Popular Tags: [View All]
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our dice tend to fly all over the place especially when playing games like Fortune and Glory where the entire table is taken over with the board, cards, and piles o' bits. The dice tend to knock board pieces over or fly off the table. Every now and then we get a player that will announce "that's cocked" and want a re-roll. I think using a dice tower might help us out with our over zealous dice rolling.

So, I'm interested in getting one but I'm looking for some advice and suggestions from those of you that use one or have used one.
What DO you like about yours?
What DON'T you like about yours?
If you don't use one, is it because you don't like them?
Why not?
Does yours come apart for traveling and/or storage?
Is that a nice feature or do you think that makes it flimsy?

I'm interested in buying one, but I'm not sure where from. I'd also like it to be made of wood or laminate but definitely not acrylic (I'm not sure I'd enjoy the loud clatter over and over). I'd hate to drop too much coin on it so I'm not really looking at custom jobs. Anyone have a suggestion for an online vendor?

I'd even consider building my own, but I'm not very handy or crafty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never used one, until I saw this print and build dice tower:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/fantasy/3d-paper-terr...

I had to buy it and build one myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Mulholland
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't currently use one, but am strongly thinking about it, mainly because my six year old has a tendency to either

A) throw the die or dice on the floor or
B) throw them across the board, scattering pieces.

And then my 8 year old picks up the dice before anyone can actually see them.

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing about these as well. I've been thinking about getting one from the dice tower (Vasel's group) - because I like their videos and because it's the only place I know of in my zero minutes of searching that sells them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I personally prefer the feel of actually rolling the dice. A tower just feels too disconnected from actually rolling dice.

If I'm concerned about the dice going everywhere, I'll just shake them up and pour them out from in between my hands, while keeping my hands down at the table to trap all the dice from going all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jordan here. A dice tower takes all the fun out of rolling dice.

Just learn to roll them rather than hurl them and there is no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
If you don't use one, is it because you don't like them?
Why not?

They're one of those things that solve a problem that doesn't exist.

*ducks*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I prefer a tray and cup.

When using a tower I feel like all my psychic energy is being sapped by the tumbler. I can no longer use my telekinetic aptitude to will the dice to the desired position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some games we play where we do use one. Usually we pull it out if space is a premium as you described.

Below is a link to an inexpensive one I picked up that is easily taken a part, stored, transported, etc.

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=21...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would like to get one.
if we're playing games on the dining room table, its not a problem, but if we're playing in the living room, its a small, round glass table, and sometimes the dice fall off.

for quarriors, i tend to use the top of the tin to roll in and for Elder sign, I just use the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I'd even consider building my own, but I'm not very handy or crafty.

I'm certainly not handy, but was able to build one without much trouble. Although I like it's imposing presence, it's a bit too large for practical use when sitting at a table (especially with the dice tray). The kids like to use it though, especially with Pickomino and King of Tokyo. I may have to paint it to look like a skyscraper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a tray for the reason noted above: there's something fun about the dice in your hands.

If you're not sure if a tray is for you and don't want to make a big investment, here's what you do:
1) Buy a 12-pack of soda. The box style that is square on the end and long.
2) Cut the square end off that isn't perforated. I do about 1.5" to 2" depth.
3) Throw dice into it for a few games.

I've got a couple makeshift dice trays made this way. They work great, are pretty durable, and virtually free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments so far. For those of you that still want the feel of rolling dice because of the disconnect some of you mentioned, what about a dice tray? We've tried box tops, but those can often be an inconvenience due to their inherent size.

I've seen of those Blue Panther dice towers floating around various online shops and may end up getting one of those. I'd love to hear from more people who own one.

I haven't entirely committed myself to the idea of buying (or building) one. As an old school D&D'er (and I still play classic D&D via the Labyrinth Lord rules) I agree that there's nothing quite like rolling the dice by hand which is why I may consider a decent dice tray instead but I'd like to hear more pros and cons to dice towers first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
I've got a couple makeshift dice trays made this way. They work great, are pretty durable, and virtually free.

Expensive dice trays for their construction, but they come with 12 free cans of soda!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just last weekend I went to Walmart and got a nice rubber lined tray that is about the right size. The rubber lining keeps the noise down. It cost $6.00 but I could have easily substituted a $2.00 plastic tray without the rubber lining.

Then I looked at cups. Since it would be handled a lot I wanted something nicer than a cardboard Taco Bell cup even though that would have been fine assuming I get the sticky Mountain Dew residue out first. The cups they sell to put next to your bathroom sink are a cut above the ones on the cup isle. Plastic is important since anything else will get noisy. I found a fancy one with a rubber bottom and a nice heft to it for $6.00.

I prefer this to my Dice Boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally made my own dicetower. It's not professional but it gets the job done. I have a lot of tumblers in the middle (am I using the right word here?) then I have it come out into a tray at the bottom. Then i lined it all with felt. And, I can take apart the actual dice roller part and the tray for easy storage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Go here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I never used one, until I saw this print and build dice tower:

Neither did I... Now I want one!

Dice towers are good but remember they are going to take up space on the table.

Possibly start using a box lid to roll dice in and see if this suits your players/solves the problem, then consider purchasing something i.e. dice tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have relatively small table, so if the game board is on the bigger side, it was basically the only possible place to roll the dice. For example with Merchants & Marauders there's more than enough space on the board to roll the dice so it's no problem. But with some games, like Earth Reborn, rolling on the board is not quite that easy. As the map is modular and all the doors etc are placed on the map, rolling the dice on it often meant messing up the map. So I built a dice tower using a wine box and some felt:
From wine box to dice tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
The Single Page Dice Tower v. 1.1
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34099/the-single-page-dice...

I can recommend this Dice Tower as a print and try from Russell Howell - badgeguy.
I copied the design onto card, cut it out, put it together and painted with watered down PVA glue to provide some additional rigidity and it works very well.
There is also a link to a single page dice catcher - again recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made this one myself, I find it does the trick.

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish, about $10 for the hardware, I had the wood lying around.

Made it because the game in the picture takes up a lot of space and I am not a fan of people with telekinetic dice manipulating powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa - that looks like some form of medieval torture device . I bet it works well though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice are like fine cigars. They're addicting and cause ca- no wait, that's not it.

The experience is better when they are hand rolled. If you lack the discipline to keep the dice on the table while avoiding game bit disruption, then I recommend using a box lid or other suitable dice tray. The only time a tower makes sense is when either gambling or a huge ego is involved, and accusations of cheating are likely to sap the fun worse than the tower would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have no idea how a "Pitjesbak" is called in English, but these are handy if you want to throw dice really hard, while avoiding dice of the table and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pop-O-Matics were ahead of their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After ruining one too many games of Eclipse with badly thrown dice, we purchased this. I love it because it has a low profile so you can see the results from anywhere around the table. There's also felt on the bottom so you can slide it easily.

I owned a large dragon dice tower (Vixentor) for about a week and then got rid of it. Felt like I was wasting time using it and waiting for the dice to reach the bottom. Easier/faster to just throw them into a dice tray.

While the dice tower looked really cool, I feel like they're kind of gimmicky while dice trays are more practical and better suited to quick rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.