Fola Tam
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For now three questions regarding Rebounds:

In the example for the rebounds it states that:

1)
"W5 cannot move because he cannot reach a favorable position" isn't position 1 a favorable position for W5? why not move there?

2)
"the rebound would go....to B5 on a roll of 5 and to either B4 or B5 on a 6".

Why would it go to B5 on a 5? both W4 and B5 are 1 space away. But according to the rules, if the ball is close to an attacker they retain possession. So on a roll of 5, shouldn't W4 retain the ball?

3)
If there are two or more players at equal distance from the ball, who gets the ball??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I edit the post for clarity, because there is a single answer to the three questions (I also leave the original three answers below). The attacker can get a rebound if he is closer to the ball. If the ball is at the same distance of attacker and defender, or closer to the defender, then the defender gets the ball.

It was clear from the start that the rebound had to be easier for the defender, and that moving first was not enough. Before I changed the rule to its final form, the attacker could try a very bad shot if his centers were close enough to the basket, and this did not seem fair (a few years ago you could shot from any hex on the board). So now you have to better construct your possession if you want to score (what I wanted), and you have still a chance to get the rebound if you fail, but should not count on that a lot.

Zoula wrote:
1) "W5 cannot move because he cannot reach a favorable position" isn't position 1 a favorable position for W5? why not move there?
It says "W5 does not move", he can, but at most he will reach the hex besides B4. Since the attacker needs the ball to fall on his player or be closer to him, this position does not allow him to get the ball (on a roll of 2 it would be at the same distance than B4, not closer).

Zoula wrote:
2) "the rebound would go....to B5 on a roll of 5 and to either B4 or B5 on a 6".

Why would it go to B5 on a 5? both W4 and B5 are 1 space away. But according to the rules, if the ball is close to an attacker they retain possession. So on a roll of 5, shouldn't W4 retain the ball?
No, if it is at the same distance of attacker and defender, the defender gets the ball. It has to be closer to the attacker for him to get it.

Zoula wrote:
3) If there are two or more players at equal distance from the ball, who gets the ball??
If they are all of the same team, any one, it doesn't matter (possession restarts). If there are attacker and defender players, one defender.

In the latest version I've seen from Nestor, the numbers around the hex are printed on the board, so it will be even easier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the proposed rules is what if the rebound takes him an attacking player can re-roll, leveraging its position near the basket?

Is there not the possibility of counterattack when the ball is stolen near midfield?.
Greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munny wrote:
In the proposed rules is what if the rebound takes him an attacking player can re-roll, leveraging its position near the basket?
In the original prototype things were more complex. After a center got the rebound, the other centers could try to steal the ball from him, if he was an attacker he could shot from his hex leading to an easy basket or block, or move out from the key... In the game as published, the team that gets the rebound re-starts possession, that's all. Other things are lost, but the design is simpler, and cleaner.

Munny wrote:
Is there not the possibility of counterattack when the ball is stolen near midfield?
Same here, when the board depicted the full court a steal near midfield could lead to a fast counterattack with an automatic layup/dunk. But counterattacks were a mess, they slowed down game-play and lead to weird situations, for example two against two, that could work when dice decided everything but were incompatible with the activation mechanism that I use now.

I would say that the game has lost some few things but has gained a lot more. Maybe in the future I'll think of an easy way to play full court...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miguel thank you very much for answering so fast. No doubt as you say in your post with these changes the game would be less agile, especially in the case of counterattack, perhaps for the only offensive rebound you could do is slow your game but it would be a little more real.
I've been thinking about changes for the offensive rebound to counterattack, but I will have to submit to test many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good afternoon Michael, I have new questions about the rebound:
The shooter (in case it is a pivot) can go for the rebound?
What happens when no can pivot with your movement to the area of five boxes to go to the basket for the rebound?
Fight for reborte means moving to the five boxes, but if one of these boxes have a player other than the pivot and the rebound falls into that box, the rebound is for him right?
thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munny wrote:
Good afternoon Michael, I have new questions about the rebound:
I'm not Michael, nor Michel, I'm Miguel!

Of course he can, once the shot has missed ALL centers can go for the rebound, except the one that moved to block. The exceptions are all specified in the rulebook, so as a general rule, if it is not explicitely forbidden then it is allowed.

Munny wrote:
What happens when no can pivot with your movement to the area of five boxes to go to the basket for the rebound?
Fight for reborte means moving to the five boxes, but if one of these boxes have a player other than the pivot and the rebound falls into that box, the rebound is for him right?
thank you very much
No, only centers can get the rebound (see their special ability). Nowhere it is said that they need to be on the 5 circles around the basket, so they don't need to. The attacker gets the rebound if one of his centers is closer to the ball than the denfender's centers, if not the rebound goes to the defender. Even if they are all many circles away! Just check who is closer, but only the centers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Rasal
Spain
Jaca
Aragon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
[q="Munny"]Good afternoon Michael, I have new questions about the rebound:
I'm not Michael, nor Michel, I'm Miguel!

Sorry, glups, Miguel.blush
The problem with using the google translate.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.