Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Games Night 27/01/2012 - Mega Games Penrith rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Stamatakis
Australia
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone,

Last night was the 1st board games night for 2012. It was a good start to the year and fun had by all. These are the games that were played last night:-

Qwirkle
This is a tile laying game where you have 6 different colour tiles as well as 6 different types of shapes. There are 3 of every type of tile making a total of 108 tiles. The idea is to string together the tiles on the board (no more than 6 in a row) to try and get maximum points. If you can for example get 6 different colour circles in the row you get 6 points for this row plus an additional 6 points for this feat (Qwirkle). You have to think strategically through the game though as the piece(s) you place may end up helping your opponents.

This would be good for kids with autism as it teaches them colours, shapes and turn taking. The strategy behind the game may be a bit abstract to them though.

Fact Or Crap
This is an OK game but not one I would be rushing out to buy. I see this as a good filler game but not one I could sit down and play for hours. Each turn someone reads out 3 statements from a card and you have to vote if you think the statement is fact or crap. If you get it right you get an additional token or if wrong you lose a token. The person with the most tokens at the end of the game wins.

Cartagena 2
Love this version of the game. This version adds 2 extra features of having a 2nd island as well as a boat that you have to try and control to get your pieces to the pirate cove. You have to balance moving your pieces forward to get to the finish, controlling the boat and also moving your opponents forward in order to get more cards. With all this happening you can have a close race to finish which ended up happening last night.

Carcassone
Very good tile laying game. Each turn a player places a tile on the table forming up the board as the game progresses. The player has an option of putting one of their pieces(Meeples) on the tile they just placed to try and get points. They can be on roads (Robber), On Cities (Knights), On cloisters (Priests) and on grass (Farmers). Some placements will get you quick points at the beginning of the game and others will get you points at the end of the game. Even if you end up leading for most of the game the big points can come right at the end and turn the game around.

I would recommend this for kids with autism. This would teach them a structured way of looking at a game. I would start with just tile laying to get them accustomed to proper use of the tiles and then I would slowly introduce the use of the meeples (No Farmers) until they understood the concept.

It was good to see the usual crew there last night and I will see you there in 2 weeks.

Regards
The Blonde Sheep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.