Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the "cannot attack range" numbers(red) on the munition counters ALSO apply to suppression?

thx
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
severn8212 wrote:
Do the "cannot attack range" numbers(red) on the munition counters ALSO apply to suppression?

thx
Bill

And max attack range as well which makes the backside mig25/su27 a huge pita and the biggest reason to split up your approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why I try to always pack a couple of AIM-120s or Phoenix missiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
Hm, I'm a bit dubious about this strategy, at least for the stated reason. Enemy aircraft are hugely random, you usually have very little idea if a MiG-25 or Su-27 will even appear, much less it's location. The only information you have for potential bandits will be obtained by examining the backsides of the sites you have drawn and placed.

Jdlly wrote:
That is why I try to always pack a couple of AIM-120s or Phoenix missiles.

Seconded. Splitting up your forces still doesn't prepare you for Su-27, MiG-25, or MiG-29 draws in the center. You'll need something with longer range than AIM-7s or AIM-9s.

Plus, splitting your aircraft may force some aircraft to fly over threatening sites which can otherwise be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I don't place my planes so that I risk flying into AAA or SAM fire. But I try to come in so that I have all approach areas covered with Sparrows. Usually this means comming in on diagonal with a Tomcat closing the bracket on the back side.

This does obviously not make up for a AMRAAM or a Phoenix in my load out but it does decrease the need of these a little bit. Basicly they are only needed for the center area.

It is also true that I don't know what's gonna be drawn and I don't peak at backside of sites as that would be cheating. But you have an idea how many draws you get and how you want to load your planes for the mission, this gives a good idea of how troublesome a backside mig25 or su27 would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rule and still agree with Tomas. That wouldn't happen in real life, so peeking like that crashes me back into reality cry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reality part was tongue in cheek. But still, the more unexpected, the better for me. True, many times it's inevitable to see, but I always try not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless I always find it good to plan for worst case scenarios. Out of range Mig25s and Su27 are part of that. It CAN be a tactic to fly tight formation and try to lower the chance of attacks on your primary target buster that way. But I find it more effective to fly a wide bracket, especially with Navy. With Marines I'm much more on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.