United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: Manado: Getting Their Feet Wet!

Posting #1

*In this scenario, the Japanese only have 12 turns to try to capture the Dutch airfield Langoan and eliminate as many steps as possible, in fact both sides have the same objectives, so this should be interesting and fast. Also, this scenario has Naval Japanese Paratroopers.

*The Japanese faired pretty well with drop zone landing, yes there are a few disrupt or demoralized units and there is certainly some scattered units but compared to other drops I have had, this one isn’t too bad. Also 3 units and one leader are delayed a few turns, and two units and one leader landed off board so they will arrive later as well. The Dutch have a nasty entrenchment adjacent to the airfield with most of their forces dug-in around and a few Infantry units and an Armored Car unit (Overvalwagen) in reserve in the nearby town.

*The Japanese don’t have too much time to play around with, so they must get organized fast and when should I commit the Dutch from the town or should they just go attack the scatter Japanese units to keep them from getting to the airfield? This should be fun.

Posting #2

*In this scenario, the Dutch proved a hard nut to crack but they didn’t crack. The Entrenchment & dug-in units surrounding the airfield with the backup units in the town north of the airfield hitting the Japanese at just the right time, helped blunt the Japanese. The Japanese will need help from the seaborne 1st SNLF to win the airfield this time. The Dutch win a Minor victory with a 3 point lead, mostly because they controlled the airfield, as believe it or not the steps eliminated were even at three each.

*The Japanese just could never pull it all together in the 12 turn time period and the entrenchment just kept pouring the fire out on the exposed Japanese Paratroopers. The Dutch almost paid the price earlier, losing a step of AC’s to the Japanese 37mm AT gun but pulled that unit back to the airfield. An Interesting scenario for both sides to try.

#2: Koepang, Day One

*This looks to be an interesting scenario pitting the Australians & Dutch against the Japanese Naval Airborne Troops. In this scenario the Japanese have already landed about 10.5 miles from the airfield objective in thick jungle terrain with some dirt roads mixed in here and there but they will try to avoid direct contact with the Allied force and try to exit one of two points off the map. No airborne landing rules in this scenario. The Allies also have reinforcement that roll to come on the map starting on turn 3, so the original starting force must block the Japanese as road blocks before the get too far west or north.

*The Japanese come on the map in the far southeast and use the road until they make contact with the Allied units, form here they spilt off into two groups trying the make the Allies do the same, so they are not too strong and they have to spread out in many different blocking positions making them weaker.

*Once all the Allied reinforcement arrive, the Allies decide to go on the offensive and send one attacking force North and one attacking force South to attack both groups of Japanese and at the same time some units remain to block both exit points from the Japanese. So far the plan is working to the Japanese advantage.

*In the North, it becomes a slugfest and both sides start losing too many steps. In the south the Japanese find a gap and exit 7 steps.

*The scoring system of points is like this: The Japanese get points for exiting units and eliminating Allied steps, the Australians & Dutch get points for remaining Japanese on the map at the end of 40 turns and for eliminating Japanese steps.

*After all was said and done, the Allies had 24 points and the Japanese had 34 points for a minor Japanese victory. To tell you the truth, as few dice rolls here or there and it could have been a draw or the other way, a Japanese Major victory but if I had transferred more Allied units for the North, once they had the situation under control, to the South, they would have blocked all the Japanese from exiting and would have destroyed more Japanese units, for mostly likely an Allied minor victory. So a few strategies different can really change the outcome for either side.

*I thought with all this jungle, it would be a slow scenario but not at all, it was very fun to play and the first 10-12 turns is all about positioning and movement, so it plays faster then you think.

Small errata:

Should have one Dutch Tank Leader and Eliminated Armored Cars & Tanks should count double for points not just the AC's.

#3: Koepang, Day Two

Posting #1

*One small but important errata: The second group of Allied troops enter from the West edge of Board 34 NOT the East edge! My fault on this one.

