Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello. I'm really pretty new to boardgames, but one I recently picked up and enjoyed was the dice based game Airships. I know there are a lot of games with dice mechanics, but I enjoyed the fact that Airships is pretty light, yet offers some interesting decisions. I've seen it listed as being similar to games like To Court The King and Alea Iacta Est which look interesting as well.

Besides those, are there any other games like this that would be fairly similar but not too heavy?

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftschiff (Airships at War)

Sorry--just kidding. Similar theme, but a completely different kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ashton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really like Airships as well, for the same reasons you do. The majority of our games are light to mid-weight games that play in around 1 hour.

For a dice game that's about the same length, I'd recommend Dice Town.

For a light but intersting/interactive boardgame, I'd suggest The Downfall of Pompeii.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Alexx9811 wrote:
Hello. I'm really pretty new to boardgames, but one I recently picked up and enjoyed was the dice based game Airships. I know there are a lot of games with dice mechanics, but I enjoyed the fact that Airships is pretty light, yet offers some interesting decisions. I've seen it listed as being similar to games like To Court The King and Alea Iacta Est which look interesting as well.

Besides those, are there any other games like this that would be fairly similar but not too heavy?

Thanks for your help!

Try Alien Frontiers, it's a hoot, with lots of meaty decisions.

It does vary from AS in one significant matter - you roll the dice, THEN decide what you'd like to do, rather than deciding in advance, thereby risking a wasted action. AS has a rather nice "push your luck" element, that AF lacks. AF uses dice, but has its own distinct flavor.

Hope this helps.

Joseph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen Alien Frontiers come up in other discussions as well. I'll give it a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good dice game:

Alea Iacta Est
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For two players, Roma or Arena: Roma II are fun, quick, and lightly strategic with dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These all look great. I have previously looked for Roma and Roma II, but every store I looked at seemed to be out of stock. Is this one out of print? That would be a shame, as it looks really great.

I think Alea Iacta Est is a sure thing for me, and will likely be one of the next games I buy.

Thanks again for all the input, everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
Try Alien Frontiers, it's a hoot, with lots of meaty decisions.

I haven't played Airships, but AF is quite a bit heavier (BGG voted weight of 2.5 vs. 1.9)

AF is also a fairly high-conflict game. Cutthroat. Dice games like Yspahan have moderate interaction, while lighter (but not featherweight) dice games like Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and Ra: The Dice Game (which are both great, btw) have relatively little interaction. Personally I prefer indirect/subtle interaction, but that's just a matter of taste.

My impression is that Airships has more indirect interaction, which case you might also prefer games along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.