United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to vent. Someone stole my iPad from my hotel room. Also got my work computer (MacBook Air). And the power cable and two charging cords. They didn't touch anything else. Not even the laptop bag or the little padded iPad case.

I'm really frustrated because I thought I had activated the "Find my iPad" feature but apparently I hadn't, or it got deactivated when I had to restore the iPad to an older save point. I also did not have the tracking activated on the computer, because I hadn't upgraded to OS X Lion on the recommendation of the NASA IT people. (I work for a NASA contractor.) So I am saying this to make sure you have the tracking features of your computers, phones, etc. activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That really sucks. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake "...it ain't ME! it ain't M-E-! I ain'ts NO Apple 'fan~b~o~i' NO!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replace it in Delaware - home of tax free shopping! (Hey, it's about the only thing we've got going)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain..

My FIL had his digital camera stolen from a hotel room once. However he did say (after travelling abroad for 5+ years) being in so many hotels, that he was lucky that was all he got stolen. He did the whole police report thing, and there had been other "stolen items" in that hotel, but nothing more came of it (obviously some staff has sticky fingers).

A friend of ours was at a hotel and came up to their room to find a strange man on their balcony, she freaked, the guy ran, and her husband chased him, but some how he got away. I don't think he got anything because this was the one and only time they decided to use the room's safe.

On a similar note, I worked with a lady who came from Newfoundland to Toronto to work with her husband. (many years ago) she said that when they first arrived, it was in the middle of the night, and they picked the first motel they could find because they were dead tired. Their room had a fridge and a small kitchenette, but they just went straight to sleep as it was 2 or 3am.

A couple hours later, their door opens up, and some guy wanders in and opens the fridge looking for food. Her husband leapt from the bed and chased the guy out ready to give him a beating. The guy took off and they gathered their things and left. By then it was early morning and they realised they picked the sleaziest, most run down motel in the most run down part of Toronto.... lol

At any rate... my Ipad had the tracker software activated already, and I installed "prey" in my windows laptop incase that happens to me

http://preyproject.com/

(note: I see prey is available for mac's androids and IOS.. will have to install the app on my ipad, can never be too safe )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Was your hotel room broken into? Or was it the maid?

If it was the latter, I am sympathetic but I even at 23 know not to leave anything expensive in the hotel room. My electronics all come with me right when I leave. Theres no proof I had them, and theres no proof the staff took them. Sometimes that means me wearing a backpack with them but its worth it to not have them taken. Never leave cash, or expensive items in your room, even if your just going for ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Key log showed nobody but the maid had entered, but the door did not always close properly, so it may have been cracked open and somebody noticed and went in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, you work for NASA ? it was the russkies !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry dude.

For the future think about installing Prey http://preyproject.com/
I have heard many good things about its abilities.

Edit: sorry I responded before I read. Gatekeeper3000 had already given the sage advise of Prey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotel safes are not really safe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLxiIBLvpA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.