Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how long should a resume be? Is 2 pages too long? Someone told me that I need to take my resume and make it a single page, but I have no idea how to do so and leave in vital information.

What say you Chit Chat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I always make mine 1 page. Keywords, they are often not read, at least at my employer that is 10,000+ employees - scanned and filed first, those that match certain desired criteria of key phrases are pulled out. It is all about the interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Echo2112 wrote:
So, how long should a resume be? Is 2 pages too long? Someone told me that I need to take my resume and make it a single page, but I have no idea how to do so and leave in vital information.

What say you Chit Chat?
If you have a ton of experience, then 2 is worthwhile to showcase that. If not, I would stick to ye olde 1-pager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is four pages: one page academic, two pages work experience, one page licences and qualifications.

I'm pushing 50 though, and obviously the older you are, the longer your CV. Twenty years ago my resume was two pages. I don't think I'd recommend a one-page resume; I think it may look a bit flimsy to a prospective employer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
In today's electronic world, the one page resume is a goner.

However, you want you resume to be impactful, so brevity, in this regard, is key. Make sure that the first things your prospective employer reads will be the thing they want to hear.

Make it personal: "I wish to pursue a career in waitstaffery for indignant patrons of high end restaurantery. Will work for tips and insultery."

That sort of stuff.

It's ok to write several different resumes depending on the job requirements. If you're open to pursue different lines of work, customize your resume to focus on those skills that fit the job requirements.

Again, make sure that the skills that the job requires are presented prominently at the start of the resume. The object of a resume is to get an interview and the interview is where the decisions are made.

If you read a job description that says: Ability to fill water glasses, can recommend the most expensive wines when asked for recommendations, offers snooty service to bad tippers. Ensure that you highlight, or even echo back those qualities that you possess in your resume.

One page is not a requirement. Make your resume something that speaks to the job you apply for and is immediately distinct from the other candidates. Don't lie, but be diplomatically qualified.

and can I please have fresh glass of water.

With two lemons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Echo2112 wrote:

What say you Chit Chat?
If you have a ton of experience, then 2 is worthwhile to showcase that. If not, I would stick to ye olde 1-pager.

I agree, if you have lots of pertinent experience then 2 pages shouldn't detract from your application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've said it before in this forum, and I'll say it again: it all depends on your field and the type of job you're applying for. If there was a professor/whatever you trusted in nursing school, ask him or her and ask to look at an example or two.

Mine's four pages long. As I gain more experience, it may get as long as six pages. A one-page resume would go directly into the trash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Someone told me that I need to take my resume and make it a single page, but I have no idea how to do so and leave in vital information.

Your Resume Stinks - guidance for a one page resume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two pages is really the limit. Like others have said, if you have a lot of relevant stuff to say, make it two pages, but one is best.

The exception is academia. In academia, it's not called a resume, it's called a "curriculum vitae", and you can make it as long as you damn well please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is 2 - 3 depending on the focus.

I think that it depends on if you are working in a profession or not.

Professional CVs tend to have more detail because the target audience is more well versed in the area being discussed.

Unskilled CVs tend to be more about length of service and responsibility, which is generally more concise.

That said, I would not dismiss either style if the first for sections were interesting. Content is far more important than sticking to the rules.

Pick some nice paper to print it on though, maybe pink, with a good perfume (Elle Woods gives a good example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One page is fine, as long as you only use a 4 point font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 pages is fine in this day and age, since most places want you to submit it electronically anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well poop. The school went through a whole thing on getting our resumes set up, and they pretty much said that two pages is the norm for a nursing resume, but to keep at two, and no more.

But I was told by someone the other night that she felt my resume was too "wordy" and that I could get it down to one page. Not sure how, since my education and certifications take up a good block of that first page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it whichever way you think is right, when I left my last job part of the redundancy package was expert help with your c.v., I did everything they told me and it they gave it the gold star, at my first job interview they told how rubbish it was and how it was all wrong, still I got the interview so not all bad and I got the job, so what do I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Well poop. The school went through a whole thing on getting our resumes set up, and they pretty much said that two pages is the norm for a nursing resume, but to keep at two, and no more.

But I was told by someone the other night that she felt my resume was too "wordy" and that I could get it down to one page. Not sure how, since my education and certifications take up a good block of that first page.

Two pages it is, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put too much information in a resume, there's nothing left to talk about at the interview.

Hit the high points with some details, try to keep it to one page, plus a 2nd page for references (if requested)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be as long as it needs to be to include everything relevant, without any waffle. Don't pad it out just to hit the magic page number.

If you're straight out of school, applying for an entry level job, then there might not be a lot of relevant things to include.
These can be the toughest jobs to get since there's more competition.
- Do include your most recent education results (but your primary school art class grade probably isn't relevant).
- Do include all work experience you have, whether paid or unpaid.
--At this level even the paper round you had as a kid could make a difference - it shows that you have a longstanding good attitude towards working.
--The volunteer work you do at the local soup kitchen shows that you have a sense of community responsibility (and that you're prepared to work).

If you're applying for a principal engineer role with a reputable consulting firm (or a lecturing position at a university), that's a different matter. These sorts of resumes could easily exceed 2 pages, and should be harshly culled of anything not directly related to the job role, lest they become so long that the reader just skips to the last page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.