True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In these threads, we discuss the text and what we think of it. This discussion is open to everyone.

This Jewish translation from the Tananch is found here:
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16478

Another translation can be found here:
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt3305.htm

Esther - Chapter 5

1. Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther clothed herself regally, and she stood in the inner court of the king's house, opposite the king's house, and the king was sitting on his royal throne in the royal palace, opposite the entrance of the house. 2. And it came to pass when the king saw Queen Esther standing in the court, that she won favor in his eyes, and the king extended to Esther the golden scepter that was in his hand, and Esther approached and touched the end of the scepter. 3. And the king said to her, "What concerns you, Queen Esther, and what is your petition? Even to half the kingdom, it will be given to you."

4. And Esther said, "If it pleases the king, let the king and Haman come today to the banquet that I have prepared for him."

5. And the king said, "Rush Haman to do Esther's bidding," and the king and Haman came to the banquet that Esther had prepared.

6. And the king said to Esther during the wine banquet, "What is your petition? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even up to half the kingdom, it shall be fulfilled."

7. Then Esther replied and said, "My petition and my request [are as follows]: 8. If I have found favor in the king's eyes, and if it pleases the king to grant my petition and to fulfill my request, let the king and Haman come to the banquet that I will make for them, and tomorrow I will do the king's bidding."

9. And Haman went out on that day, happy and with a cheerful heart, but when Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate, and he neither rose nor stirred because of him, Haman was filled with wrath against Mordecai. 10. But Haman restrained himself, and he came home, and he sent and brought his friends and Zeresh his wife. 11. And Haman recounted to them the glory of his riches and the multitude of his sons, and all [the ways] that the king had promoted him and that he had exalted him over the princes and the king's servants. 12. And Haman said, "Esther did not even bring [anyone] to the party that she made, except me, and tomorrow, too, I am invited to her with the king. 13. But all this is worth nothing to me, every time I see Mordecai the Jew sitting in the king's gate."

14. And Zeresh his wife and all his friends said, "Let them make a gallows fifty cubits high, and in the morning say to the king that they should hang Mordecai on it, and go to the king to the banquet joyfully." The matter pleased Haman, and he made the gallows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no balls I'm not interested.

Wait...that wasn't meant to sound like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know there's a reason for it, but I like how Esther risks her life to invite the King to the first banquet, only to invite him to a second one the next day. The King must have been wondering what was so all-fired important, only to find out he had to wait another day to find out.

It's also interesting how Haman receives some exceedingly bad advice, as it turns out, from his own wife...perhaps I'd better not say any more at this point. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.