*Ok, I having a go at day two and hoping not to repeat some mistakes I did with the Allies on day one, which they should have won but lost. Day two is even harder on the Allies in Koepang but I have learned and now I have an Australian Brigadier General leading the Australian & Dutch troops. The Japanese start with some remnants from day one as do the Allies but both have reinforcements on turn one. The Victory objectives are the same as day one, eliminating units for both sides, exiting units for the Japanese and preventing the two exiting hexes from being exited for the Allies. I am ready for the challenge or the second round!

Posting #2

*I just noticed, I forgot to use fire-first rule in the jungle on day one scenario! Dang, that would have made it a tighter game that scenario. Now back to day two!

*Learning my lesson from scenario #2, I decided not to confront the Japanese but to defend both exit points with an equal mix force of Dutch and Australians because the Australians have a higher morale value that really helps out against the Japanese 9/8 morale.
*At his point the Japanese decided not to spilt their forces and go all out for one exit point on the map, the west one. After the Japanese had pretty much committed to a one exit point focus the Allies pulled most of their units guarding the Northern exit point to the battle in the middle which cause the Japanese to have to fight on two sides in many case. The Allies had some good dice rolls for a change and inflicted some good casualties. The Japanese were eventually able to exit some units off the West edge exit point but not enough. The Dutch/Australians win a minor victory and one point away from a major victory. The Japanese should have spilt their force like day one where they had more success. The Australian Engineer unit was useful to offset the Japanese assault in one of the major areas of fighting and the Australians General carried the day but as we all know, his army’s days were limited.

#4: Palembang

*This scenario has actual Refinery & Airfield counters and the mostly Dutch with a few British units in support vs. the Japanese. This scenario also actually has a parachute drop. 5 out of the 10 scenarios have parachute or glider landings or mix of both. Besides step losses as victory point, the Airfields in the southwest and the refineries in the Northeast are where the main points are.

*At first I wasn’t sure about what AP did with my parachute drop & glider landing rules, as they seem more involved then I wanted but after using them, I really enjoyed that part of the game. There is more to keep track of the first couple of turns but is gives the Allied units with the weaker morale a better chance in 1942, as the Japanese have a very high morale in 1942 which falls off a bit in the 1944-45 scenarios.

*With the new drop rules, the Japanese really start off scattered around, some in demoralized or disrupted state and one lost a step and about half made the actual drop zone area. Some came on latter turns then planned, so it took me at least four turns to get everybody in some sort or organized fighting condition for the Japanese side, as few units were able to go forward right way. This was kind of a new fun twist in PG.

*The Allies had three forces, some Dutch at the airfield, some Dutch at the town of Palembang, required by setup and smaller detachment of the British Anti-aircraft, Infantry and some Dutch Engineers up in the refinery area. When the landing came, the Dutch sent their units in Palembang to reinforce their units at the airfield. The problem was, the Dutch at the airfield shouldn’t have waited around for reinforcement and just attacked the scattered, demoralized and disrupted Japanese paratrooper right away before they got organized. Once the Japanese got organized, time was on their side with the higher morale and took the airfield after about 15 turns, with most of the Dutch units in that area eliminated, demoralized or in the jungle south but still the Japanese had to leave units around the airfield, as there were just enough Dutch to take it back again if they left, so only a few could pull out and help their brothers still fighting in the north at the refineries.

*The refineries were kind of a different story, as the Japanese did really not have enough forces there and the British have a higher morale then the Dutch not to mention a big 40mm Anti-aircraft gun, that with some of their reduced infantry and some nasty Dutch Engineers made their lives difficult in the North. They lost over half their casualties there and one Japanese Lieutenant deserted and the other had a morale of only 7. How did I draw that counter? Being leaderless for a while, there wasn’t much for the Japanese to do but take pot-shots.

*Once the Japanese sent reinforcements to the north, the Dutch Engineers blow all the refineries up, denying the Japanese points and resources but also losing those victory points to themselves as well.

*The Japanese won a major victory, 24 points to 7 point a 17 point difference. Originally in my design the Allies would have received 3 points for each refinery destroyed and this would have changed the outcome to a minor Japanese victory but AP dropped this in the scenario but still allowed blowing them up for point denial.

