Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Year, Evan posted a thread about his Pimped Out Macao components and I immediately knew that I wanted some of my own. After quite a bit of crafting (with a large dose of help from my mom) I have my setup mostly completed. I have to admin that Evan's setup is better than mine, but I am nonetheless happy with the effort.

The main attraction is the player trays. The local craft store had 9" wide wooden trays for $3 each. We used a dremel to carve slots in the side, which allowed us to drop wooden dowels in to the edges, creating the "tic tac toe" board. We then covered/sealed the slots using some wood putty. I know, its eight slots instead of seven, but it still works. Originally I was planning on painting over so you wouldn't see the putty, but I like the natural wood look. Sadly, since both the box and my trays are exactly 9" wide, I cannot store the trays in the box.

The windrose dials are some basic wood chips with dresser drawer knobs held in by a screw. The toothpick serves as an arrow pointing to the currently active spot. My FLGS ordered a tube of 50 mini dice which were glued on for the numbers.

I really liked Evan's idea of using (what look like) Puerto Rico barrels in place of the city quarter markers. Again, my FLGS has generic cubes in stock. The white and yellow are as purchased. The orange cubes were originally red and the brown cubes were naked. I repainted the boats an score tokens to match. Unfortunately the orange paint required several coats and you can see where the paint "caked up" in a few spots, but when you're playing, you hardly notice. (Since the cubes rise off the board higher than the chits that come with the game, placing and removing them is much faster/easier than using what comes with it.)

The original dice that came with the game started showing wear fairly quickly after purchase, even to the point where the paint was coming off. I bought some 50 cent replacements from the game store's miscellaneous bin. The dice tower is also custom made from wood slats, dowels, and a similar but smaller tray as the one used for the cube trays.

The gold coins are the generic yellow tokens you can buy from FF, as are the red tokens which are used to represent penalty markers. The last "upgrade" I have planned for the game is to go to a store that sell dollhouse accessories and see if I can buy appropriate replacement tokens for the goods markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Logged on to BGGmod to see your images, and that's pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.