Jordan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would say I'm primarily a video gamer. It's not so much that any one thing is better than the other, but more the fact that video games are far easier to play alone, primarily when my wife isn't in a gaming mood.

EDIT: Oh, and I hear you on the vg ink. lol. I've got Link on my left forearm and intend to turn it into an entire LoZ sleeve someday, along with an Earthbound sleeve on my right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started video gaming when I was about 11 years and have kept it up in fits and starts over the last 25 years. However, in the last few years I've had much less time to play games, what with working and coming home tired etc.

Weeks can pass by now without me playing a video game. I'm mostly a fan on Nintendo stuff but I still play pc games sometimes.

At the moment I am much more interested in board gaming and if I had to choose between the two, and give one up forever, I would choose to give up video games. I think board games give me more pleasure and don't need upgraded and are never obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming in general, though I don't play many video games. I tend to like a very specific type of video game: online team-based shooters. I play online combat flight sims with a persistent MMO-like world, and games like Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield... I do not play "traditional" MMOs or RPGs (but I am getting into solitaire RPG-style board games, go figure) and I despise RTS games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never liked sports. I've never cared for dexterity games. I don't care for party games (I'd rather be a wallflower). I don't think I'd care for RPGs either (my brief experience with one suggests I wouldn't).

I have mixed feelings about video games. I generally dislike real-time games (on rare occasions I'll play one as a change of pace). I like some turn-based computer games, including traditional board games played on a computer. But I'm not interested in playing games online with others; for me, computer games are only for single-player gaming.

I also like some kinds of board games more than others.

So, I guess I'm pretty fussy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all gaming. Do board games, RPGs, and video games all regularly. Like almost all genres/mechanics for all three groups as well; though most of my video gaming is on the PC and the XBOX 360 spends most of its time as a Netflix streamer (only game I play on it is Forza Motorsport 4).

Use to do sports a lot more but I was really sick a few years back and lost most of my athleticism with my muscle mass, haven't put forth the effort to fully get it back yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...

I'll start by saying I like games in general.

However I was never a big fan of sports. I'm good enough, but I've always been on the short side & that means often at a disadvantage. So it never hooked me.

Video games really weren't around much when I was a kid. We'd go to the arcade & play pinball, in college there was asteroids and then more video games started to appear. However the hand held stuff my son grew up with and the systems he'd hook to the TV never really captured me. Video games always seemed to feel like dumbed down versions of the higher quality computer games.

So when I talk about gaming in general I'd be thinking; board games, role-playing games, card games, & computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Canning
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a pretty hardcore video gamer since I was a kid. As I grew older and Real Life(tm) started taking more and more of my free time, I started becoming more of a casual video gamer. In college I started getting into board games and really enjoyed it. Now, at age 31, I find that I'm playing more board games than video games. I could still spend hours and hours playing video games; I just don't have the time. With board games, I can take a night each week or two nights a month and block out that time specifically for a board game night with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gaming in general. Board Games are preferred when I can get groups of friends together. And video games when solo and friends are away, but available for online play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Just boardgames here, but this includes card games as well. I play football (soccer), but I consider the two hobbies completely separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here for the boardgames, which are what truly interest me. I have subscriptions to a great many board games I'm interested in, but more and more frequently I get notifications for new threads that turn out to be about software implementations. I thought the creation of VGG would solve that problem, but apparently not. If it continues to increase, it will eventually drive me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Sphere wrote:
I came here for the boardgames, which are what truly interest me. I have subscriptions to a great many board games I'm interested in, but more and more frequently I get notifications for new threads that turn out to be about software implementations. I thought the creation of VGG would solve that problem, but apparently not. If it continues to increase, it will eventually drive me away.

What we need is to be able to have a blanket subscribe to only a particular folder for games we like. For example, I'd like to be subscribed to the "General" folder for all my subscribed games, but not to "Variants". Same for the (should-exist) "Derivative Implementations" folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
What we need is to be able to have a blanket subscribe to only a particular folder for games we like. For example, I'd like to be subscribed to the "General" folder for all my subscribed games, but not to "Variants". Same for the (should-exist) "Derivative Implementations" folder.

That would be great - especially if they added folders for software implentations and card sleeves. If I could filter those out, I'd be a happy camper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like gaming in general. I'm more of a team player so games in any form that have co-op or team I tend to lean more in favor of playing. I started off more of a video gamer but if given the equal time and players I would probably play board games just a little bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I ran the gaming club at my college, I tried to have events for what I considered the five pillars of gaming: board/card, tabletop RPG, computer, console, and other. (I primarily split up video games into console vs. computer because of the considerations for getting people together to play them) I still play all five regularly- my current source of "other" is the puzzlehunt community which is pretty active around Seattle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be huge on Videogames, but have played them seldomly since I got into Board Games.

I like games in general. Toys, puzzles (not jigsaw, just mind puzzles), rpgs an similar activities, but this past year and a half I have almost exclusively devoted to board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in on anything competitive. Games sports video games fantasy football and baseball... all of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, I love all forms of games except for video games. Not that I don't like video games, it's just that I haven't found a fulfilling experience that is worth my time. But I love sports of all types. Football, bowling, darts, extreme sweeping. And I love Role Playing games. I'm even a mean pub quizzer...I guess any type of interpersonal direct human interaction gaming is what I like. And most forms of gaming cover that, except video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games are Poker, Skyrim, D&D, Twilight Struggle, Portal, Savage Worlds, Mass Effect, Tichu and Hockey. I think I'm just a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.