The Thing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Thing strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three times as the Thing. Admittedly that's not much, but I have a rough picture of the game now.

In my last two games as the Thing I tried hard to slow down the Outpost. What I achieved was always a card or two short. I was never actually able to make the Outpost fail any encounter that it wanted to pass.

So both games revolved around: 1) me trying desperately to make them fail; 2) not having any success in that; 3) winning in the end with the "wait and see...", as they always burned, while they were all humans!

Now this is ok. I believe the first time this happened I NEVER ENJOYED A GAME MORE IN MY LIFE, and for that kudos to Mark Chaplin.

But I now wonder. Can I stop a careful Outpost play? They seem, at least if they average roll on the encounters, and they wisely pick their battles, frankly unstoppable. Is this shared by any of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good sum up. I'll try next games.

In my strategy I never pressured with the Blair Saucer, but I believe it could be a good alternative strategy if you believe that the tasks are not so important (cards that could go under the saucer are also able to take away tokens from tasks).

Leave the cancel card for the cure infection card which will play at mid of the game.

Keep at least 2 more cards you can spare with the most important ones, since they can make you discard them, and that could be frankly crippling. But do so, only when you know you're going to get cards, don't accumulate too many since you won't take advantage of the "up to 5 cards" draws. This is exquisitely a hand management dilemma, in this exquisite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
I do think the most important thing that The Thing player needs to do is unbalance the Outpost players, if they all co-operate and work together without pressure then they will more than likely win. However, if you sow doubt in their minds, leave them feeling isolated, paranoid about each other, unclear on which NPCs they can trust and bickering between each other, then they'll make weaker decisions.

I've played only 4 players' games. What I can say is that, generally the players will distrust each other by default if you start placing infection cards, NO MATTER what the infected players will do, they will always be suspected and burned. But if they're all humans, the added quantity of cards they have will make it very hard to do much about it when they try to pass some encounters they actually want to pass. Things should even out if one of them is a Thing.

From what I can see, if you're going to infect the players, infect most of them with the "I'm human", it is guaranteed that they will burn each other out in the end. If you want to infect a PC, make sure to infect the El Capitan, and if you do so, do it at the beginning of the game if you can, the red cards are most in Deck 1. While this is overt play, they'll lose a lot of cards trying to make the change in leadership. So go for the win in the Final Confrontation. So that Blair becomes appealing as a last Thing to come out, but leave "human" NPC not absorbed in the bio-mass, or otherwise revealed. Why this? Because the "El Capitan" will not play his cards, this will make it very hard for the players to win with Blair as a Thing. If they win, make the "El Capitan" player reveal. If they manage to kill him too - very unlikely - they still have that not revealed NPC to deal with. Is it a Thing? I believe it is most likely they will go for a Burn! Thus giving you a final victory. I've seen most players reason: "We've lost, but we have a moral victory there: we've sacrificed our lives to avoid the possibility of the Thing reaching Civilization..."!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.