12 Posts

Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS dertemination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skanvak Drakken
msg tools
mbmbmb
When I read the rule, it seem that you have to trace the LOS with a ruler and see if it cross the silouhette of the blocking/degrading terrain. This can be tiedous (especially for the little tre from a forest crossing some border hex border (there fore blocking LOS) and not other.

Is this correct because my partner an me find this process tiedous and subject to controversy. We would prefer a system fully based on hex (the terrain fill the whole hex, with a clarification for LOS going exactly along a hexside).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanvak wrote:
When I read the rule, it seem that you have to trace the LOS with a ruler and see if it cross the silouhette of the blocking/degrading terrain.
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Using a thread is better than a rule, most of the time. But, yes, that's correct. Most of the time it's pretty evident whether the LOS is blocked or not. Going to "whole hex" will change some of the longer sight-lines, though, which can really affect some scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Skanvak wrote:
When I read the rule, it seem that you have to trace the LOS with a ruler and see if it cross the silouhette of the blocking/degrading terrain. This can be tiedous (especially for the little tre from a forest crossing some border hex border (there fore blocking LOS) and not other.

Is this correct because my partner an me find this process tiedous and subject to controversy. We would prefer a system fully based on hex (the terrain fill the whole hex, with a clarification for LOS going exactly along a hexside).

should be no controversy. Either it touches the terrain art or not.
Be reasonable. If you cant roll a die even=blocked Odds equals = not blocked.
Its a fun game. Dont make it more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skanvak Drakken
msg tools
mbmbmb
We are people that won't solve question with a die roll, period.

So we like clear things.

I wonder if going to whole hex will really impact the game that much? The map has been think over that much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not be the game for you. The competition is meant to be between the forces on the map, not between the players around the table. If you can't agree on a LoS ruling, you won't get far here. Changing to hex terrain will significantly change some - although not many - scenarios, and will make a big difference in chances to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the shadow of a steel rule... I have a lamp directly over the game table that casts a nice sharp shadow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Kev...if it's not clear (and 99.99% of the time it will be), roll a die if players can't agree. Odd (to me, at least), one would arbitrarily change a fundamental rule of the game vs. rolling a die to resolve a LOS question... You're playing it, so it's your call in the end if it's not to your liking.

hipshot wrote:
Skanvak wrote:

should be no controversy. Either it touches the terrain art or not.
Be reasonable. If you cant roll a die even=blocked Odds equals = not blocked.
Its a fun game. Dont make it more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skanvak Drakken
msg tools
mbmbmb
at least my opponent is not that big.

WEll, this not squad leader where you decide fire before checking if you have LOS.

May be someone can make a computer program to check the los in all case. Alternatively, border hex that block (or don't block LOS when trace exactly over them should be color coded). Some forest hex have only a few leaves crossing the hex border and would there fore be blocking, an the other hand with wheat field when adjacent, sometime it is obvious they link and block LOS other time it look like there is a narrow path between them and that the LOS would not be blocked.

That lead me to the question of the house counter (that fill the hex => inconsistency for gameplay reason) and wreck (you count them only when the unit is in the hex of the wreck, correct? they don't degrade)

Though thanks for all the techniqual answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanvak wrote:
We are people that won't solve question with a die roll, period.

At first glance, that sounded unreasonable. Then, I considered I never resolve questions with a die roll. Reasonable is to agree, a die roll is unreasonable.

Use a dang string. Call it "The Line of Death." Err on the side of the guys who would be cowering behind any available terrain. That's reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.