4 Posts

Android» Forums » General

Subject: Toolbox Aspect (Redux) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
First, apologies for me being half asleep and posting this in the Review Forum (/face palm). One of those days...

Anyway.

A question that may be hard for someone to answer. I will try to frame this the best way I know how.

I have returned to boardgames via FFG and have purchased Elder Sign and a complete Arkham Horror set up. I love both of those games.

What I like the most is what I call the toolbox aspect of a game. Even as a child I was writing new rules for games (or 'ruining' them...in my little brothers opinion and love RPG games because you get to do a lot of creating and crafting.

Android seems to be a real love/hate no-middle-ground kind of game. But it seems like it would be a great toolbox to build one or even more games out of. I haven't studied all the variants yet because I was curious about just having this aspect addressed.

I would be aiming to make it play solo, which I know is next to impossible, but I love the film Blade Runner and it just seems like there might be a real gem hidden in there to mine out. A bottom up re-write even. Create new custom components if necessary.

My question then - Does it have enough 'openness' in the flavor text (I don't know how to describe that exactly but it sounds like on the FFG forums that new stories could be written for it as is and expansions designed for it) and enough components to form new experiences out of.

And yes, I know, I'm a sick puppy but this is half the fun of a game to me. It's why I prefer RPGs that are more 'old school' (you make rulings) than 'new school' (you look up rules).

Thanks in advance for any help and incite,

The Puppet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the toolbox aspect. Sure you might come up with something, but Android is actually a very tight design. Almost every aspect of the game is tied at each other.

For example, a lot of the twilight (character) cards refer specific places on the map so it's difficult to create new maps without inventing a big part of the game. Unlike AH's more 'open' cards (they're generic enough to be used by all characters), Android cards are crafted specifically to a character, location, and even with a specific timing.

BUT, if you like to create characters with their own stories, Android background and mechanics are ripe for such modifications.

Also, if you do want to wholly create the game... well... nothing is impossible if you're determined enough.

EDIT: I hope you understand what I said... because sometimes Android can be a very difficult game to explain verbally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Hey, just like Arkham Horror, clear as mud (that's a yes I understand and am a sick person .

Thanks for the insight...I'm looking forward to the card game...I'm calling it Elder Droid

(jeeez...these days are getting to long)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android is a completely character driven story. What would be cool would be templates for creating new characters and twilight cards, new suspects etc...

As for solo playing... i don't see why it would be impossible to create a solo variant. The key to it would be a clock or timer like Runebound (Second Edition). Bleachedlizard did a wonderful job re-tuning Android into the game he wanted, it's really got me thinking about creating a solo variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.