Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SCS [+] [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb

I was thinking how I liked playing Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege and so I must play it again. I will go to the full campaign.
Then I thought that I only know Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege and Stalingrad Pocket II.
Most of you had the knowledge about this and another SCS games from the Gamers/MMP, if you would like post from other publishers. I only put this ones because they are known to me.
Can you post anothers and what do you think about their mechanics/playability.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Drive on Paris, which I've played several times by email as well as solo. It gives a great feel for the 1914 campaign in France, with the Germans pouring through Belgium while the French are forced to conduct their offensive in Alsace-Lorraine.

Another title in the series I don't have, but have heard many good things about, is Fallschirmjäger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall
United States
Charles Town
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this will help!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39463/standard-combat-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Afrika (second edition) so I don't know how others compare, but I know for sure it is a great game by itself. It feels a bit like OCS light (very light) in higher scale, because it requires moving supply points around. It's OOP though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Afrika II and Yom Kippur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kinney
United States
Winthrop
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It Never Snows zombiezombiezombie I can't wait for this bad boy.

Afrika (second edition) and Ardennes are the favorites of the ones I've played.

I have also heard that Drive on Paris, Fallschirmjaeger and The Mighty Endeavor are all very good.

Did I miss any? Sorry I couldn't narrow it down for you more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three SCS games: Ardennes, The Mighty Endeavor and Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege. Of the three, Bastogne is the only one which I like -- but I like it very much; I think it's a great game. Ardennes is intriguing. It has the lowest linear counter density of any Bulge game in existence, and replicates some features which no other Bulge game replicates. Some day soon, I hope to write a review of this game. I would recommend it, however, only to Bulge afficionados.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So far I've enjoyed all the SCS games I've tried. I like some more than others and the ones at the top of my list would be Fallschirmjaeger, Afrika II, Stalingrad Pocket II and Crusader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Yom Kippur is excellent.
See AAR thingy here: Pictures of 2 games in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aries
Italy
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Don't stay here(!)
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say which SCS is better...but I can say which SCS is worse for me...

Operation Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are Ardennes, Afrika (second edition) (even if you can't find 2nd edition the 1st edition is very good too), and The Mighty Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Fallschirmjaeger, followed by Stalingrad Pocket (either edition) and probably Ardennes.

zuludawn wrote:
My favourite is Drive on Paris, which I've played several times by email as well as solo. It gives a great feel for the 1914 campaign in France,

Actually I thought it gives almost no feeling for the historical campaign with the exploitation capable "horse panzer" units, and the French being rewarded for killing units so the Tleilaxu can revive them for the northern half of the map where they are urgently needed. DoP is the only game I've ever seen on the 1914 campaign where cavalry can take and hold cities for victory purposes, leading to utterly ahistorical use instead of their historical purpose of scouting and flank protection. It's a great game but it's not WWI.

I suspect the reason why Operation Michael cops a lot of flak in such comparisons is that (unlike Drive on Paris) it is actually reasonably good at showing WWI paces of advance. (Of course it is also a different situation and scale.)

I always thought Yom Kippur is a great game for people who want to see what the 1973 war would have been like if it had been fought with hovertanks. Very colourful, too.

What is people's impression of Karelia '44? It seems like a situation that SCS would be well suited for (like Ardennes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed playing Afrika (second edition) , The Mighty Endeavor, and Stalingrad Pocket II. I started a game of Drive on Paris once, but was pretty disappointed with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:
Alberto wrote:
I can't say which SCS is better...but I can say which SCS is worse for me...

Operation Michael

:)

I didn't like it when I played FtF. But, I am really enjoying playing it on Vassal.

Was it because of counter density, "fidgetyness" or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt Stalingrad Pocket (first edition)establishes the series to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Personally I didn't like Karelia at all. It felt way too scripted for me and not particularly exciting. After the initial breaching of the line which is problematic itself, more on that later, the Soviets just try to rush their arty forward as fast as possible then the Finns withdraw to a new defensive line. If the Soviet over extend themselves, in theory the Finns can counter attack but really it is just a question of how long they are going to hang on to their defenses before withdrawing. They can wait for the bombardment and get mauled but in the process delay the Soviets or fall back more or less intact, rinse repeat etc..

It might be historical but not particularly thrilling, especially since the system is pretty barebone. Baltic Gap sort of plays the same way, but it was a blast. Here it just felt flavorless and scripted to me.

For the initial breaching of the Finnish fortified line, I don't get why the Soviets deploy first. It doesn't really make sense, because the Finns get to play some sort of cat and mouse game with the placement of their units, to get in a situation where they can get attacked by only a small portion of the Soviet forces. If the Soviets deployment is not optimal or if they get bad luck with their artillery barrage, you might as well restart because they are not going anywhere and won't reach their objectives. And the rate of advance for the Soviet reinforcements feels wrong too. It leads to ridiculous movement rates considering the time scale and distances involved.

I wouldn't recommend this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a majority of the SCS titles are out of print I would look at Yom Kippur. It is a steal at $20 in ziplock or for 8 bucks more you can get a box ($28) at the MMP website. Their website leaves a lot to be desired as they don't post a lot of details about any particular game (even the backside of the game box usually has more details than what MMP posts on their website). The game pretty much only has the campaign scenario (and some variants of the campaign) but it is a tense fight and a lot of fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the comments, Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
My favourite is Drive on Paris, which I've played several times by email as well as solo. It gives a great feel for the 1914 campaign in France, with the Germans pouring through Belgium while the French are forced to conduct their offensive in Alsace-Lorraine.

Another title in the series I don't have, but have heard many good things about, is Fallschirmjäger.

Isn´t that on getting to be reprinted in this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
Every SCS game I've played I've enjoyed, but I really like Ardennes. I've read that there's some sort of guaranteed way to have the Germans win, but we haven't figured it out yet. Fun game!

Can you compare the Ardennes from The Gamers with Ardennes '44 from GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackbones wrote:

Definitely help. Thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakinney wrote:
It Never Snows zombiezombiezombie I can't wait for this bad boy.

Afrika (second edition) and Ardennes are the favorites of the ones I've played.

I have also heard that Drive on Paris, Fallschirmjaeger and The Mighty Endeavor are all very good.

Did I miss any? Sorry I couldn't narrow it down for you more.

yes, the Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege, Stalingrad Pocket II and The Mighty Endeavor. Do you know that ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
I've only played Afrika (second edition) so I don't know how others compare, but I know for sure it is a great game by itself. It feels a bit like OCS light (very light) in higher scale, because it requires moving supply points around. It's OOP though.

That game deserves a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sassypickle wrote:
I've always enjoyed a good game of Stalingrad Pocket II, though I do think it's a bit flawed a simulation. Still a good game.

For FTF gaming, Yom Kippur was a surprisingly fun experience.

I must try Yom Kippur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I've played three SCS games: Ardennes, The Mighty Endeavor and Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege. Of the three, Bastogne is the only one which I like -- but I like it very much; I think it's a great game. Ardennes is intriguing. It has the lowest linear counter density of any Bulge game in existence, and replicates some features which no other Bulge game replicates. Some day soon, I hope to write a review of this game. I would recommend it, however, only to Bulge afficionados.

How about The Mighty Endeavor? What do you say about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.