7 Posts

Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rampage, and "Immediate Battle" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Von Hax
Norway
flag msg tools
Tonight we had a disagreement that baffles me.

Khorne plays Rampage, and suddenly 2 players argue that only Khorne gets to roll his battle dice, even if others in the region had fighters there.

I (and the majority) argued that "conduct a battle" does not mean freely assassinate, but that a Battle will be fought, by all sides, as normal.

A battle is a battle is a battle. (Even if it is not a "battle phase")

What do you think? Is there perhaps an official reply I have missed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DarthSmeg wrote:
Tonight we had a disagreement that baffles me.

Khorne plays Rampage, and suddenly 2 players argue that only Khorne gets to roll his battle dice, even if others in the region had fighters there.

I (and the majority) argued that "conduct a battle" does not mean freely assassinate, but that a Battle will be fought, by all sides, as normal.

A battle is a battle is a battle. (Even if it is not a "battle phase")

What do you think? Is there perhaps an official reply I have missed?

The card says:

Quote:
When you play this card, conduct an immediate battle in this region.

It is a full blown battle. Which means Khorne, along with all other gods, fight in normal turn order. So everyone rolls dice if able and casualties are taken.

Then when the battle phase rolls around, another battle will take place as normal.

All the card is doing is starting another battle, giving Khorne more opportunity to kill and earn DACs and potentially whittle away enemy figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here is the FAQ entry on rampage:

Q: Khorne’s Chaos card “Rampage” says
it conducts an immediate battle. Is this
considered a battle phase?

A: No. “Rampage” conducts an immediate battle in the
region, not an entire battle phase. Players interrupt the
summoning phase to resolve a battle in this region. After
finishing the battle, players resume the summoning
phase with Nurgle’s turn. Because this is not a battle
phase, card effects that trigger during the battle phase
do not take effect.

While not directly answering the question (just distinguishing between a battle and battle phase), it does say that they resolve the battle in this region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread should be moved to the rules folder for the Horned Rat expansion.

(Having never seen the Rampage card, this discussion had me confused until I found the card in the Horned Rat expansion images.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Horned Rat forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Von Hax
Norway
flag msg tools
Yeah, sorry for the confusion about the forum (It was late).

The arguments by Brian were the arguments I fielded. The counter argument was that this would make the card much weaker, and in many cases not be to Khorne's advantage.

To which I replied that this is the case for all cards, they are more or less situational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DarthSmeg wrote:
Yeah, sorry for the confusion about the forum (It was late).

The arguments by Brian were the arguments I fielded. The counter argument was that this would make the card much weaker, and in many cases not be to Khorne's advantage.

To which I replied that this is the case for all cards, they are more or less situational.

There is a similar card for Khorne in the base game: Reborn in Blood. It is also situational but it calls for a 2nd battle in the Battle Phase. It can backfire on Khorne if he some bad rolls in the first battle but it is the risk he takes to spill more blood than usual.

You really don't want to be using these if you have a single Warrior there or your Cultists aren't upgraded to attack. On the flip side, if there are a ton of enemy cultists just miling around trying to ruin the region, have a party with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.