Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Hey all.

Situation:

A (US and German unit)
B
C (US Bazooka, A VOF MG)

The Bazooka and MG move from C to B. According to 6.1 the MG won't open fire on A, since units will not automatically open fire on mutually occupied cards. Since G! units (as per Ben's earlier ruling) are free to ignore this restriction, the bazooka attempts a ranged G! attack at the German unit on A.

Question: does the attempt from the bazooka override the 6.1 restriction for other units, and trigger the MG to open-fire on A, even though it is mutually occupied? The rules make no mention of any such exception to 6.1, but it seems odd that other units on the same card would hold its fire after the bazooka blasts away.

BTW, I know the rules say all occupants of a card fire along the same PDF, but since G! units don't place PDFs, I don't think that rule applies here.

How would others play this?

Thanks,

RG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Question: does the attempt from the bazooka override the 6.1 restriction for other units, and trigger the MG to open-fire on A, even though it is mutually occupied?

No, the G! attack undertaken as an order not an automatic action which presumes the ordering entity has taken the risk into account and the bazooka is a more precise weapon.

Thanks
Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Thank, Ben. That's a very clear explanation. Follow up:

I posted on CSW while you were gone asking if one could Shift Fire to a mutually occupied card. John Alsen said he didn't think so. That sounded right to me. Can we consider that official?

Finally, what about artillery strikes and indirect mortar fire onto mutually occupied cards? Those both require an ordering entity which has similarly taken the risk into account, yet neither of those involve the kind precision weaponry you're describing (in fact, they're just the opposite). I'm assuming no sane FO or HQ ever calls down fire on a location he knows to be occupied by friendly troops, correct? The only exception I could see would be if the FO or HQ were calling fire down on his own card out of sheer desperation (and at least he's sharing in the risk!).

Thanks,

RG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-posting Ben's reply on CSW (Ben Hull - Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm (#4874)):

Quote:
1. Can units be given a command to Shift Fire onto a mutually occupied card? I asked this earlier here when you were gone, and John Alsen said he didn't think so; that the same prohibition on auto-opening fire on such cards would apply to shift fire. Sounds right. Is that official?

No, you can shift fire onto your own people, you just do not automatically fire on them. There are sound reasons to so, e.g. your men are in fortifications and the enemy is trying to overrun them.

2. Can Artillery and Air strikes, or calls for indirect mortar fire, be directed at mutually occupied cards? Those fires are commanded rather than automatic, but they sure don't meet the precise weapon standard you mentioned in your BGG response. My guess is no sane FO or HQ would call for fire on another location known to contain friendly troops.

Yes

3. Variation on #2: can an FO or HQ calling for fire on a card he, himself, occupies? I could imagine it happening out of desperation (and have read about such incidents, although I assume they are the great exception), and at least in that case, the ordering entity is sharing the risks. But in game terms, is that simply too improbable to be an option?

Certainly, not uncommon for the same reason that you would shift fire onto one of your own positions. Exposed enemy overrunning your fortifications are more vulnerable than your own men hunkered down.

To "coax" other units (squads, MG teams, etc.) to fire on mutually occupied cards, you might allow shift fire or perhaps concentrate fire action to enable it, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.