Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
http://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-announces-online-gaming-netwo...

If you read between the lines, most of it was about how Nintendo is playing catch-up with the XBox and Playstation networks, but this little quote toward the bottom set my gears turning:

Besides the network, Iwata had another surprise about the Wii U: Near-field communication (NFC). The wireless tech, usually associated with mobile-payment systems like Google Wallet, will be built into the tablet controller for the console. Iwata said that with NFC "it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data ... to expand the new play format in the video game world."

Boardgame/RPG and Video game hybrids, anyone?

As an old-school VG player who was awed by the general concept of the Odyssey² system's The Quest for the Rings, I can't help but think what sort of possibilities might exist for a board game, wargame, or tatctical RPG that tracks mini movements on a tabletop board, and syncronizes with mechanics run on the game system.

Think about it: Players compete head to head, or play a co-op, but now the AI is far more sophisticated, possibly introducing dynamic scripted environmental effects, computer-controlled third-party adversaries, and the like. You could even sync up a computer-version of a game with it's real-space counter part, so now a group of players could be playing together at the tabletop, while their friend in Siberia plays along on his videogame networked version.

Granted... would Nintendo do any of this? Seems like a great way to extend nonconventional gameplay and further appeal to the casual videogame player... Or a whole new way to sell collectible crap and tchochkas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All we need now is a Holographic Projector with good interface and we can do away with the physical all together. No more bemoaning a lack of space to store games. And digital copies shouldnt ever be out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Nintendo we're talking about. They excel at marketing and knowing their target audience but when it comes to peripherals or anything online/network related they bomb hard. I'm just going off history here but what this means to me is another E-Card reader or as you put it "a whole new way to sell collectible crap and tchochkas."

@Chris Lake: Oh, digital games will go out of print when the producer decides to pull the plug on them. This is why I'm wary about digital on consoles because licensing issues abound and there's no guarantee a server will exist forever. There was a lot of stink about non-transferable games between DSi and 3DS. Nintendo released a tool to remedy that (somewhat) but all three Nintendo stores use a different currency. Huh?

The biggest fear right now is that the Wii U will have a different store and everything you bought on the Wii can't be transferred. Nintendo pretty much pulled the plug on the Virtual Console after 2 years with major releases trickling to a halt. I just don't trust Nintendo with anything internet related because they're trapped in 1999.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just something else for them to sell pokemon cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
All we need now is a Holographic Projector with good interface and we can do away with the physical all together. No more bemoaning a lack of space to store games. And digital copies shouldnt ever be out of print.

Help me obi-wan, you're my only hope.

I may be in the minority, but an electronic representation of something (book, game, etc.) will never replace the tactile superiority of having the actual object. There's advantages to e-format for some things, but IMO they're often outweighed by the visceral connection we're just hard-wired to have with actual, physical objects.

I prefer to think of ways to combine both mediums, rather than how one could outright replace another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

If you read between the lines, most of it was about how Nintendo is playing catch-up with the XBox and Playstation networks, but this little quote toward the bottom set my gears turning:

Besides the network, Iwata had another surprise about the Wii U: Near-field communication (NFC). The wireless tech, usually associated with mobile-payment systems like Google Wallet, will be built into the tablet controller for the console. Iwata said that with NFC "it will become possible to create cards and figurines that can electronically read and write data ... to expand the new play format in the video game world."

Already exists: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

I was thinking more like this:
Eye of Judgment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Already exists: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Kids at my son's school FLIP for Skylanders. And you bring your figures to someone elses house and it has your guys stats built in already. Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares about what Nintendo is goign to do exactly. What great ideas do WE have (and game designers generally have) about using physical components with computers, and over networks? What gameplay experiences area available, what social experiences are available, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
Who cares about what Nintendo is goign to do exactly. What great ideas do WE have (and game designers generally have) about using physical components with computers, and over networks? What gameplay experiences area available, what social experiences are available, etc.

uhhhh... Skylanders?

I'm not really sure what's wrong with that. It's an incredible concept, that character stats are stored in miniatures. This is the gameplay experience. Swapping figures alters the gameplay. It's here now. Why are you begrudging Nintendo for advancing it to the next level? They've melded physical and electronic pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seen it before. But as with past tries, it likely wont catch on yet as the technology just hasnt quite caught up to the concepts and what you get tends to be just one more glorified action figure. Which is still neet. But its nothing new at the same time.

Chaotic has been testing the waters with the card to computer concept in that each card has a unique code on it that is used in the online version.

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.
Starbirds
Barcode Battle
Card Warriors (not sure on the title)
Tamagouchi
Didgimon (back when they were one of the original didgital pets like the Tamagouchi.)

Theres been some "plug in" figures before. Though the titles elude me at the moment.

Still. Its neet to see Nintendo doing what they do best and worst. Experiment with peripherals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
ender7 wrote:

uhhhh... Skylanders?

I'm not really sure what's wrong with that. It's an incredible concept, that character stats are stored in miniatures. This is the gameplay experience. Swapping figures alters the gameplay. It's here now. Why are you begrudging Nintendo for advancing it to the next level? They've melded physical and electronic pretty well.

No doubt, Skylander is one example, and I don't begrudge anyone, I think it's great! But surely this is just the tip of the iceberg, and there will be lots of interesting ways to mash this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these Skylander figurines do anything else? Are they used in anything outside of the videogame other than look cool? Because game/character stats could be taken with you starting back on PS1/N64 memory cards. If these figures aren't used for anything else, than there's really no innovation here.

Edit: After looking a little more into it, if this is the wave of the future, than I don't think I want to join in. Take a memory card that works for all games on a system, mold in fancy plastic and then make it work for one character of a single game. And then if you want to unlock more areas, you have to go to the store and buy more of these figures, which is way less convenient than just purchasing downloadable content. The only next level this advances are these companies pocketbooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Chaotic has been testing the waters with the card to computer concept in that each card has a unique code on it that is used in the online version.

Yugioh has been doing that since they started printing the game in 2000.
Every card has a code printed on it, and most of the video games accept the codes to let you import a virtual copy of the card.

This predates Chaotic by over 7 years.

Not new. Not even close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is nothing new in teh world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Yugioh has been doing that since they started printing the game in 2000.
Every card has a code printed on it, and most of the video games accept the codes to let you import a virtual copy of the card.

This predates Chaotic by over 7 years.

Not new. Not even close.

Didnt say Chaotcs use was new.

The idea goes back a little further than either game. They just happen to be the ones making more extensive use of the concept instead of just dabbling as most have so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.