Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is not a lot of love for Ann - but she does a pretty darn good job tearing about Newt's campaigns.

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2012-01-25.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I hate ad hominem arguments, Coulter's dislike for Newt is one of the few things that would make me root for him.

Edit to add: OK, I read the article and it didn't disappoint. Coulter is amazing -- either willfully dishonest or indefensibly ignorant, given that she is a professional pundit about politics.

Coulter wrote:
Romney's one great flip-flop is on abortion.

This is absurd. Romney has changed position on:

1. Whether any illegal aliens should have a special path to citizenship,
2. Bush's tax cuts,
3. Ronald Reagan,
4. NRA and whether he even owns a gun,
5. Global warming,
6. Whether gay and lesbian soldiers should be able to serve openly,
7. Embryonic stem-cell research,
8. Campaign spending limits,
9. And, of course, abortion...which he has held multiple "unwavering" principled positions on.

The notion that Romney has been unfairly painted as a flip-flopper is absurd. But wait, this is Coulter so there's bound to be more!

Quote:
Nonetheless, Kennedy ran a campaign commercial against him featuring a Mormon woman complaining that Romney, as a Mormon elder, had pressured her not to have an abortion, but to give the child up for adoption. Are you getting the idea that Massachusetts is different from the rest of America, readers?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Anne is way off here. There are two particular stories that Romney has drawn flack for. One was about a woman who wanted to keep her baby. She was poor and a single Mom, and Romney had, in his capacity as Bishop, had helped her get some odd jobs. Romney came to her and encouraged her to give her baby up for adoption. When she said she intended to keep the baby she alleges that Romney told her that the church wanted her to give it up for adoption and that if she didn't she could be excommunicated.

The other was about a woman who did intend to have an abortion on the advice of her doctor who said that the pregnancy was too dangerous for her. Other elders in the church had consulted and agreed and then Romney allegedly told her she shouldn't. Even if this is the case in the ad (I can't find it, so I don't know), leaving out the medical advice is a clear distortion.

Quote:
Romney changes his mind on abortion -- not when it was politically advantageous, but when it mattered.

Actually, the whole point of the criticism of Romney is that he changed it precisely when it was politically advantageous. He was pro-choice until he began looking at running for President and then he became pro-life.

Quote:
Romney supported the idea of other states doing something along the lines of his health care bill, but always opposed insurance mandates from the federal government (just as I oppose the federal government issuing general laws about rape, but support state laws against rape.)

For those of you who still think Romneycare is the worst possible sin a Republican candidate could commit -- even worse than taking money from Freddie Mac as it destroyed the economy -- that doesn't help Gingrich: He supported Romneycare.

(While we're on the subject, the nation's leading conservative think tank, The Heritage Foundation, helped draft Romneycare. Indeed, Bob Moffit, Heritage's senior fellow on health care issues, can be seen in the picture of the bill-signing ceremony, standing proudly behind Romney.)

But Gingrich did more than support Romneycare. As former senator Rick Santorum has pointed out, Gingrich supported a FEDERAL individual mandate to purchase health insurance from 1993 until five minutes ago -- i.e., at least until a "Meet the Press" appearance just last May.

More obfuscation. The simple fact is that the Heritage Foundation itself supported a federal insurance mandate in the late 80s, although now it calls such a thing an abomination and denies what can be read by anyone who wants to look. Romney clearly stated that he saw Romneycare as a national model, and it was only when this proved an electoral disaster that he retroactively thought it was a bad idea for the federal government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say that I am surprised by her Romney love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ann Coulter: In it for the money? Or performance artist extraordinaire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
The Real Reasons for her dislike, I suspect, is that the Republicans hoping to win the Presidency know that Newt is going to piss of and scare so many people, it will definitely prevent a win.

Mitt is there best hope.

Newt is too radical, too hypocritical and too mean and nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
WallyNate wrote:
Ann Coulter: In it for the money? Or performance artist extraordinaire?

both, just like Newt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Even Ann Couture is not a Newt Fan

Related to Randy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Wait, Ann Coulter worships the "no fed law mandates" enough to say that rape shouldn't be federally mandated as law?

I think that's the most idiotic stance I've ever heard, but at least she's consistent, I guess.

Consistent with the idea that the Federal government shouldn't get involved in distinction between who are 'people' and can 'vote', like women or racial minorities...just leaving that up to the individual states to decide.

Except, wait, I'm guessing she doesn't have a problem with the Federal government intervening, there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.