Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just got the Face2Face English/French edition and I have doubts on how many tiles each players uses. Someone in this thread said that there was a mistake in the English rules that say that each player has 52, because the French rules say they have 64.

But reading ahead the French rules they say that each player uses only 52... and on the back of the box it is written 52 very clear! I guess the original version was German, does anybody know how many tiles are written in the German rules? There are 68 tiles per player, so 64 plus 4 spares seems logical, but I cannot believe that such a big mistake made it to the box and most of the rules.

My guess is that the game was thought to be played with different variants, since having more or less tiles in each color must dictate the strategy (I cannot see how yet, have not played!), and that the publisher decided to omit them. Similarly, there are 8 empty tiles, does anyone know what are they for? I guess that they could be used in a variant, but no word at all in the rules nor here...

So if anyone knows more about this game, or about the playtest process, I would like to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't see how it makes any difference how many tiles you have. I doubt they were ever intended to be a hard limit. If you run out, find substitutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I can't see how it makes any difference how many tiles you have. I doubt they were ever intended to be a hard limit. If you run out, find substitutes.
As I remember, the rules explicitly say that when you run out of a type of tile, you can't play it any more.

But that happens very rarely (once in the half dozen games I've played) and I don't think that the exact number will affect the game much. Just make sure everybody has the same number of tiles, that it's at least 50 or each, and it will be all right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Try my latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played yet, but I do see how it may play different:

1) With the lower number, 13 per player per color, you cannot add a lot of tiles to a given region if you are competing for first place, specially if several of these regions have already been formed and you have a presence in most of them. With 16, you can add all over without paying too much attention.

2) When you end up one color, the face of that color becomes a joker, so ending that color may give you more choice for the endgame, and this should be easier with 13 than with 16.

And I'm most intrigued by the empty tiles, they could be useful to make a region bigger even if you are not adding followers, but it is weird that they are not mentioned at all, in the game or here. They were maybe introduced to be used when you decide to ignore the result of the dice, but then the rules were simplified and someone forgot to remove them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
1) With the lower number, 13 per player per color, you cannot add a lot of tiles to a given region if you are competing for first place, specially if several of these regions have already been formed and you have a presence in most of them. With 16, you can add all over without paying too much attention.

Sure, but that doesn't seem an interesting restriction at all.

It's kind of arbitrary which colors get built in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another reason is that I'm curious to know how Reiner Knizia thought/decided this game should be played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I will ask Reiner directly next time we are playtesting (which will not be for a few weeks due to Nuremberg Game Fair).

As mentioned it shouldn't matter too much but it can indeed change your strategy playing with 13x4 instead of 17x4 tiles.

BTW, my Face2Face English/French copy comes with 17 tiles in 4 terrain for each player, not 16x4 or 13x4.

I don't think the 8 blank tiles are meant to be used for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.