Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on which game best simulates airborne operations? I'm interested in the tactical level but any game that depicts paratrooper ops is of interest.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I certainly cannot recommend The Devil's Cauldron.

Highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Well, I certainly cannot recommend The Devil's Cauldron. Highly enough.

+1

+ Where Eagles Dare
+ Sicily: Triumph and Folly
+ Hunters from the Sky

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Well, I certainly cannot recommend The Devil's Cauldron.

Highly enough.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision." -- Winston S. Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
An oldie but goodie is Highway to the Reich (first and second editions) by VG. I understand there's a newer edition, although I'm not familiar with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
An oldie but goodie is Highway to the Reich (first and second editions) by VG. I understand there's a newer edition, although I'm not familiar with it.

Actually, the VG game was Hell's Highway, a two-mapper covering the entire battle. The new edition of Highway to the Reich is by DG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision." -- Winston S. Churchill
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
jpr755 wrote:

Actually, the VG game was Hell's Highway, a two-mapper covering the entire battle. The new edition of Highway to the Reich is by DG.

You are correct Sir. Senior moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

Immo, HtR stands between TDC+WED and the not yet arrived It Never Snows, speaking of level ...

HtR, new edition, is very good, among the other things!!

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion to The Killing Ground, Overlord: D-Day and the Beachhead Battles. The best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
zuludawn wrote:
jpr755 wrote:

and the original DG game was by SPI.it is very large and and detailed enough to be tactical and large enough to be operational with several scenarios and a long campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might recommend a few titles from the squad level ATS system;
ATS: So Full of Fire which covers elements of the 101st Airborne at Brecourt Manor. It's not a stand alone game and would require a ATS base game to play.

There is also an ATS base game, which is stand alone, Advanced Tobruk System Basic Game 1a: Screaming Eagles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
If simulating the actual drops aren't that important--you are interested in ground operations as well--there's also Screaming Eagles in Holland, depicting the fighting around Veghel in even more detail than Where Eagles Dare.

I'd definitely second the votes for the MMP games but also second that the DG Highway to the Reich (third edition) is a lot better. Like Where Eagles Dare, you get the PIR colonels!

Regarding the Crete operation, I'd stay away from the old SPI Descent on Crete--too many problems with it. I must confess a love for Air Assault On Crete/Invasion of Malta: 1942 but Operation Mercury is perhaps a more comprehensive simulation. On the tactical level, you've already heard about Hunters from the Sky, but if you play ASL, I'd also recommend Kreta: Operation Merkur which has simply incredible maps.

A little known operation involve an German airborne attack late in the war is covered by the game Leros; definitely worth checking out!

On the Russian Front, there's Red Parachutes: Soviet Airborne Assault Across the Dnepr and the older Kanev: Parachutes Across the Dnepr, September 23-26, 1943 covering the same subject. A bit more operational-level rather than tactical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the beer and pretzel level, SPI's Paratroop is three small games on Eben Emael, Crete and Arnhem.

Also on the beer and pretzel level is MMP's freebie, Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges about Market-Garden.

On the tactical level, platoon size, Avalanche's Panzer Grenadier: Airborne is an introduction to Panzer Grenadier focusing on the US Paratroopers on D-Day. It doesn't show off PG's strength, but one scenario give reduced platoons the possibility of becoming full strength, due to stranglers finding their units.

On the squad level, in addition to ATS (I highly recommend Basic Game 1a), Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 has two American Airborne in Normandy scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know if it's the "best" simulation, but Fallschirmjaeger is a great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
The new edition of Highway to the Reich is by DG.

From memory, you need around 10 feet by 4 feet of table space fot this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which games do a good job simulating tactical combat jumps? I remember the Panzer Leader article in the General years ago that had some additional rules for simulating a combat jump. I was wondering what other games have interesting rules regarding deployment, drop zones, drift, landing etc.

Thanks!

Stink

RLTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Radey probably took the most sophisticated approach in Black Sea*Black Death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all 20th century ground –warfare tactical game systems are designed with or acquire a module of rules to deal with parachute and glider operations.

Good luck finding a copy, but the old (1976) Jagdpanther magazine game Airborne! has some of what you are looking for. Of course, that is the point of this game, and two of the game’s five pages of rules (the rest is taken up with scenarios and charts) are taken up with a rather complex Air Landing Module that encompasses pre-planning, aborts, aircraft navigation (which includes pilot quality, landmark recognition, and confusion factors), flak, and landing itself. Like any jumper, the player feels a certain sense of accomplishment and relief in having cardboard boots hit the paper ground!

There is also an eclectic selection of scenarios, including a hypothetical battle around Kuwaiti oil wells where no one is allowed to use firearms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember doing some kind of parachute drop using some module of the old Squad Leader system. What a nightmare! I'm sure ASL must be worse...

Am having a grand time playing The Devil's Cauldron. Very fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgtstinky wrote:
which games do a good job simulating tactical combat jumps? I remember the Panzer Leader article in the General years ago that had some additional rules for simulating a combat jump. I was wondering what other games have interesting rules regarding deployment, drop zones, drift, landing etc.

Thanks!

Stink

RLTW

The TCS series by The Gamers included those factors in Hunters From The Sky and Leros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:
sgtstinky wrote:

Thanks!

Stink

RLTW

The TCS series by The Gamers included those factors in Hunters From The Sky and Leros.

I do like the TCS games, I have a few of them but I do not have Hunters from the Sky or Leros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
eltorosailor wrote:

We've certainly enjoyed this one since its release!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.