for all your help!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions before we play
Driver 8 wrote:
1. Is the game 12 turns long? The rulebook mentions that the game lasts two weeks, with each turn being a day. That seems like it would be 14 turns. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.


Well, I just assumed they took a day off once a week.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few questions before we play
Driver 8 wrote:
1. Is the game 12 turns long? The rulebook mentions that the game lasts two weeks, with each turn being a day. That seems like it would be 14 turns. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Naturally, the Crime occurs on a Monday (crappiest day of the week) and is solved on the second Friday after that, just in time for the weekend.
That is two weeks right? whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.