*With such a higher morale, the Allies should have tried three different tactics to maybe change the outcome. One as I mentioned before, attack the Japanese right away, when they are scattered all over the place. Two, maybe blowup the refineries right away and sent those Northern units south to help defend the airfield or three, abandoned the airfield and defend the refineries. I am not sure the Allies can defend both areas unless they have luck in the beginning attacking disorganized Japanese units. Fun to play but with some of the changed victory conditions, I think it favors the Japanese a bit unless you use my counter strategies.

#5: The Burauen Raid, Wa Operation

Posting #1

*This scenario, after just one turn is looking to be a blast, pardon the pun. It starts out with some interesting setup decisions for the Americans and interesting Assembly Point/Drop Zone decisions for the Japanese as well. There are 5 airfields but 8 airfield markers, as three of the airfields are larger. The Japanese get three points for every airfield marker under their control and the Americans get points for every Japanese step eliminated and that is it.

*The terrain is a real factor so the Japanese choose only three areas to drop in, that are more in the open and half their group come in by Gliders and the other half by parachute drop. In fact, 5 out of the 10 scenarios in Nihon Silk are actual airdrops/glider landings. The Landings by air usually take 1-4 turns as there are delays and AP’s new drop rules are excellent.

*After the first turn almost half of the Japanese landing force will be delayed, either one, two or three turns. They have lost two steps in the landing so far and have 4 disrupted units and two demoralized units and the airdrop units are scattered more then the glider units and the Americans are already taking pot shots and ranging some artillery on them but the Americans are weaker in force but dug-in with some supporting heavy weapons units, like the M16, 40mm AA gun and some on and off board artillery. It will take the Japanese 3-4 turns to get seriously organized but they have more units coming and the American are very scattered as well, defending all those airfields that they thought were safe in the rear area. This looks like it will be a very fun scenario to play out.

Posting #2

*After four turns, the Japanese are all landed and the units that landed in earlier turns have already advanced on the three nearest airfields, saving the other two for later. Only one looks pretty good so far, the larger one on map 10 in the more open terrain where most of the Japanese have concentrated. But even though they control one airfield marker so far, they have lost 4 steps total and they cannot afford too many more 3 point airfield hexes for 4 points of unit losses. Now they are starting to get more organized so who knows how this will go over the remaining 22 turns.

*Now what to do with the American units, reinforce the airfields under attack, pulling out the small units guarding their own airfield and risking major point losses or just try to hold on inflicting as many step losses as possible on the Japanese before pulling back, as the Japanese do not receive victory point for eliminated American units.

*Also, are the Japanese attacking too many airfields at once, should they just concentrate on one or two at a time but if they do that, they won’t have enough time to secure enough of them, to win?

Posting #3

The battle in the middle is turning into a quagmire and up north where is another smaller battle going on. The two airfields on the peripheral are still on touched by battle. The Japanese overran and American Artillery 105mm battery but paid the price for it later, as an adjacent American Para Infantry unit unleashed rifle fire and rolled a 12. Go stuff so far but the Americans are still leading by three points but it looks like a few more airfields may fall some, so it is anyone game at this point.

Posting #4

*This battle had a little bit of everything as far as decision making. There was a lot of maneuver and I enjoyed the whole battle right to the conclusion. The Japanese took four airfield markers for 12 points but the Americans received 23 points for destroyed Japanese steps, while the Japanese do not receive points for eliminated American steps. So the point difference was 11 points, so a Major American Victory. There were two American airfields that were contested and with a turn or two more the Japanese would have had a draw with 12 more points.

*The American M16 is very deadly with a 24-7 direct fire value. It was responsible for at least 4 Japanese step losses and I recommend placing it by one of the airfields in the open terrain area as this is a great asset to have. Just get adjacent to it will really cost the enemy. The Japanese needed to move some units out of the controlled airfields sooner to and they would have had a better chance of controlling more of them and winning. Also, the Americans did pull some units out of uncontested areas, to help out against contested airfields, as time was on their side when they made these decisions. Lastly, visibility goes down to one hex at some point in the game.

