Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got MoM and we've played it once, so I may be putting the cart before the horse, but I'm curious about the expansions because I think we'll definitely play through the included scenarios and want more.

I know that due to the variability of the printing they include the replacement cards also. But do the expansions also include cards that you might want to put into your general decks, like the clue, lock and obstacle cards you may want to put into home-made scenarios?

If so, is the difference in printing going to make it a problem to mix them in, especially if you have multiple PoD expansions and want to use the cards from different ones?

I guess my question is whether these expansions need to be played as stand-alone/self-contained scenarios and not mixed together for more varied use, or if the cards are "close enough" that as long as no one is trying to cheat they won't appear obviously "marked".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
The POD scenarios actually came with copies of previously released cards. Even the famous Nothing of Interest cards. This was done so you didn't have to mix them, and there were no print variation problems.

It is also nice to have all cards, for the scenario, already selected out.

Edit: Didn't answer your question, at all, did I? There may he small print differences, but not enough that you shouldn't be able to use them in home-brew scenarios. And yes, the PODs have very interesting new exploration, lock, and obstacles; not in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my copies of the PoD's I clearly see some differences (saturation, hue) that allow me to instantly separate them from the original game. If you would like to mix them and rule out cheating, you'll have to use non transparent deck protectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Looking at my copies of the PoD's I clearly see some differences (saturation, hue) that allow me to instantly separate them from the original game. If you would like to mix them and rule out cheating, you'll have to use non transparent deck protectors.

Do you know if the FFG card sleeves are transparent on both sides? I assume they are, but I haven't looked. It seems like it would be hard to play a game like MoM where there are so many cards you have to distinguish by their backs if you couldn't see them.

I suppose if you mainly wanted to use the new lock and obstacle cards then the best way might be to also use the exploration markers method found elsewhere on BGG. That way you could have all the stacks off to the side near the keeper where the players couldn't examine them closely enough to tell the difference.

The PoD idea is a good one that I'm happy to see FFG trying out, because you know they can release more expansions than they would otherwise. It's just too bad that the nature of physical printing can't be perfectly consistent across time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Elizarov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the exploration cards from POD expansions do have a slightly differently colored backs, I think it won't be a problem at all to use them for home-made scenarios.

You'll definitely need to design new clues for such scenarios and probably some locks/obstacles as well, but item cards from expansions can be used easily.

Yes, your players may see that some cards on the table are from expansions, but those cards won't necessarily be "cool" cards. You can easily be using a "Whiskey" card from the expansion or a "Nothing of Interest"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got FFG's card sleeves ad yes, they are transparent :/
But, another idea. Card sleeve is big enough to keep two mini cards. Just tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Elizarov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
But, another idea. Card sleeve is big enough to keep two mini cards. Just tested.

Jarek, this will solve the issue of different card backs, but might create some unnecessary complexities. The keeper will have to sleeve all the exploration cards and put two cards in every sleeve, otherwise players will still be able to tell the difference.

Such approach definitely works in some cases. For example, if you create your own clue cards for a scenario and want to mix them up with already printed cards. But if the goal is to simply bring certain items from POD expansions, then sleeving everything and creating thick stacks of cards might not be worth it.

For own scenarios, I think, the most elegant way would be printing every exploration card a-la a POD expansion (including "Nothing of Interest" and all the staples from the original game) . Provided you have access to a nice color printer, of course.

This way every card will look the same and the players will have great time investigating the mansion without thinking too much about card backs or two cards in every sleeve. And the keeper won't need to spend too much time sleeving cards for one scenario and "re-sleeving" them for the next...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
I suppose if you mainly wanted to use the new lock and obstacle cards then the best way might be to also use the exploration markers method found elsewhere on BGG. That way you could have all the stacks off to the side near the keeper where the players couldn't examine them closely enough to tell the difference.

Back in the old days of RPGs, us gamemasters indeed would make up whatever we felt like write down in the adventure the contents of the rooms.

Y'know, before cards were invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Back in the old days of RPGs, us gamemasters indeed would make up whatever we felt like write down in the adventure the contents of the rooms.

Y'know, before cards were invented.

Yeah, back before we got married and bought houses, when we had time to spend hours and hours creating grand adventures...

I'm sure that some ideas for games like Ravenloft and MoM come from former RPGers who don't have as much time but still want their fix.

Anyway, we played scenario 2 tonight and had a blast. As keeper I came close to crushing the investigators with my two shoggoth, etc. But literally on the last possible turn they got a lucky card draw and when the cultist pulled an attack card that allowed the player carrying Marie to move an extra space, he made it out the door unscathed instead of having to evade the Shoggoth.

Of course one of the four investigators was dead, another was hopelessly insane, and a third was left behind hobbling on a broken leg, most likely doomed to being devoured, so I felt I did my job to keep things interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
cultist pulled an attack card that allowed the player carrying Marie to move an extra space, he made it out the door unscathed instead of having to evade the Shoggoth.

your investigator would still need to make an evade check against any other monsters in their space if they chose to move. this has been cleared up officially somewhere, sorry I don't have a link to it. that is, assuming, that the shoggoth was in the same space as the cultist who attacked...I may be jumping to conclusions...either way, sounds like you had a great game.

as far as the OP, I have all three POD expansions, and yes there is a slight print variation, mainly the cards are a bit darker, I think you would have no issues for a couple of reasons...

one, no one will know what the cards are, the POD expansions contain cards ranging from common items, to very unique items, to nothing of interest...so just knowing the card came from a POD would not offer any clues as to what might be on the other side.

and two, holding the cards side by side in your hand, its easy to tell which one came from an expansion. but, when you lay the cards out on the gameboard, there are a lot of colors and details everywhere, and the cards are not lying side by side, so call it a trick of the eyes, but in the right light, an investigator might have a hard time discerning the difference.

I'd say go for it, I love how many creative ideas people have come up with for this game, from total revamping of current scenarios to home brewed scenarios, they are all great, and another addition would be very welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:

your investigator would still need to make an evade check against any other monsters in their space if they chose to move. this has been cleared up officially somewhere, sorry I don't have a link to it.

Hmm.. now that you mention it I think you are probably right. The card said something like "PASS: You push him to the ground and take no damage and you may move one space."

So even though the card says he can move, if he's in the space with any monsters (including the cultist that attacked him) he'd have to evade.

In the end it wouldn't have mattered though because he had enough health to take full damage from both the shoggoth and the cultist without dying, and the only trauma card I had wouldn't have stopped him.

Thanks for the reminder though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.