Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got a nice set printed out and assembled, read the rules twice, played twice, and of course I have a few questions to toss out there. I am loving this system, it could be the end of my quest for a fun WW2 squad level game.

#1 Is there an FAQ anywhere? We should probably start one.

#2 Is there an official scale, or is it fuzzy-scaled? It seems pretty similar to Squad Leader at 40 meters to the hex and two minutes to the turn.

#3 Can you use enemy support weapons? SWs are destroyed when a squad is eliminated, but if a SW is left behind for some other reason should you leave the counter on the map for recovery or capture?

#4 Does "unit" mean "squad or half squad" in all cases?

#5 Is LOS blocked by a building *hex* or by the graphic of the building?

#6 When there are buildings and roads in the same hex how do you handle movement and LOS? For instance, on Map 1...

...vehicles shouldn't be able to move from G4 to G5 even though they're both road hexes, right?

...entering G5 from F5 or H5 is one MP because you're moving along a road, but you get -3 Building Cover, right?

...is there LOS between H5 and E5?

...you can move from D5 to D4 without ever being "in the open" because they're both building hexes, and opp fire would never get the -1 advantage?

#7 It seems that as in SL/ASL the terrain features are not drawn to map scale, ie weapons ranges and the map art are out of synch. I have half a mind to draw some maps with 1.5+ inch hexes (so you can spread out the counters) and much smaller building/tree artwork. It would give a nicer sense of a large battlespace.

#8 Has anyone tried using SL/ASL scenarios by just using those maps and using the same unit types? It seems like very little adaptation would be necessary, just sub counters and game system. Even the SL/ASL maps would work; most terrain types are similar. I ask because, hey, box full of SL/ASL maps in the garage...

Maybe this should be multiple threads. We can split off any topic that needs serious debate, I'm just trying to get a handle on this system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I know:

#1 Not that I know of...

#2 I believe around 50-10 meters... if my memory serves

#3 Hmmmmm....

#4 Unit is a Squad or Half-squad

#5 LOS blocked by Hex

#6 LOS is blocked by the building, vehicles can move because of the road

#7 Suit yourself

#8 Try it out and tell us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I can see how posting redone scenarios could make some people itchy. But I think all we may have to do is assemble some guidelines for swapping the counters in. There doesn't need to be a scenario file, just a translator.

I'll work on it and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

#3 Can you use enemy support weapons? SWs are destroyed when a squad is eliminated, but if a SW is left behind for some other reason should you leave the counter on the map for recovery or capture?

If unit is slaughtered they drop the support weapons. At least we play it this way. Of course this calls for some rolls if the squad should be eliminated by some mass destruction - like artillery fire or something similar. It's the feeling that matters. If you like something, use it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules say the SW is destroyed if the squad is eliminated, which I guess means by fire, barrage, sniper, vehicle destruction, etc. Someone had asked whether a SW could be left behind deliberately, which raises the question of captured use.

The only other time I can think of for a weapon to get dropped would be if there were a leader and two half squads in a hex, each carrying a SW for a total of three. In the Command phase the leader orders the two half squads to combine, so now their portage capacity is *two* sw, thus one is now present, but uncarried. If they move off do they leave the sw behind? If so can the enemy grab it and use it?

I'm a little iffy about a squad not being able to carry two LMGs when two half squads could. But there are people who know a lot more than me about the nitty gritty. Maybe they'd just grab one weapon and all the ammo and leave the empty gun behind, more or less "destroying" it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.