Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a three-player game. One player had a Tactics an advanced action card that let him throw away a card and take a tactics an advanced action card of that color. In the last day and night of the game, we were running out of tactics advanced action cards (there were also three abbeys).

When you need to refill the display and the abbey knowledge, but you do not have enough tactics advanced action cards, which takes precedence: filling the display or the abbey knowledge?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Running Out of Tactics Cards
I think you are referring to "Advanced Action" cards. You should just follow the procedures at the bottom of Page 1 of the main rulebook. It tells you step-by-step what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Running Out of Tactics Cards
I did mean advanced action cards. Thanks.

We did follow the end of round section, but it seemed like the abbeys then took precedence, which we thought was weird because it really made leveling up so much less valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in case anyone is confused even further, in game terms it's a "monastery", not an "abbey".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note to self: don't try to write rules questions after playing something for six hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
I did mean advanced action cards. Thanks.

We did follow the end of round section, but it seemed like the abbeys then took precedence, which we thought was weird because it really made leveling up so much less valuable.

Actually, I think the section of the rulebook on pg 1 is called "One Round of the Game (day or night)". It notes that all Advanced Action cards that are removed are put at the bottom of the deck (not discarded). It also instructs you in a certain sequence (Unit Offer first, Adv. Action Offer next, etc.)

Do you think you ran out of Adv. Action cards because you were removing them from the game (instead of putting them at the bottom of the deck as the rules describe)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, we didn't remove any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Then this thread is proof that we need an expansion, and soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, we didn't remove any.

This means that on average everybody had 7 advanced actioncards in his/her hand, that seems like a lot to me.

It can happen off course, but I would think that some people were most likely playing an inefficient game there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've certainly seen the Advanced Action Cards legitimately run out a number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Each round, the dummy takes one, so the dummy had five. Three of us had a few from leveling up. And one of those three had many more from receiving the card early that let him exchange a plain card for an advanced action card, so he did that about five times. Also, there were many monasteries, requiring three or four in the display.

It was really because of that special card that let one player take an extra advanced action card every round coming out at the beginning that caused the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
It was really because of that special card that let one player take an extra advanced action card every round coming out at the beginning that caused the problem.

28 come with the game.

3 in the display, leaving 25 in the pile

It seems you were playing the "Co-Op" scenario (I hope you were as you dont use the dummy player in competitive games), so the dummy player got 5.

Each player would get one at odd-numbered levels, so if each player got to level 9 also, that is 5 each to the players. 23 used so far, 5 left in the pile.

One player using the card each round after the first to get an extra one is an extra 5 gone. All out!

But all that is assuming the players each reach level 9. But even if they all only reached level 7, that is still only 3 cards left in the deck, and if you have 3 monasteries out, that is 6 cards you need visible.

So, yes, it can happen. I would say the offer should get replenished first but I haven't checked the rules. This has never happened to me. People should burn down monasteries more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was cooperative. As I said, though, one player drew a card in round 1 that let him trade out for an advanced action, so he got his normal amount from leveling up, but also had 5 or 6 more from that advanced action card's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.