Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I have just joined BGG and have found the site to be a total time suck, which is a good thing IMO.

My gaming history has been mainly RISK and the occasional game of Farkle. Then I stumbled across an article on something called, "Euro Games." The a quick google search later and her I am at BGG.

My first purchases were iOS games of Ticket to Ride, Carcasssonne and Ascension. All very fun in their own ways but I've spent the most time trying to master Carcassonne. Thirty or so games later and I still don't have a firm grasp on the farming.

My first physical purchase was Dominion from a great little game store here in town called Games Unlimited. Great folks with a vast knowledge of games and super helpful even recommending games for my 5 year old. I've played a few 2player games of Dominion and once with four people and I find it to be excellent. Once we figure out a balance of cards I'm sure it will get even better.

Then I found a little game called Rallyman. Holy crap, right up my alley as I am a huge racing fan. Went out last night and purchased my 2nd physical game...Gentleman start your engines. I can't wait to give this a go this weekend. I've read that using a timer for each player's turn puts pressure on decision making, thus creating more accidents.

I've rambled on long enough but I'm very excited about my new obsession. My wife says I've replaced my blu-ray obsession with boardgames. To that I say, hell yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Unlimited is my store as well. If you see me there (I am often around) say hi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
My wife says I've replaced my blu-ray obsession with boardgames. To that I say, hell yes.

That's a switch I'd be happy with, personally. I hope it treats you well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames won't be obsolete in the next 5 years.

Good to have you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I went to Games Unlimited back when I was in college oh so many years ago (Carnegie-Mellon; I remember the hike up to Squirrel Hill quite well). That's where I bought my very first D&D dice set, the lousy cheap plastic ones, which I think I still have. Good to hear it is still there!

When I visited colleges for my kids, I always kept an eye out for the nearby game store, hoping at least one child would follow in my game-loving footsteps. So I have learned how rare stores like this really are - big metro areas may have them, but small college towns, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My wife says I've replaced my blu-ray obsession with boardgames. To that I say, hell yes.

Yep, you'll get far more replay value out of them. Welcome to the asylum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
Games Unlimited is my store as well. If you see me there (I am often around) say hi

Is that your picture as your avatar? I'll look out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes i look just like that only more humanish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG. You'll never look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No use collecting movies on discs when they change formats and medium anyway, hard disc drives falls in price the whole time and it makes more sense to just store the files there than having a bunch of discs lying around.

(Having a bunch of game boxes may be no better and as you've noticed games can be electronically emulated / developed anyway .. But ..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update to my ABG (after board games) life.

I've now made my first trade with another BGG member getting Lost Cities and Citadels to take on our family trip to Mexico.

Thanks to a great thread on cycling/racing games, Games Unlimited will be calling me next week with my new copy of Leader 1: Hell of the North. I am so excited for this game. I've already started reading the rules here on BGG.

The best news is that I discovered that two different neighbors are board gamers as well. We have plans to get together soon for a dinner party game night. There will be six of us!

My wish list gets closer and closer to 100 every day.

I really need to spend more time in the evening playing Rallyman than I do browsing BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! My advice to you is RUNNNN! Wait, first buy one last game, then.....RUNNNN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.