Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a bead on a new copy of Eclipse from a friend for $100, still in the shrinkwrap. Its a big cost, and Im not sure if I want it, or Star Trek: Fleet commander.

The reason im leaning towards FC, is for the theme which I may be able to talk the wife into playing. And I like the models.

I know Epic is much more of a CIV / TI3 style game, so they are not similar in concept.

If anyoneone has played the both of them, could you share your thoughts and insights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played ST:FC, but I noticed you rated Merchants & Marauders a 10. I got the same feelings playing Eclipse that I did by playing M&M, only magnified times 10. It's an incredible game, and if you're lucky enough to have the opportunity to get it, do it. I, too, paid the full $100 for it--much more than I've ever paid for a game--but I haven't regretted it. It hasn't climbed into the top ten in no time for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse. Every day. For the rest of your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a planned reprint any time soon? (By planned, I mean well communicated from the publisher).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
I own and have played both. They're very different games, but overall I much prefer Eclipse.

The thing I like about Fleet Captains is the theme. The Encounters have a lot of cool Star Trek flavour to them, so if you and your wife really like Star Trek that's a nice draw. Overall, though, what puts me off considering Fleet Captains a great game is how very random it is; you have random Encounters, random location tiles, random ship draws, random missions, random action cards.

Eclipse has a lot more meat to it while not being too complicated a game, IMO. There's deeper planning and strategy, and it doesn't feel as much like it's the game playing you. It is a little more complicated than Fleet Captains, but if you and your wife are okay with a kind of middleweight Euroish complexity, then I'd go with it.

Also, I think ST:FC and Eclipse both play pretty well with 2-player, but Eclipse becomes better with more players while (I've heard) ST:FC doesn't play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I prefer Eclipse by far, but, I like more complexity and thinking.

FC has so much theme, well, it could open a theme park. It's just pure Star-treky fun (a game you can drink while playing; all you want, and still have a chance to win ). Get ready for some major disapointment when you see the tiles. Ships are great, tiles are almost print and play quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I HAVE PLAYED BOTH.

2) questions.

1) Is your wife a fan of Star Trek?
2) Is most of your gaming just you and your wife?
3) Do you trust her? What I mean is, do you think she'd go behind your back? Try to hamstring you? ... Because if you do trust her, there's no reason in the world you can't keep every cent of that money. ... If you want to keep that money, all of it, just give it to your wife. See, the IRS allows you a one-time-only gift to your spouse. It's good up to sixty thousand dollars. ... Tax free. IRS can't touch one cent.

Okay, I'll Dufresne from making anymore prison jokes.

If you answered yes to both questions then immediately get ST:FC. It is an excellent game and is definitely worth every cent. A lot of people have complained about the game, but every one who owns it, loves it. The cards are a bit thin but just sleeve them with some thick sleeves and they'll feel fine.

If you answered NO to both then immediately buy ECLIPSE. It's an excellent game. I own it. I do not own FC as 3 of my friends own it. ECLIPSE is a great game but you really need to play at least a 4player game to really appreciate the game. 2player works well, but it's not the same.

If you answered YES & NO, buy both games. You won't regret it. They're both excellent games and will last a good long while. Tom Vasel from the Dice Tower ranked FC as the #10 game of ALL TIME, and the man has played over 2500 different games. E is nothing like TI3. There's no political intrigue or role selection. E is more of an efficient economic euro-wargame than an epic ameritrash space opera. You'll need 1 house rule to make yourself truly love FC; however, you may need to have several house rules to make yourself truly love E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both also. STFC has a great theme but I was not a fan of the components but the game play is fun overall, but the components really killed it. Also the clicks didn't work well. Eclipse I love its my best game in my collection and I can't wait to play again. I honestly felt ripped off a bit by Wiz kids with STFC and I was lucky enough to trade it off. Eclipse I was so thankful i got it on pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Any game is only as good as the people you play it with. Perhaps you should first check with your wife if she'd really play STFC with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
Is there a planned reprint any time soon? (By planned, I mean well communicated from the publisher).

Yes. See this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8247025#8247025
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
How is this a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out, it really depends on
- how much you value theme in a game
- how much of a Trekkie you are.

You can definitely get Eclipse reprinted in a lower price though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
STFC is either 2-player or 2-sided.
Eclipse is best multiplayer.
If you want a multiplayer game choose Eclipse.
If you want a 2-player game I'd look at a few other options before choosing STFC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
I HAVE PLAYED BOTH.

2) questions.

1) Is your wife a fan of Star Trek?
2) Is most of your gaming just you and your wife?
3) Do you trust her? What I mean is, do you think she'd go behind your back? Try to hamstring you? ... Because if you do trust her, there's no reason in the world you can't keep every cent of that money. ... If you want to keep that money, all of it, just give it to your wife. See, the IRS allows you a one-time-only gift to your spouse. It's good up to sixty thousand dollars. ... Tax free. IRS can't touch one cent.

1) My wife once watched every Origonal Trek movie back to back in a long maration.
2) She is my primary partner.
3) I told you she is my primary partner! Just becaue of that incident in Mexio with the latin girl and the villa, every one assumes I was cheating! Well they never DID find that girl, and my wife will never go back to the big house... NEVER.

My wife loves Ameritrash theme games. She like Merchants, and Ghost Stories, she loves Arkham Horror (as many females do), and I think she would play, and enjoy ST:FC. The kids are too young, and all have brains like ferrets anyway.

So Ill probably get ST:FC. I just keep reading all the HYPE around this game that its the BESTEST GAME EVER..... and wondering what im missing. Like that latin girl in mexico.... *sniff*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. Had I found Fleet Captains as a ten year old, I would have loved every fiddle little second. Playing as an adult who's a sometimes watcher of the shows, I found my experience to be meh. Fleet Captains needs to sell you with the theme, which it has plenty of. The game underneath the theme is okay. I am very glad I never bought it.

At the game store, Fleet Captains has been played twice, even though it's a store copy and always available (and we have Trek fans). Eclipse gets played every board game night unless everyone assumes everyone else is bringing their copy.

If you LOVE Star Trek, go for it and enjoy it. If you love space conquest go for Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.