Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time I could not see the appeal of operational games until I read about the Iraqi/Irani war. All the missed opportunities, all the poor planning, just seems like it would be fun to game and see what would happen differently. If Iran were able to co-ordinate it's earlier offensives would it have been able to break through? If Iraq had invaded differently would it have been over before it began? All these questions intrigue me and I would love to seem them played.

So I ask, is there a game that does a respectable treatment of that war? Also, I'm not sure if I'm looking for strategic or operational. Part of the history that intrigued me was that Iraq was able to hold back Iran because Iran attack near the Iraqi bases which kept the frontline supplied which sounds operational to me, but dealing with a whole invasion seems strategic; the distinction to me is fuzzy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignorant Armies: Iran-Iraq War. Good game by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Ignorant Armies. Fun game, very fluid especially as there are no ZOC rules! So you really have to watch how you deploy your forces: it is really easy to get flanked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a scenario in Gulf Strike for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

The war was less then halfway through when that was released...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Great post, never thought much abt this in terms of gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
I second Ignorant Armies. Fun game, very fluid especially as there are no ZOC rules! So you really have to watch how you deploy your forces: it is really easy to get flanked!

Typical Bomba's treatment of warfare - one that I dislike. Such a ZOC free-for-all approach makes no difference to what subject you are really working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
rshipley wrote:

The war was less then halfway through when that was released...

There are several editions with updates to the scenarios. It tried to cover recent and possible operations in the area. Turns represent only 2 days IIRC, so I doubt it covers the whole war (that would be a lot of turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own ignorant armies but have not played it. Otherwise, I think the world is waiting for S&T's new Modern Warfare magazine to pick up the slack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.