11 Posts

Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Re-arranging property cards seems to break the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evert Chin
msg tools
How does the re-arranging cards work?

As i read from the official faq, i can re-arrange my property cards during my turn and doesn't cost any actions.

Does it means that I can...

Scenario 1:
Given that i have blue, red rent cards, 1 multi-colored wildcard property card, 2 blue property and 2 red property.

multicolored Wildcard, blue & red property is already on the desk.
During my turn, can i re-arrange a multi-colored wildcard to an collect rent with a blue set, and then re-arrange the multi-colored to collect rent with red set and then split the red set to avoid deal breaker?

Scenario 2:
I have 2 set of property cards (red & blue).
The blue set have house & hotel.
Can I move the house and hotel to red? it says Action Card on hotel & house.
Can I detach the hotel & house and leave it 'floating'?

if the above scenarios are valid, i think deal breaker is useless unless. Also, it seems stupid to attach houses and hotels to property set if i can just leave them detached.

The rule to allow re-arranging property cards without costing any actions seems way too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just allow one re-arrange at the end of the turn to stop some of this from happening... but that is a variant. You're certainly right on the first example based on the core rules.

I don't think you can have houses and hotels just "floating in space" but I'm not an expert on the FAQ (we turn them into money in the event there is no complete set around to attach them too).

Lastly... I don't think the Deal Breaker becomes useless in your example. There are a lot more cards that let you steal one card that is not part of a completed set... by breaking up your sets to avoid the deal breaker you are leaving yourself vulnerable to Forced Deals and Sly Deals to break up your "finished" sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evert Chin
msg tools
Yes, you're right about the vulnerability of the trick. Yet losing one property card is still better than losing one set of property cards given that both cost only one action. Also, It is highly unlikely to lose whole set at once with sly deal and force deal. if your opponent really want to do so... they need at least 2 actions to steal/swap blue set, 3 actions to steal/swap a red set, 4 actions to steal/swap black set. And, consider that the player who played deal breaker card have much higher chance to win the game. The re-arranging rule gave players almost no reason not to split the sets before ending their turn.

I played about 10 games with the rules above.
I have no chance to use Deal Breaker cards at all.
All players just split the sets before ending their turn.
Houses and hotels became a burden, no body want to build them anymore.
With more than 10 games, player just bank deal breakers, hotels, houses in to their cash pile.

Your 'house rule'to play the game have the same 'exploit' (players will just split the cards before ending their turn, making deal breaker useless) as mine except i can re-arrange my cards unlimited times during my turn without any specific limitations.

Edit:
Quote:

Q - CAN I REARRANGE MY PROPERTY CARDS DURING MY TURN?
A - Yes, you can. But only on your turn. Moving a Property card around between sets does not count as one of the three cards you can lay on each turn.

PROPERTY WILDCARDS
Q - CAN I MOVE PROPERTY WILDCARDS AROUND BETWEEN SETS?
A - Yes, you can move wildcards and Property cards around as much as you like amongst the sets, but ONLY during your turn.

I just checked the faq again, it seems that the second answer hinted that you can move the property cards any time you want during your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can un-break the game by having each move cost an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to move around properties at will does not necessaily mean you can unbreak any/every set at will. I'm not laying any claim as to what the official rules are, nor how you should play in your game, but in my mind, it's illogical that you can have multiple groups of one color in play at the same time (i.e., a Boardwalk blue group, and a Park Place blue group). So, while I might play the game such that I am allowed to unattach a Red/Yellow wild from my 2 red cards to make a stnadlaone-yellow set whenever I want during my turn, I would not similarly allow un-attaching an orange from two other oranges to make a second orange group.

I'm curious if my interpreation is a widely accepted one. As near as I can tell, this idea is not directly addressed in the FAQ. Playing the game the way I suggest would have a large impact on strategy as it encourages you to hold that last orange in your hand until such a time that you are ready to "combo out" with a rent card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Daniel- You and I think alike. If you had 3 cards in a red set and a lone extra red card then you could break the set and make two, 2 card red groups.

Wild cards are a bit different. You can flip it between its two colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you both, it even says it in the Hasbro FAQ:

http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/en_US/discover/faq.cfm

However, I think it does add a chaotic element. Actually I don't think that re-arranging single-coloured properties is such a good idea. But I'm totally cool with re-arranging wild cards though. YMMV :whistle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I was playing and I start thinking the same things you are thinking...
"I should split the complete sets to avoid the deal breaker card"
"At the beginning of my turn I should join the splitted group to get more rent"

It's a strange rule! I don't think it's honest to play like that!
I think that I should pay something for doing this! One action turn for example!

I think that I will add this as an "house rule"....just so that players have to think twice before splitting everything at the end of their turn.

Maybe something like:
You can move your cards as much you want but it will cost you one action.
If you move one or more cards, if you flip one or more cards, if you split or join one or more cards it will cost you one action!

If you move something, play a cards, and then move again something you have spent 3 action! One for moving cards, one for playing a card, one for moving cards again.
What I means is that playgin a card interrupt your "move something phase" and so if you want to move something again you have to pay an action again.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the header "Put Down Properties into you own collection," the first rules states: "Lay property cards down in front of you to build up your property sets"

So you lay down property cards to "build up" sets, not create new sets of the same color. I read this to mean that if I have a red set, I cannot start a new red set, but I must "build up" the set I already have when I lay down property cards.

So here's how I would suggest the game is played:
If I have two red property cards on the table, they must be in the same set. If I have a 3rd card which is wild (red and yellow), I could play it with my other two red cards to create a full set (and thus protect myself from a Sly Deal Card), or I could play it by itself as a new yellow set (and thus protect the red cards from a Deal Breaker Card). Then in a later turn, I could move it back to the red set (for no actions) in order to win the game.

Note that if I have played two red property cards and two yellow property cards and I want to play a wild card (red and yellow). I would need to either play it on the red set or on the yellow set. I could NOT start a new set since cards are laid down in front of you to "build up" property sets.

If you disagree with this interpretation, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Soldati
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the italian version but the translation says the same thing. To put cards on the table to build sets.

It seems a good observation to me! A player shouldn't be able to start another set is the first one of the same color is not complete....I like it.
When I put a card on the table I have to complete a set if I can. Ok.

But....what about cards that are already on the table? Can I do whatever I want to them in my turn? Also splitting them ad much as I want?

I'm still confused also on houses and hotels when a set is splitted...from a logical point of view if I split a complete set the house and hotel should be destroyed...I don't like the idea that they can float on the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe FakeName
msg tools
mb
You can also choose to add a rule to prevent moving wildcards on a set that a rent card has been played on- for the remainder of that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.