Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, im new to board gaming but i consider myself a vet to gaming (mostly video games)

I recently got into board gaming because my gf has been nagging me for "playing video games too much" A little less then a month ago we were at the mall and saw a board game store, so we decided to check it out. We ended up getting munchkins (per owners request) since it was relatively inexpensive (my gf looked like O.o when she saw the prices of some games!) To my supprise she liked the game and it served as a good entry for her to board gaming (I know its a card game not a board game) Less then a week after I had purchased some exspansions for munchkins and bought her carcassonne for her birthday.

Cut to a little less then a month later I have bought a carc exspansion and stone age. Heres where the addiction starts over the weekend (after playing many games of stone age) my gf and I went out and got power grid, tues this week I orded agricola from amazon, and last night we went to a gaming store we had never been too (i was planning on getting walnut grove or ora et labora) where I purchased walnut grove. I kinda wish I would of purchased ora et labora after finding out its already sold out from the manufacturer. I think I might go back and pick up a copy next week! .... O ya almost forgot I pre-ordered eclipse too!!!!! I cant wait for that one.

So do you guys/girls think I have an addiction?! Do I remind any of you of yourself when you first got into board gaming?

Any suggestions on 2 player games to play for my gf and I?

Lastly, and suggestions to get my friends to play (im 20 my gfs 21 ) my friends seem to laugh when I say "we should play a board game sometime"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not even at the first stages of addiction.

When you play 4 nights a week yet wonder why you never get to play and own over 50 unplayed titles, then you are at the start of addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its only an addiction of you can't do with out it, I would susgest only playing 1/10th of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahaha

I guess its only a matter of time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-player games that my girlfriend and I most enjoy are Hive, Jaipur, Lost Cities and Mr. Jack.

It's hard not to get sucked into the board gaming world. It's not a problem unless you can't afford those new games. Just tell your friends to give games a chance - if they don't like it, you won't bug them again. Maybe start with something like Carcassonne, which you already own?

Otherwise, you will have to make new friends that play board games. I am not suggesting you abandon your old friends, but recognize that different friends have different interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Dominion is excellent as a two player game and 90% of the people I have introduced to it have loved it even if they have never been board gamers and don't like other games they still love Dominion (in my experience).

Welcome to this wonderful hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions ill have to check them out.

This sat a local store is having a board game night that im considering going too... I just dont know if my gf will like it (she dosent like being in big groups of people and shes not real "nerdy")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great 2-player game is Race for the galaxy. it is a fast card game once you both know how to play and it can be played with up to 6 once you get the expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lsbass wrote:
Hi all, im new to board gaming but i consider myself a vet to gaming (mostly video games)

I recently got into board gaming because my gf has been nagging me for "playing video games too much" A little less then a month ago we were at the mall and saw a board game store, so we decided to check it out. We ended up getting munchkins (per owners request) since it was relatively inexpensive (my gf looked like O.o when she saw the prices of some games!) To my supprise she liked the game and it served as a good entry for her to board gaming (I know its a card game not a board game) Less then a week after I had purchased some exspansions for munchkins and bought her carcassonne for her birthday.

Cut to a little less then a month later I have bought a carc exspansion and stone age. Heres where the addiction starts over the weekend (after playing many games of stone age) my gf and I went out and got power grid, tues this week I orded agricola from amazon, and last night we went to a gaming store we had never been too (i was planning on getting walnut grove or ora et labora) where I purchased walnut grove. I kinda wish I would of purchased ora et labora after finding out its already sold out from the manufacturer. I think I might go back and pick up a copy next week! .... O ya almost forgot I pre-ordered eclipse too!!!!! I cant wait for that one.

So do you guys/girls think I have an addiction?! Do I remind any of you of yourself when you first got into board gaming?

Lastly, and suggestions to get my friends to play (im 20 my gfs 21 ) my friends seem to laugh when I say "we should play a board game sometime"

You live in Ohio, which is like the boardgame mecca of the US, I'm told.

There has to be a local group or two, I highly recommend you check it out.

...and if I may:
The geeklist auctions thread.
Geeklist auctions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lsbass wrote:

Keep it light and easily explainable if you want strategy:
Survive!
Ticket to Ride
Paris Connection
Cargo noir
Acquire
Bohnanza

Then it's requisite you have a few party games:
Quelf
Time's Up!
Telestrations
Dixit

Then if they're friends you want to play bluffing games with:
Citadels (really, most anything from Bruno Faidutti)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, come and join us: http://www.meetup.com/clevelandgamers/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
lsbass wrote:

You live in Ohio, which is like the boardgame mecca of the US, I'm told.

