Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about getting Bismarck 2E, SWWAS didn't really do it for me so this venerable game might be worth a shot.

I'm curious as to how the tactical side of this game plays. I've looked at the BGG pics and there's what's obviously a battle board. How detailed is the tactical combat in the basic game? Are there different turrets ranked by barrel size, fire arcs for broadsides, critical hits, ect.? Do the advanced tactical rules require a large playing area?

I've done a lot of naval miniatures gaming from easy games to highly complex ones, I know I can handle the rules in Bismarck but how is it overall as a tactical game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The battleboard is super simplistic and does not begin to stand up to even simple naval tactical games like Naval Thunder...

BUT... the rules also include "advanced" rules which uses larger counters (or you could use any minis you have) directly on a table top... it is a bit on the fiddly side, and it's really modifier heavy but it does a much more detailed job of modelling armor and the effects of damage, imo.

Personally, I like the advanced combat rules, although they slow down an already slow game. You can always just throw out the strategic level game and run a straight combat scenario though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Are we talking a 4'x6' playing area for the advanced game? Bigger or smaller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't have the game with me, but I think "extreme" range is about 3 feet... So probably a 3x4 or 4x4 area would be enough... especially since any battle is only likely to involve a couple ships on each side unless you do the "unlimited war" scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the advanced tactical rules quite a bit, it's especially good for free-for-all small fleet battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bil _
msg tools
The rules are a pretty good set of miniatures rules especially the advanced ones. The only real problem I have with them is that the German and American battleships are given more armour than they actually had. This is typical of Avalon Hill, which routinely overrated German ships in most of their naval games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agit prop
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A wrinkle was realized in our playthrough of the River Plate last weekend. Nowhere on the Advanced Combat card damage listing is there any mention of torpedoes. The Ajax and Achilles were pounded mercilessly by the Graf Spee, but were able to close to <8000 yds and launch torps, since technically they were never "destroyed".

Was there ever any errata about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.