Subject: Men are men and men should clean the kitchen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Try translating that sentence to any language using Google Translate and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google suggests and translates "Men are men and women should clean the kitchen."

The reason for this is the language model:

The Google translation system uses an n-gram language model to learn the phrase context. This means, the sentence is split in sub phrases like this 3-gram:
men are men
are men and
men and men
and men should
etc.

These phrases are compared to a huge corpus of phrases collected from several hundred million English sentences from websites.

Now the 3-gram "men and men" occurs much less in the corpus than the phrase "men and women" and the 4-gram "men and men should" also occurs much less than the phrase "men and women should". So the probability for "men and women" is much much higher.

Also the Levenshtein distance between "men and men" and "men and women" is low (2 insertions).

This lets the Google translation system believe that "men and women" is what the user wanted to write.

To get rid of the suggestion, leave out the "and":
"Men are men, men should clean the kitchen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for the explanation, but if it holds, then Google should give us the same suggestion if we replace "clean the kitchen" with "fight the wars", "fix the car" or "change the lightbulb" but it doesn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, but if it holds, then Google should give us the same suggestion if we replace "clean the kitchen" with "fight the wars", "fix the car" or "change the lightbulb" but it doesn't...

Männer sind Männer und Frauen sollten die Küche sauber
Männer sind Männer und Frauen sollten Kriege zu führen

Männer sind Männer und Frauen sollten das Auto fix

Männer sind Männer und Frauen sollte die Glühbirne zu wechseln

The only difference I see id the actual words that are different in English being translated into equivalent German words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The only difference I see id the actual words that are different in English being translated into equivalent German words.

There are two issues: the actual translations, and the pop-up
Quote:
Did you mean: men are men and women should clean the kitchen

The pop-up rarely appears. It doesn't come up for 'men are men and men should change a light-bulb', 'men are men and men should shave their beards', etc. but it does come up when you type 'men are men and men should clean [whatever]'

Translation to most languages preserves 'men are men and men [whatever]', but German and Swedish translations silently change the underlined men into women. Notably, though, 'men are men and men go to war' gets translated correctly (semantically, that is, not syntactically) to German.

But this is getting into details without touching the initial subject, which (I presume) is: what does this tell us about our society?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I think there are two systems working here, the first is the autocorrected suggestion (I think this can be turned off somewhere in the Google account settings) and the second is the actual translation.

Second, Google not only uses 3-grams but also n-grams for large n and more complex features (probably with syntactic information etc.). So the system actually might come up with a connection between "women" and "kitchen" because it sees a very probable relation between these words.

However, one should be very cautious when interpreting these results. Often the learning process is distorted by bad or strange data. At the end, the result counts (and it fails in this case ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cleans Google's kitchen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I clean the fucking kitchen, I also take of the kids, do laundry, make dinner and anything else that needs done around the house. If any of the pencil neck geeks over at google have a fucking problem with that I'll meet them outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
I clean the fucking kitchen, I also take of the kids, do laundry, make dinner and anything else that needs done around the house. If any of the pencil neck geeks over at google have a fucking problem with that I'll meet them outside after I've finished the fucking dishes.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently unemployed, I'm "House Dad," but I'm having an awful time getting motivated to clean the kitchen. I'm looking at it right now, I know it needs to be cleaned before the wife and kid come home, but what am I doing? Messing around with RSP on boardgamegeek!

I don't care how Google translates it, I'm having a terrible time translating what I know needs to be done regardless of gender, into actual work on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually tried putting it into Google Translate and the results weren´t that bad.

Translating it into German indeed gives the wrong answer, but all the Romance languages I tried it on give a correct answer. Did anyone else familar with other languages try this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.