There has to be a local group or two, I highly recommend you check it out.

...and if I may:
The geeklist auctions thread.
Geeklist auctions

Is ohio really the boardgame mecca?! I do have 4-5 gaming stores within 20minutes of my house (which one has a copy of eclipse devil I might have to cancel my preorder and put ora et labora on hold)

If we attended a group do you think we would be the odd man out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lsbass wrote:

If we attended a group do you think we would be the odd man out?

See the enthusiasm in this thread?

it will be close to that.

I do recommend bringing a couple games that you can teach, if it should come up... but other than that, don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're talking about Underhill's game night on Saturday, you won't be the odd people out at all! Everyone is very friendly and welcoming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I really like the video reviews out there from Tom Vasel, Undeadviking, Joel eddy (eekamouse?), castellireviews.com, drakkenstrikevideos.com...

but I also recommend Paul Springer's videos

http://www.bgg.cc/geeklist/48606/the-untitled-flash-based-re...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how his cry for help turned into a request for suggestions for more games to buy. No, not an addiction at all . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good point sylvester! I didnt exspect to get so many responses that are so postive

Erin that is it! As long as nothing comes up and I can convince my gf to go with me I should be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Seme
United States
broadview hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
I like how his cry for help turned into a request for suggestions for more games to buy. No, not an addiction at all . . .

LOL Im just gonna keep telling myself im not addicted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming here and talking about addiction is pretty similar to going to a bar to ask if you're an alcoholic. Enablers, all of us.
And I should know... I'm not only an enabler but an addict with you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 117 games, according to BGG, plus another 102 expansions (though to be fair a lot of those don't really count -- Dominion: Stash Promo Card doesn't really belong in the same list to Descent: The Road to Legend). I have been to Gen Con the past two years. I host a weekly game night with friends, play games with my family almost every night, and am part owner of a large FLGS.

...and I first got into this hobby in March of 2010, which is almost exactly 100 weeks ago. Discounting the ten or so games in my collection that represent random crap I received for Christmas or whatnot over the years, that still leaves me averaging 1.1 new games a week for the past two years. And that's not counting expansions.

And I consider myself less addicted than a lot of BGG users -- I still have a backlog of titles from Christmas to get through, but I have actually played most of my collection, and am not getting much in the way of new stuff until I rack up some more plays on the games I already have. I have only bought one new game so far this year, and have no plans to buy more at the moment. There are people on this site that buy several new games each and every week, with a list of unplayed games stretching into the hundreds. You're not even scratching the surface of an addiction yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have an addiction, you have a new hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
You're just getting started. Check in again after you've made your 2nd or 3rd $100+ purchase (for the free shipping) from CSI or one of the other big OLGS's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...you're allowed to order less than $100 worth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
coolpapa wrote:
Wait...you're allowed to order less than $100 worth?

I guess. But then you'd just be, uh, wasting money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Couple bits of welcome information we should post on the door to a user registration to BGG.

*Careful when ordering from mayday games. Clearly they stay in business, but there's a thread about every other month in the "Discussing Retailers" section regarding their customer service. I recommend ordering from them through a retailer like CSI or timewellspentgames.com if you need card sleeves.

*Not all your friends are going to like your games. It's just how it is.

*Tower of Babel, Uptown, Key Harvest ...all always on sale at Amazon.com. Leonardo Da Vinci is always 10 bucks at CSI.

*It takes about a month to get something ordered from Tanga. Be patient. I assure you, it will come on a day when your wife/girlfriend/joint-checking-account says, "ok, money is kind of tight this week".

*You have a problem when you're having stuff shipped to your workplace.

*The ranking on BGG matters, but doesn't all at the same time. (I like to use the 'average' rank.)

* Eurogames mean non-conflict sort of resource-fests. Ameritrash is conflict with usually a lot of cool plastic pieces.

* The 'files' section is a MUST and has lots of really cool rules summaries for each game. Having 2-3 rules summaries printed out has made teaching a game so much easier for me (assuming folks aren't turned-off by reading)

* Keep your 'collection' up-to-date. It makes trades, recommendations, everything so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.