*This is a great scenario to play!

#6: Bayug Airstrip, Day Two

Posting #1

*Looking at this on paper I am thinking the Americans have the advantage with a few more units, better morale against the Japanese Army units but not the Japanese Para units and more off board artillery 3 x 18 , though the Japanese do have a 1 x10 off board artillery for the first time in Nihon Silk. The only thing that will help the Japanese in this scenario is to close fast and charge to assault hexes.

*This is a crazy scenario in the fact that both sides start so close to the main objectives, the two airfield hexes. You have the Japanese Paratroops in the Jungle adjacent to the airfield north, you have the American starting units also adjacent to the airfield, you have the major Japanese Army units in the Jungle just to the west and the major American reinforcement coming on the board to the east, on turn one. The fighting starts right away, no time to relax!

*I feel the Japanese are hardest pressed in this scenario compared to all the rest but after three turns, the assault stacks are already forming the Japanese had to close the gap fast, before the American Artillery took too great of a toll. After three turns, both sides are already taking step losses, so who knows, it’s still any ones game! *It looked like a large Calvary charge from days of old!

Posting #2

*The Japanese were able to jump off right away in to assault hexes with the few Paratroopers they had left from the jungle hexes directly above the airfield hexes north. The Japanese Army units in the jungle west of the airfields ran into the reinforcing American Paratrooper units coming from the east, as the two walls collided. The Japanese Army units had a lower morale of 7/6 compared to their brothers in arms, the Japanese Para units at 8/7, so against Americans with their 8/7, they had to assault here as well, to get those assault hex column modifiers to stand a chance.

*The weaker morale of the Japanese Army units started to show, after many turn of assault combat and those that left the hexes got pummeled by American artillery. The two Japanese assault hexes on the airfields proved to be a major pain for the Americans however, in both time and casualties. Eventually they were eliminated but it took forever. This was a bloody battle at close range, with the Japanese losing 18 steps of units and two leaders and the Americans losing 17 steps and two leaders. It would have been a draw but the American received 10 points, if no Japanese units are able to put down direct fire on either of the two airfield markers, as the American had the Japanese in full retreat in the jungle to the West, out of range of DF. The Japanese received no points for airfields controlled, so the Americans win by 11 points, a Major victory by one point. For a while the Americans were really on the ropes, which really surprised me.

*I think the only thing the Japanese could have differently was to retreat units to the jungle hexes to the north instead of to the east, where they could still put the American airfields in direct fire, even in disrupted states, denying the Americans the 10 point, forcing a draw. But still the off board artillery would make it difficult. A strategy to try next time!

#7: Valencia

*Errata: The victory condition should state: the Japanese win if they eliminate three or more American steps, anything else is an American Victory.

*This is a pretty quick scenario with a low unit count. It’s pretty straight forward; the Japanese must eliminate 3 steps of American units. AP changed this scenario to include hidden units on both side but since I am playing this SOLO, I dropped that part of the rules. It might be fun to try face to face but if not, just forget the hidden rules in this one, as the Jungle already hides movement right up to the point of contact.

*The Americans are defending a hill, and I should of said, that they have to stay on that hill to defend it but no big deal. With small scenarios like this, a few dice rolls either way can change an outcome of a game, so it’s always tense. The Japanese approach from one of the flanks from deep in the jungle and this takes about half the turns, so they must survive the initial adjacent dire-fire from the Americans and then assault and survive the Fire-First assault combat of Jungle hexes but they have a 8/7 morale with a short time period, so their best chances are to assault and get that column modifier for being Japanese. If the first assault doesn’t work assault again with a second group of troops, as I have two stacks of Japanese troops to try with.

