Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.savethenews.org/blog/12/01/25/after-journalist-ar...

Quote:
Journalist Kristyna Wentz-Graff, whose press badge is visible, was arrested while covering an Occupy protest in November.

Quote:
After months of journalist arrests and press suppression at Occupy Wall Street-inspired protests, the United States has dropped significantly in the rankings.

According to this report, the U.S. has dropped 27 places to 47th in the world.

Work is up to 72 hours a week now. And still going to blow chunks because not enough staff. They start arriving in another 2 to 3 weeks. Way too late.

It's shocking to me how fast things are going bad.
Rampant corruption by our leaders.
Suppression of the press.
Suppression of free assembly.
Giving trillions to the banks.
Spending trillions fighting wars all over the globe.
Loss of 70 years of labor protections.
Massive and continuous propaganda on the radio and television.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Add to the list COINTELPRO by the FBI and local law enforcement.
Private security firms hired by Homeland Security to spy on OWS and a number of environment groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still refuse to vote 3rd party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, yes—there have been dozens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O hai guys I have news for you. This is how Western democracies work. This is how they have been working all along. The only difference is that, in this case, the public has been more aware of the Occupy movement, but every political group that does not conform to the establishment lines is met with this sort of treatment. Now forget about this, turn your TV on and enjoy your daily dose of freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So...the article lacks any information whatsoever about the circumstances surrounding the arrest. Certainly the matter deserves to have some light shone on it, but I can think of plenty of circumstances under which arresting someone with a press pass could be either an outrage or completely justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

it's the system that needs to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
muntmeister wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Guess what won't happen if people continue to vote for "the lesser of two evils."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
muntmeister wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Guess what won't happen if people continue to vote for "the lesser of two evils."

the republican party used to be the third party. That hasn't turned out
so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
O hai guys I have news for you. This is how Western democracies work. This is how they have been working all along. The only difference is that, in this case, the public has been more aware of the Occupy movement, but every political group that does not conform to the establishment lines is met with this sort of treatment. Now forget about this, turn your TV on and enjoy your daily dose of freedom.

Hang on a sec, I have to get my popcorn out of the microwave so I can munch happily whilst I admire your willingness to blather on an internet board game hobby site instead of watching TV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisterCranky wrote:
Hang on a sec, I have to get my popcorn out of the microwave so I can munch happily whilst I admire your willingness to blather on an internet board game hobby site instead of watching TV!

TV is not the problem, but the symptom. I know you always value form over substance, so I don't hold it against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
PinkPiggy wrote:

Marilyn Manson, "The Beautiful People" Very apt song for the end of Western Civilization.

Ahem. There is a substantial block of countries known collectively as 'Europe' who might take issue with your definition of 'Western Civilization'.

Oh, also, I query the use of the term 'Civilization' with connection to the country that produced Gilligans Island and Lost gulp

We have shows about more than people trapped on islands, I swear! We have reality TV with shows like "Survivor" and... wait... okay, that was a bad example, but we also have edutainment shows like "Man vs. Wild" (which I admit also has episodes concerning the same)...

Well forget TV. What about movies? There's Castaway... wait...

Okay, I am out of ideas. Just go read a book. I recommend Robinson Cru... DAMMIT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I'm glad to say that Austin has finally evicted our loiterers from city hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MWChapel wrote:
I'm glad to say that Austin has finally evicted our loiterers from city hall.

You have no Mayor now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.