ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
I have heard that there is a new reprint coming any idea when it will be in stock at stores? Also, I have been playing Memoir '44 online and enjoy it. Any advice on which CC game I should start with? memoir seemslikeithastomany expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint is shipping already, so it should be in stock very soon. Or you can get it directly from GMT Games.

As for your other question, I suggest looking at this recent thread: Looking to get into CC. Where to start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the new reprint for Xmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any observations on the compnent quality between the current and last reprint?

I'm curious about the cardstock used on the order deck - thin or thick?. I may pick this game up at some point, and would like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancients is an excellent game and its mechanics fit the theme very well IMO, but I have said many times before on BGG that I think Napoleonics is superior and the ultimate Borg creation. Napoleonic warfare is perfectly suited to the Left, Right, Center sections treatment. As to expansions both the base games are great as stand alones. The expansions just add chrome you may become interested in if you really enjoy the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Finlay
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You will need the basic game and then the next logical extension would be no 1 Alexander and the Macedonians. Unfortunately this is no longer available neither are 2 or 3. Although 2 and 3 are in the P500 queue. So if you want expansions you are limited to 4 and 6. As the base game gives you a roman army you might be better with 6 next. You will have to do quite a bit of substitution essentially as far as I can tell Carthaginians can be substituted for East Kingdom units however I don't know if these will be adequate. Certainly as far as I can tell until the new combined expansion 2 and 3 are available there are just not enough warrior units for most barbarian battles.

Information is available on this site and the GMT forum

Also there is always the Vassal extensions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem I can think of about subbing Carthaginians for Persians is that you'll lack the horse archers that the latter use a lot. There are probably other issues as well. Of course, you can improvise - using other pieces instead. Let's hope GMT are able to viably reprint expansions 2 and 3, plus 1 for the newer players. The game certainly deserves to be played by... well, everyone on the planet, basically, so let's hope that happens.*

The alternative is ebay or buying on the Geek. This appears to be easier for US-based seekers, as C&C products come up quite often on the Geek, but usually shipping to the USA only.

*In fact, I contend that all world problems would be sorted out if everyone just played Commands and Colors: Ancients all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff miller wrote:
Ancients is an excellent game and its mechanics fit the theme very well IMO, but I have said many times before on BGG that I think Napoleonics is superior and the ultimate Borg creation. Napoleonic warfare is perfectly suited to the Left, Right, Center sections treatment.

L-C-R is also a perfect fit for Ancients. Although it's the general assumption that latest is greatest, that's not the case here. I think this has been batted around quite a bit (every few threads ATM) and the clear answer seems to be that neither is superior to the other, they're just different (which is great). Interest in period for you and your opponents should be a major factor in your decision making.....if that's not an issue, I can highly recommend trying both and seeing which one clicks for you.

Brent.

Eidt....just discussing Ancients and Napoleonics here, sorry. I can't comment on Memoir or any of the other C&C titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff miller wrote:
I have said many times before on BGG that I think Napoleonics is superior and the ultimate Borg creation.

I don't like the shooting, how Napoleonics rewards cautiousness instead of boldness like Ancients, how leaders aren't really important any more, and how your units lose effectiveness when they lose strength - all historically correct of course, but I just prefer heroic leaders to cannons and muskets, and units that fight until they're broken with unwavering strength to those who can't hit anything any more once a few of them are dead or running.

I didn't want to pick sides in this thread, but claiming that one game is superior to the other in an objective way is just wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides theme, and the way the battles fight (like haslo I prefer the way Ancient fighting has been implemented), you should consider complexity. From each C&C to the next there is not a huge step in complexity, but it clearly goes up from BC to M44 to CCA to CCN.

For me, the first two are too simple, and CCN becomes a bit too much for my taste (just have a look at the charts). I am really happy that the game that hits the right spot on my complexity scale is the one that covers the theme I like the most too! Ideally, try to play them before you choose, on VASSAL or with friends that own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:

Eidt....just discussing Ancients and Napoleonics here, sorry. I can't comment on Memoir or any of the other C&C titles.

You might as well be commenting on the lot - rings true across the C&C games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
happyloaf wrote:
I have heard that there is a new reprint coming any idea when it will be in stock at stores? Also, I have been playing Memoir '44 online and enjoy it. Any advice on which CC game I should start with? memoir seemslikeithastomany expansions.

Both Memoir 44 and CC:A have several expansions, so if the avasilability of expansions bothers you (?) then you will not like CC:A either.

Why do expansions for M44 bother you? You don't have to buy them. Buy the game you think you will like the most. Read the many many reviews people have taken the time to write.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.