*To my surprise the Japanese did survive with good dice rolls, the Americans pulled their demoralize units out of the stack, only to have them be assaulted by the second group of Japanese troops which actually won the game for them, the Japanese lost a step as well but that is not part of the victory conditions. The Japanese won this time but I am thinking it’s probably a 60/40 thing, that favors the Americans. The American should have stacked three combat units per hex instead of two, which would have helped them out in this scenario.

#8: Okinawa: The Giretsu Incident

*This is a very quick, tense scenario with only a two hex visibility. The Japanese have to act fast as it’s a one way suicide mission with only ten turns. Just to clarify the Americans cannot setup on the fields but as they wouldn’t be dug-in on the runways but they can be setup adjacent to the airfield dug-in or anywhere else on the map. I wasn’t sure if the setup instruction were clear enough. The Americans can’t cover all the entry points to the airfield but the line of fire can. The Japanese have a very high morale for half step units, as it’s a one way mission for the Emperor!

*The Japanese ended up having a pretty good glider landing and only one unit started disrupted. I think with Glider Landings, the Leaders should be able to land with the units as one roll per unit, unlike the Para-drops where leaders & units roll separately, thus scattered even more.

*The battle closed fast with the Japanese breaking through in a couple areas and the U.S. Marines & Army shifting from their dug-out hexes into assault hexes on the airfields. The Japanese did loss one unit on the approach but in the assault hexes, they get three column shifts: one for higher morale, one for having a leader & one for being of Japanese nationality. So they have a chance!

*The Japanese are able to destroy some American units but the Americans have twice as many and the assault combat wears both sides down. The Japanese are able to blow one airfield area, so one wreck counter is placed, they fail on their second dice roll attempt however. The game time runs out with two Japanese units left in a disrupted state & so leaders and not enough time to try to blowup two more hexes of airfields. The Americans have a victory in this game, as the Japanese needed to blow three hexes with dice rolls of 5-6. The rules do not allow Japanese units in assault hexes to attempt blowing airfields, but maybe I should have but it was closer then I thought it would be, just one more turn or a couple more successful dice rolls. Certainly fun to try!

#9: Okinawa: The Last Japanese Paratroopers

Posting #1

*I have played all my scenarios to some degree but not since AP updated them with a few rule changes to Para-Drops & Glider Landings, also a few map changes on scenario #8 & #9 and some minor victory condition changes to a few scenarios as well, not to mention they add a few hidden units rules on a few of the scenarios. Mostly the game is intact but I must play them all again to see the effects and to judge myself once again, but also for the fun of it.

*In this scenario AP changed out my Afrika Korp map for some Road to Berlin maps, which is fine by me and I am using the new Glider Landing rules, so this should be fun to play again.

*I used some Glider counters as markings for my three drop zones I picked. These counters I found from another game magazine and I knew they would be useful someday. AP choose not to use actual gliders counters for this download supplement and drop my counters from the mix, which is fine, as the new rules cover this. I picked three drop areas, but I should have maybe used four or five and I think after seeing the results of my landings, I picked my assembly points too close to the enemy units and the American will now have a bigger advantage but I will go ahead and play it out this way instead of resetting as this is more like the fog of war scenario the Japanese would most likely have faced in this scenario. Also, this is my only hypothetical scenario out of the 10 scenarios, not that it’s that hypothetical, as it was planned at one point but the war ended. Besides it has some interesting Japanese units never tried out before.

*The Japanese do not have a lot of luck on their coordinated drop timings and the units will now drop on turns ranging from 1-4. This hurts especially when some will end up demoralized, disrupted or worst. But it will be turns 5 or 6 before all of them are in action to some degree. Coming in piecemeal is not what I wanted for the Japanese. The American Marines & Army units will have a field-day with early attacks. Next time, I will land my gliders farther back from the airfields and regroup to attack as one battle-group but for now I must organize and take some airfields from the Americans. The later drops will just have to reinforce the turn one group.

