12 Posts

Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals» Forums » General

Subject: Big meeples are just too small? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Ariel González
Argentina
flag msg tools
Hi there, I want to know if I'm the only one here who has this problem. When playing Inns & Cathedrals and using the Big meeple, we -my group and I- tend to not differenciate the common meeples with the big one. I mean if you place one next to the other you may note the difference but if they aren't close it's like a bit difficult to differenciate them. Do you have the same problem or you just differenciate them easily? Any solutions? Thanks guys!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they were a bit bigger but we don't have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A few people I've played with also don't really notice. You could mark the big meeple somehow, maybe a dot in the centre. Or you could get these stickers and just use them on the big meeples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rel14 wrote:
Hi there, I want to know if I'm the only one here who has this problem. When playing Inns & Cathedrals and using the Big meeple, we -my group and I- tend to not differenciate the common meeples with the big one. I mean if you place one next to the other you may note the difference but if they aren't close it's like a bit difficult to differenciate them. Do you have the same problem or you just differenciate them easily? Any solutions? Thanks guys!meeple

Nearly all of the various groups I've played with were never bothered by it, although it's possible some of them felt the same way but never shared it. One person did ask NOT to use the big meeples on the board, but for scoring instead, citing the same reason as you.

And I agree, perhaps consider putting stickers, using a sharpie to mark them (may not work with the black and other darker colored meeples), or using something like nail polish, or glitter may make it stand out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the big meeple is hard to distinguish, check out this green guy (the mayor from Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor). Basically a regular sized meeple upper part, with big pants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
If you think the big meeple is hard to distinguish, check out this green guy (the mayor from Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor). Basically a regular sized meeple upper part, with big pants...

I've ordered some Settler meeples to use as mayors, to get around this visibility issue. I'd love to get some Carson City meeples to use as double followers, but they seem very tough to find for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ariel González
Argentina
flag msg tools
Thanks guys for all the replies and suggestions. I guess I'll mark them with a sharpie or with stickers like some of you said, so as to make them more visible and finally avoid this little problem meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have one person in our group who has that problem, but he has problems with his eyes (just ask him... he'll tell you that he was written up in a medical journal when he was 12).

To solve the problem, we used a silver sharpy... On dot on the top of the head, the hands and the soles of the feet was sufficient to differentiate the big meeple. (His name is Bruno, by the way... at least to our group.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McNeil
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
(His name is Bruno, by the way... at least to our group.)

In our group he doesn't have a name. He has a title: The Übermeeple.

We've never had any trouble differentiating, and if I notice someone placing the Übermeeple on a tile that doesn't make sense strategically, I point it out in case it was unintended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Rutland
United Kingdom
Leyton
LONDON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Nearly all of the various groups I've played with never brought it, although it's possible some of them felt the same way but never shared it. One person did ask NOT to use the big meeples on the board, but for scoring instead, citing the same reason as you.

I'm not quite with you. You mean they didn't like the majority rule?

swheelock wrote:
Gruumsh wrote:

I've ordered some Settler meeples to use as mayors, to get around this visibility issue. I'd love to get some Carson City meeples to use as double followers, but they seem very tough to find for some reason.

I distinguish the mayor meeple by his tapering arms and bellbottom legs, but I agree, it's close. I also have the same problem with the Messenger and Thief Meeples until I realise the thief is wearing what at first glance is a sombrero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CorporalRutland wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Nearly all of the various groups I've played with never brought bothered by it, although it's possible some of them felt the same way but never shared it. One person did ask NOT to use the big meeples on the board, but for scoring instead, citing the same reason as you.

I'm not quite with you. You mean they didn't like the majority rule?
So far, only one person was bothered by it. Dunno if in other groups, if people were bothered by how close the large and regular meeples looked. If there were those that felt that way for everyone else, no1 spoke up about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hammond
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my home set I put a small strip of masking tape across the top of each one... a silver sharpie sounds like a great idea, though

I also call it The Übermeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.