Popular Tags: [View All]
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that my email has been hacked by spammers. There is nothing in my sent folders but it seems that there are spam emails going to everyone I have ever sent email to, not just those in my address book. How can I stop this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Change your password and security questions immediately, preferably from a different computer. Update your virus and malware software and run some scans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In addition to the above, you can contact your ISP to inform them of the misuse of your account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scans are not showing anything. Is there anything that I can download to run a better scan. Currently I am using AVG and right now I am not in a position to buy anything.

Password changed, ISP notified, and everyone who got an email has been notified not to click on any links in email that comes from that address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check your address book for suspicious contacts & entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not necessarily the case that your account was hacked. You can send out emails using sender information that is not your own. If a spammer has gotten hold of your email address (and that is hardly a secret) he can send emails in your name. There is no need to use your account.

Now, if ALL of your contacts were mailed, then perhaps your account WAS hacked, and your address list stolen. But that means that the damage is done; changing your password will not help to defend against that. Not that changing your password is a bad idea by any means...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you do not use the same password on other accounts, such as your online banking if you do that. If they have got the password, they could try access other accounts, based on info in your emails, such as your bank, paypal, share dealing and so forth.

Without being paranoid, you may consider changing all your passwords. There is an easy way to do this. Simply select a short word, such as egg or hen, add a number, such as 6, then change the password to xxxxegg6 where xxxx is the name of the website. So if you bank with I don't know Chemical Bank, when you go to their site and log on, your new password would be chemicalegg6. Paypal would be paypalegg6. That way, you have an original, unique, strong, unguessable password for every site without having to remember the passwords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully nothing that matters has the same password. However, I will be going through and changing my password on a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This might help if you're trying to develop good, secure passwords:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought you really wanted to send me pix of hot young singles dying to meet me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I no longer keep a contacts list on my email, or on my computer for that matter! Pen and paper, still virus-free after 10,000 years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.