Posting #2

*I am sticking to my guns and not resetting this scenario, even if the Japanese have taken a beating. The Sherman tank unit has already taken out a Japanese Type 2 tank unit and the 57mm gun took out half a step of Japanese 95/20 jeep units. A Japanese 47mm AT gun and truck unit that landed on an American Marine group is gone as well, not to mention half a step of Japanese PSMG Infantry that also landed too close. There are currently about 9-10 other Japanese units that are demoralized or disrupted but the Japanese finally have all their units on the board and should be able to fire back and have a few small attacks of their own but the next 5-6 turns will tell if it’s too little, too late or not, as they do not have that higher morale of scenarios taking place in 1942, but only a 8/7 for this scenario, which is pretty much equal to the American units.

*Reminder to myself, never land too close the enemy airfields or enemy units, or it is game over very early. Well back the battle!

Posting #3

*The Japanese managed to pull off two attacks after I thought it to be hopeless. The first one was repulsed again but one last push in the center on the second attack wave, managed to my surprise to take three airfields, as the American were still occupied to some degree from the first attack. The Americans however, were too strong and managed to take back all three airfields lost to the Japanese and there was nothing more for the scattered and too weak remaining Japanese to do, but head for the hills and fight as guerrillas. Both side lost units but the Japanese lost about twice as many and this was an American victory.

*The new late war Japanese PSMG unit has some nice power compared to the traditional Japanese Infantry but they only have a range of one hex and must get adjacent or assault to be effective against Allied units. I am I didn’t throw in the towel in the very begin, as the Japanese manage to pull together for some exciting attacks and work with the odd vehicle types was challenging was well.

*As I stated before, if I would have drop farther way from the American with closer linked drop zones, I would have given the Americans a better run for their money in this scenario but would it have been enough?

*There are some subtle changes in this scenario from the original that could have changed the balance a small bit. One was the map change from the larger Afrika Korp map to two smaller Road to Berlin maps, also the Marines & Army units starting Dug-In and lastly the Air-drop & Glider rules changes are a bit harder in the Japanese then the original version. To balance this out, I recommend taking out 3-4 Allied Infantry units, and this will be a much closer match. If not, just don’t drop too close to the airfield in this scenario, as the American have too much fire-power to go in piecemeal.

#10: San Manuel and the 2nd Armor

*This is my AAR from over a year ago, when I was first play-testing it.

*In my game, it starts out pretty interesting as both sides have same objectives and both sides have some mobility if they choose to use it. The Japanese did try to send a small blocking force south, to town hex number 1007 but the Americans beat them to activation. Sides get automatic reinforcements in the early try turns so the map turns into complex puzzle. The terrain modifications I made on this scenario makes the game very playable, as most of the jungle hexes are now light jungle, making vehicle movement easier and spotting/LOS better with only the elevation of 60 & 80 on board 35 as heavy jungle. Some other modifications in the scenario rules smooth things out as well. As I want this to be playable. Something in the Pacific with armor and a nice mix of units!

*By turn six it was turning into a bloodbath as the Americans pressed their attack harder on the first day than maybe historical. The Japanese Shinhoto’s & Ho-Ni 1’s, if dug-in to get those defense modifiers, evened things out a bit. The American pressed their armor too far ahead of their infantry, as they didn’t respect the Japanese ability to stop them. It was their demise!

*In the South, the American attacking force pretty much got blunted but they did draw enough energy from the Japanese main force and even their reinforcement group that the American Northern force made some progress in the hills above San Manuel. But there was no way to take San Manuel it’s self. The Americans were too spent.

*In the end, the outcome was a Minor Japanese Victory. Pretty Historical for day one of this battle and it setup day two, which helped wear the Japanese down.

In my game:

*The Japanese’s received 30 points for controlling all the San Manuel hexes, 5 points for controlling on entrenchment and 55 points for destroying enemy steps. For a total of 90 points!

*The American’s received 5 points for controlling town hex 1007 on board 34, 20 points for controlling all the 80 elevations hexes above San Manuel, 5 points for controlling one entrenchment and 52 points for destroying enemy steps. For a total of 82 points!

*Japanese win by 8 points, a minor victory.

*On a side note, both sides lost two leader counters each. It could have been higher, but the dice rolls help some escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.