BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Feel the Love

Subject: What does your Significant Other think of your gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You're the bomb and you got a dope soul and hella ethics.
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mb
I love that my wife is into gaming and that got me into thinking about this topic...

Poll: What does your Significant Other think of your gaming?
What does your significant other think of your gaming?
My games are my significant other.
They don't know about it.
They don't care about it.
They play, but they think I spend to much money.
They love it.
They are into it more than me / They got me into gaming.
      198 answers
Poll created by Heisenberg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I play my games with the kids, which my wife appreciates as it gives her a little bit of peace and quite

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
I swear on my pretty floral bonnet...
mbmbmbmbmb
We play as a family a lot, and my sweetie and I also play just the two of us a lot. We're a non-discriminating family of gamers, too, playing just about every type of game in almost every genre from board games to video games to role-playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Whittome
United Kingdom
Tottenham
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife isn't quite as much of a games freak as me, but she's not too far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
For some reason I am currently single.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a gamer... She doesn't play that much, but she ok with me doing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mb
Gnome01 wrote:
I play my games with the kids

I should get some of those...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jfro wrote:

This will be the new 7 Wonders expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Heisenberg wrote:
jfro wrote:

The Jfro's single wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jfro wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
jfro wrote:

The Jfro's single wonder?

You only get it for one age, and if you don't complete it you lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife hates and I mean hates games. I am glad I found a group in my area that plays or I would never get the chance. Of course if I didn't have my group I would be a lot richer today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
My wife hates and I mean hates games. I am glad I found a group in my area that plays or I would never get the chance. Of course if I didn't have my group I would be a lot richer today!

*thumb down* That is just terrible. She is missing a great opportunity for a lot of fun, quality time with you. I wish most women, and some men, would have an open mind about more things and, if that is not the problem, keep trying until they find a game that they enjoy. Look at how many games are out there, after all! Surely everybody can find at least one or two games that they enjoy enough to play sometimes.

I'm glad you found a gaming group, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
prrt949 wrote:

*thumb down* That is just terrible. She is missing a great opportunity for a lot of fun, quality time with you. I wish most women, and some men, would have an open mind about more things and, if that is not the problem, keep trying until they find a game that they enjoy. Look at how many games are out there, after all! Surely everybody can find at least one or two games that they enjoy enough to play sometimes.

On the other hand, I think it's good to have some separate interests. Couples don't have to do EVERYTHING together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
prrt949 wrote:

I'm glad you found a gaming group, though!

Yup, all it takes is the right game. My mom complained about my video gaming when I was younger. Around 5 years ago she discovered Animal Crossing... which lead to other games including Knights of the Old Republic and World of Warcraft. She called me one day and apologized about always getting onto me about it cause she finally understood why I did it.

My Wife only played video games when I met her. I tried getting her into board games and RPGs but she wouldn't budge. It took Pathfinder to get her into RPGs and Arkham Horror to get her into board games.

Sometimes, you have to work it out where they think it's their idea.
Or maybe figure out a game they loved when they were young, and introduce them to something a lot like it. Sometimes that works too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:

Yikes! You even have a lot of awesome, approachable games in your collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, my wife isn't exactly an enthusiast of the "collecting" aspect, but she's down for playing almost anything, so that's super cool of her. I think she's played just about every game we own with me at some point, as well as tons of others with friends. So I guess I'm pretty well off! And she can be a tough opponent in 2 player games too... Race For the Galaxy, Hive, Dominion, Stone Age, Thurn & Taxis, Carcassonne, Pandemic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hubby is an avid gamer, but I'm more into boardgames and he more into videogames. He always plays eagerly though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
She thinks I have enough games and that they take up too much space. Space is the issue, not money. She will play with me occasionally, but it's not an interest of hers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
She thinks I have enough games and that they take up too much space. Space is the issue, not money. She will play with me occasionally, but it's not an interest of hers.

Priorities! Toss out the kids and build more shelves!

Woops! Did I just say that? *adjusts halo*

Just kidding, I promise.

----

While it is okay to have different hobbies, and while a couple doesn't have to play every game together, gaming is one of the best ways to spend actual quality time together with real interaction and communication. It's great for a relationship and fun to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mb
VikingPrincess wrote:
While it is okay to have different hobbies, and while a couple doesn't have to play every game together, gaming is one of the best ways to spend actual quality time together with real interaction and communication. It's great for a relationship and fun to boot.

Agreed.

Also I am sure that that the fact we have both become graceful losers helps our relationship somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only found about 3-4 games that my wife will play. Can't wait for my boys to grow up to play some of my fine Ameritrash and wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:

You don't have to sell me, tell this to her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:

*giggles* Have her call me! Or quote me on this: Women are always begging, or even nagging, their men to spend more time with them. But they almost always expect the man to do something that she likes to do, not the other way around. The best way to get what you want is by setting the example, plus it is never fair to ask somebody else to do something we're not willing to do ourselves. If I want you to wash the dishes for me, I have to be willing to wash the dishes for you. It's a complete give and take. It is always 'your' move, whoever you is that I'm talking to at the time. If you want your husband to spend more time with you clothes shopping (yuck - please don't torture your man this way, this is only a sad example), then you have to be willing to try some of his hobbies with him. If you don't like one, fine. Say it's not your cup of tea, and try again in a couple of weeks with another game. Lather, rinse, repeat. If nothing else, you'll be showing your man love and an interest in him and his likes, and how is that ever a bad thing? And if you get lucky and find a new hobby? Something fun that you can share with him? Something to bond over? Something to shop for together? Well then, that's just about as perfect as can be. Something you both enjoy so that you'll rarely have to be the one to ask him to spend time with you again. An added benefit: a happy, loved, appreciated man is more likely to run into Macy's with you and not only be a little more animated when helping you pick out which Coach bag you want but will also not have so much of a cow when you tell him how much it'll cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
frumpish wrote:
VikingPrincess wrote:

*giggles* Have her call me! Or quote me on this: Women are always begging, or even nagging, their men to spend more time with them. But they almost always expect the man to do something that she likes to do, not the other way around. The best way to get what you want is by setting the example, plus it is never fair to ask somebody else to do something we're not willing to do ourselves. If I want you to wash the dishes for me, I have to be willing to wash the dishes for you. It's a complete give and take. It is always 'your' move, whoever you is that I'm talking to at the time. If you want your husband to spend more time with you clothes shopping (yuck - please don't torture your man this way, this is only a sad example), then you have to be willing to try some of his hobbies with him. If you don't like one, fine. Say it's not your cup of tea, and try again in a couple of weeks with another game. Lather, rinse, repeat. If nothing else, you'll be showing your man love and an interest in him and his likes, and how is that ever a bad thing? And if you get lucky and find a new hobby? Something fun that you can share with him? Something to bond over? Something to shop for together? Well then, that's just about as perfect as can be. Something you both enjoy so that you'll rarely have to be the one to ask him to spend time with you again. An added benefit: a happy, loved, appreciated man is more likely to run into Macy's with you and not only be a little more animated when helping you pick out which Coach bag you want but will also not have so much of a cow when you tell him how much it'll cost!

You sold me Kristin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The stat I like best is that no one is gaming in secret. There is no guilt associated. The $$ aspect may be a separate issue, but the activity itself is a happy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.