Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't go into detail about the early part of my game. I mostly want to talk about the final city. This was my 2nd solo conquest game (Game #5 total for me). Rounds 1-4 were amazing. The first round, I made it to level 3, recruited a unit, and got a spell from the mage tower. It was an amazing start. Things didn't slow down from there. I kept racking up the units and destroying many orcs to stay positive on the reputation. Later in the game I took out a few dragons with my spells. I was extremely beefy after taking the first city (green lvl 6) and recruited 2 ice mages at a nearby mage tower.

Now the final city. A combination of my least favorite things to face in this game.

1.) Lvl 8 White city (+1 armor to all... argh)
2.) It's bad enough to fight 1 freezer but 3 of them?? Comeon!
3.) The gray enemy had a ton of armor (7 I think)

Then, something clicked. I just recruited not one but TWO ice mages! With 4 armor and ice resistance I can assign damage from 2 of the freezers to them without them getting wounded (and destroyed). I was able to kill the 3rd freezer with siege damage (from the ice mages). The high armor gray unit? I had the fire shield spell which destroys the unit if I block his attack, no problem!

I was unable to kill 1 of the remaining freezers but that really didn't matter. I can go in and attack next turn and not worry about his attack (thanks ice mages!). No problem finishing him off. I ended the game with around 180 points and no wounds in my deck (or wounded units even). The dummy player even had 5-6 cards left in his deck (would have been more if I had slightly more attack)! Finally a good counter for those annoying freezers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's definitely fortunate for you that you had two ice mages!

I'm a bit confused though about how your mages blocked and didn't get any wounds? I thought that if you aren't blocking the attack, you are automatically getting a wound card, it just takes however much armor the mage has, off the attack.

I don't have my game in front of me, but if the ice mage has armor of 5 and the attack was 4, that would just mean it would only be one wound dealt and nothing else would need to be dealt with from that enemy. That would also mean your ice mage would not be able to do an action after that (except for siege happening first against an enemy).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have ice resist and the freezers do ice damage. If you block with a resistant unit, they can absorb up to (and including) their armor amount without getting wounded. If the number is greater than their armor, they take a wound but they reduce the attack by their armor again (it's counted twice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, that's awesome! I somehow missed that!

Next question, when you are assigning damage to them, does it exhaust them meaning that they can't fight anymore as would happen when they take a wound? Or is that negated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
wow, that's awesome! I somehow missed that!

Next question, when you are assigning damage to them, does it exhaust them meaning that they can't fight anymore as would happen when they take a wound? Or is that negated?

Assigning damage never exhausts a unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so an ally acts more or less as permanent armor for your team. That's very cool. Finally a rule I missed that actually helps me, lol.

Last question, what if the unit is already spent or exhausted. Can they still take that resistance? I am assuming so, since you can still wound a used unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you still can. The only rule is that you can only assign damage to a particular unit once during each combat. That's why it was important that I had 2 Ice Mages. If I had only 1 ice mage, I'd only be able to assign damage from 1 of the freezers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
The only rule is that you can only assign damage to a particular unit once during each combat.

Well, you also can't assign damage to a unit that still has one or more wounds from a previous combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the post here can be confusing because the terms "block" and what resistances do, and when it matters, is easy to get caught up in. In the original example the Ice Mages were not being used to block (using them to do so would have precluded them attacking which is what they were to be used for). He was "assigning" them the damage from the freezers and, because of the ice resistance, they were able to suck up the damage without taking a wound card (as long as the damage didn't exceed their armour value).

This is key. Had they taken a wound, they would not have been able to be activated to attack in the "attack phase." You cannot activate a wounded unit. If you read the original post he made that clear that it was important that they not be wounded.

Once spent, they can still be assigned damage and as long as they are only up against freezers, they can do it all day (in separate attacks). The grey was the most dangerous enemy and needed to be dispatched early, which he had provided for. After that he could pick off the remaining freezer(s) as necessary - rinse and repeat, cards permitting.

Units with resistances are always great to have but they shine best in specific circumstances. This was one where the unit/enemy match up was perfect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.