Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that I haven't played a full game of Homesteaders yet, and I don't own a copy yet. I have only played through a fake game by myself...only controlling my one homestead and adding some (very poor) mechanical bidding competition. Having said that, here is my relatively blind attempt at defining a solitaire version:

Set up as if it were a 4-player game
Each round, a dummy bid will be established for each of the 3 auctions. To win that auction, you must put your marker on the space above the dummy bid, and pay that amount.
During the Settlement phase, for each auction roll a d6, and that is the dummy bid. If you roll 1 or 2, the dummy bid is 3, so the dummy bids will range from 3 to 6.
During the Town phase, for each auction roll a d6, and count up that many spaces starting from 3. This means dummy bids will range from 3 to 9.
During the City phase, for each auction roll a d6, and count up that many spaces starting from 5. This means dummy bids will range from 5 to 16.

Perhaps the city phase bidding should have less of a spread? Those of you who have played games can say what typical bid ranges are.

Anyone want to give it a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fancy your solo gaming more of a puzzle, the designer has posted two solo challenges here in the forums. They are deterministic (no luck) where you try to find the best score you can get. They kept me entertained for a good many plays, trying to find the optimal solution.

I think under your system you would end up not passing enough, and the game would be too easy, but I'm not sure. In actual games bids of 3 are quite rare, as are bids at the upper ends you have for the Town and City phases (9, 16), although I'd say high bids are more common than low bids. It might make more sense to use a bell curve spread (like 2d3) instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
If you fancy your solo gaming more of a puzzle,

Randomness is important to me, in the absence of a human opponent. But thanks for pointing to the other ideas.
Quote:
I think under your system you would end up not passing enough, and the game would be too easy, but I'm not sure. In actual games bids of 3 are quite rare, as are bids at the upper ends you have for the Town and City phases (9, 16), although I'd say high bids are more common than low bids. It might make more sense to use a bell curve spread (like 2d3) instead.

From reading various session reports and designer notes, it seems like there can be a lot of groupthink about "appropriate" bid amounts, so coming up with universally "realistic" values might not be possible. I thought about a bell curve, but hadn't thought about a 2d3. Maybe some Fudge Dice would help here. I wish I had some.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.