CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently decided to change the room we use as an office into a board gaming room. I'll keep the computer in there for homework and other work but just get rid of the desk it sits on and find a smaller option. The centerpiece of this room will be a square table. I might build it or try to find some used table on craigslist or an antique store. Not really sure yet but leaning toward the craigslist/antique store route. Either way, I'm trying to figure out just how big a table I should be looking for. I have other board games but I know SMG is and will likely remain the largest game I need to accomodate. I have Day of Days and Road to Carentan so far. On the table I use now, I am already in a situation where some of the Road to Carentan scenarios are going to be unplayable unless I want to move to the floor. Not tempting. With that in mind and a looming table purchase, I'm trying to figure out how big SMG will be once Jeff's vision is fully realized.

Some basic figures...
Standard sized tile = 5" x 5"
Landmark sized tile = 10" x 10"
SMG border corner piece (largest of the border pieces) = 4.25" x 4.25"

Armed with those figures and the scenario books here is what I have so far.

Day of Days (Max table space needed - L 38.5" x W 28.5")
All scenario maps in Day of Days are or are the equivalent of 6 tiles long by 4 tiles wide. In addition to these tiles, each sides border contains two corner pieces which combined add 8.5" to the basic dimensions of the pictured map in each scenario.

Road to Carentan (Max table space needed - L 58.5" x W 38.5")
The scenario booklet for Road to Carentan contains a variety of map configurations. Measured in tiles they are 10 x 4, 8 x 6, and 6 x 6. As with Day of Days, in addition to these tiles, each sides border contains two corner pieces which combined add 8.5" to the basic dimensions of the pictured map in each scenario. In order to play all scenarios, you would need a table or surface capable of containing a 10 x 6 tile map plus the added border.

The current table I play on now is 56" long x 36" wide with an option to add in a 18" leaf. So, as you can see, based on the Road to Carentan map dimensions the only scenario my table can accomodate is the 10 x 4 maps. The others will have borders over the edge of my table on two sides.

With these two games it seems I'd be good with a 60" x 60" square table. That doesn't leave much room but would be servicable. However, looking ahead...how much bigger, if any, are these maps expected to get with future expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Causeway is currently expected to have as much map as Day of Days and Carentan, combined. Certainly 4 Landmarks, possibly 32 squares.

We are not done with all the scenarios, but I should think most would limit themselves to the pieces that come in the box.

There are a couple more expansions in preliminary stages, but they may or may not resemble Carentan in size. There were strong reasons for providing a big jump in space for Carentan. Future expansions might be as simple as 1-2 Landmark tiles and scenarios and extra goodies-- maybe this one includes a character or that one includes some 3D terrain.

Of course, it would be possible to combine Causeway with the first two releases (and the pix from Historicon were using that size of map.) But I would not expect there to be many scenarios written (at least for awhile) that call for that large a space, for the simple reasons your question lines out. You have a system with automatic DyO abilities, so that guys with "everything" AND the space to use it can conjure something up pretty easily.

In game system terminology, Day of Days is a "Story" and Carentan is a "chapter" in that story. So those two are connected. Causeway will be a
different Story with chapters of it's own.

Making up scenarios that used Causeway AND Day AND Carentan will, I believe, be limited to online offerings. It is only fair that LBG does provide some things for the folks with everything, while the individual
boxes folks pay for should be pretty self-contained.

We have always planned that Causeway would be a possible entry point a person could use to get started (but with very little overlap with Day, so that a person who wanted both would not be duping very much...rules,
rulers, corner pieces...not much else). By that concept, there should not be scenarios in Causeway that "require" you to own Day or Carentan.

Hope that makes sense, and helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always build a table and incorporate some folding leafs to it. I hope to have a game/computer room in my next house. Getting this one ready to sell is going to be the end of me.

Another idea is to have several tables all the same height and put them together for a big game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although nice to have, the border tiles aren't really necessary - the map pieces hold together just fine on their own. Your table is about the size of my kitchen table - you can leave the border off and fit the current sets on the table you have now.

Once the maps get much bigger, I will need to find some new space as well. That is an issue with most miniatures games - a 4ft x 6 ft play area is a pretty standard requirement for most systems. Of course the old school naval miniatures games required a gymnasium floor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.