Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news ... There’s a new Bohnanza

The mechanics:
The game is build up on 2 in my opinion great mechanics.
It’s a dice game so obviously you roll dice. You put aside the dice you want to keep by putting them on the large cardboard bean field. Then you continue to roll dice to get better results with the rest of the dice. Now comes the big deal. Not only the player whose turn it is needs to be focused to get the right combination of beans, everybody at the table needs to be focused. The player rolling the dice scores collections of beans with the beans on the large bean field, all the opponents however can fulfill collections with the beans just rolled. So all players need to stay focused on the dice all the time, ‘cause there’s an opportunity on every dice roll.
The bean collection cards are another great part of the game. Each card has a variety of 6 different bean collections. You start collecting these collections with the bottom line of beans and slowly (or rather fast) work your way up. When beans have been collected, you cover the line with a 2nd card and move the card up once you’ve collected the next line. The 2 lowest collections don’t give you any beantalers. The 3rd line gives you 1 Taler, the 4th gives you 2 Talers, 5th 3 Talers and the top row will give you 4 Talers. You do not need to fulfill all collections on a single card to harvest. You can harvest at any time and collect the beans by flipping over the card putting the beantaler side up. In case you collected more than 1 Taler, you need to draw the other talers from the drawing pile.
Another thing I like isn’t actually a mechanic but part of the rules anyway.
The winner who first gets 13 beantalers, is the winner. I always like these kind of goals to end a game. They make it easy to play shorter or longer games depending on how much time you have or how much fun you’re having. Also very important to mention is that every player can get 13 talers at any time even if it’s not their turn.

The Components:
The cards are decent Amigo-Spiele quality just like every other game they produce thumbsup
The dice look good as well. I expected them to be engraved, but they aren’t. It’s no big deal though. A lot of future game time will tell if the ink stays on. (Keeping fingers crossed)
Besides the yellow face, the images are good to recognize. There are two different type of dice with different dice faces. The colour difference between the two dice could have been better but in the right light, this shouldn’t be a problem either. Christian Hildenbrand from Amigo-Spiele wrote on Spielbox.de about their effort of finding a balance between creating decent dice and creating a dice game in the price range of the regular Bohnanza card games. Here’s his post: http://www.spielbox-online.de/phorum4/read.php4?f=1&i=260528...&
I think they’ve done a good job. A decent dice game with decent components for a very good price thumbsup
In case there will be a deluxe version in the future, I’m sure I’ll buy it

The theme:
I’m a Bohnanza fan so obviously I like the theme a lot. This game however, doesn’t need the Bohnanza theme to be a great game. Although there are plenty of comparisons to make, the game doesn’t really give you the feel of playing a Bohnanza game. The obvious comparisons are easily spotted. You collect beans (in this case collections of beans) and when you’ve collected enough of the right ones, you harvest and get bean talers by flipping over the cards.
Maybe not as obvious, in a regular game of Bohnanza you work your way down the bean field and collect more and more beans of the same sort and by doing so you earn bean talers. The more beans you need, the harder it gets, the more talers you’ll earn. In Würfel Bohnanza you’re basically doing the same. You roll beans to build collections and by doing so, you move upwards the collection card. The chance of rolling the right beans to form the bean collections on your cards becomes smaller and smaller while moving up the cards. Getting higher means a higher difficulty which will be rewarded with more bean talers. There you have it. A great theme that fits perfectly. thumbsup

So what do I think of the game in general?
It’s a Bohnanza game, so what is there not to like 8-)
Besides that, it has the right mechanics to be a great game with zero downtime.
There is not a single reason I can think of to skip this game at the game store.

Who likes this game and who doesn’t ?
For Bohnanza fans it has the obvious and less obvious links to the regular Bohnanza and for all others it’s also a light, easy to learn and fun game. People who don’t like the card game but do like dice games will like this game probably as well. People who don’t like luck in a game probably won’t buy dice games anyway, so they probably won’t buy this game either.

I’m tempted to give the game 9 stars BUT cool , since I’m a Bohnanza fan that could be the fan thinking. So I’ll give it 8 stars instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cross
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de here I come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattx wrote:
Amazon.de here I come!

They wouldnt ship to my address. =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reed
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breakaway11 wrote:
mattx wrote:
Amazon.de here I come!

They wouldnt ship to my address. =(

Who is "they" here, and what country is your address in? If you're buying from Amazon.DE proper, then they ship almost anywhere. If you're buying from an Amazon Marketplace seller, then they can pick where they will ship to via Amazon, and many of them won't ship to the US... but when you reach out to the seller directly (or buy from their own website), I find they often will. I suspect there is something going on like Amazon limiting shipping charges to the point that these sellers lose money shipping here through the Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.